How do I learn from mistake-or ?

teletail

Friend of Leo's
If your post isn't about guitar and music, which is really the point of this forum, read it a couple of times before you hit "post reply" and think about what you're posting and how other people might take it. It aint rocket science. I usually know when I've crossed the line.

Sometimes though - I got my account suspended over on TalkBass and when I protested, they eventually figured out that they had suspended me in error.

Dog squint 3.jpg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Remembered that I mentioned I'd gotten sick..........
Not talking about it but others may be dying to rail on a variety of banned topics.
Maybe somebody quoted that and it snowballed.
That's the third way posts get deleted.

1) we break rules
2) we quote broken rules
3) somebody quotes (or responds to) us and breaks rules

It seems that's a lot of why we get upset when our posts get deleted, if we feel we stayed just on the safe side of the rules, but implied a banned topic, and some other member picks at it then it snowballs.
If we have lives and don't run 20 computers reloading every thread every 30 seconds, we might not see those snowballs before they get reported and deleted.

Doesn't take much to start a fight here...

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
The no-politics rule is a little murky because political is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, in another forum I visit a lot, someone got his thread closed because he complained about a trendy word. He didn't think he was being political, but a moderator did. (I could've argued it either way if the thread had stayed open.)

Don't worry too much about what you might have said. You'll get the hang of it.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Better to have a little over enthusiastic moderation than to end up with a Petri dish of whack jobs like Facebook, IMO.

Sex, politics, and religion are not considered polite conversation for very good reasons.
At this point in time we may need to add Facebook to the list of banned topics!
Hell, romance is a pretty loaded topic too, though it's also arguably the core of Telecaster music.
Seems we used to be mature enough here to handle certain allowed topics but in the 2020s our level of maturity and restraint has gone down a few notches.

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
On related note....Has anyone noticed, and it could quite likely just be my own perception, that the tone in the posts have changed over the last six months? It is as if some regular posters who add character to their posts have gone "on vacation". It is like something is missing.
This poster just returned. TDPRI hasn't opened on my home computer for over a year. I'm online at the library now.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin adding character to my posts. . . .

=O[

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I learned that you can't say that there are problems in certain states west of Nevada...even while praising that state's natural beauty.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
On related note....Has anyone noticed, and it could quite likely just be my own perception, that the tone in the posts have changed over the last six months? It is as if some regular posters who add character to their posts have gone "on vacation". It is like something is missing.
Well 2020/ 2021 certainly changed the membership here, and along with that the character shifted a bit too.
Six months?
I don't recall any big shift in that time frame but it seems like a year or so ago we had regular events where a new member would post a question thread then argue with every single response.
Numerous times this happened with new members who simply could not agree with any of us and wanted to fight about the smallest thing.
Remember the one about black guitars being the only guitars capable of making complex music or some such insistent belief?
How about that long discussion where the OP insisted you can't play Rock on a Tele?

Then those OP's stopped posting at all?
Gosh, where did they go?
I'm kinda glad when Mr Combat gets it explained over and over but cannot comply so they get banned.
With no mods, some of us might easily turn into Mr Combat, right?
Then certain folks cannot be moderated into peaceful discussion.

I'm cool with a few deleted posts to prevent this place being a war zone.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I’m surprised they haven’t found a reason to make maple vs rosewood political.
Nah, that hedges the line between an asthetic deal and a "woo" thread. It's "safe" but I feel sorry for mods that have to oversee/check on those.
I figured the new layout came with an auto-block feature regarding fretboard tone. Maybe next time?
@blowtorch has been out awhile, he's still alive (posted something on YouTube yesterday. Was a good song, but he was playing a rickenbacker, so yea....) But that's the only ummm..... "color commentator" I miss much.

It depends on the topic. Some people have changed thier sermon a tad (Jakedog not preaching Marshall still doesn't compute.....) others just have been less rowdy I suppose.

I'm barely feeling it with the new layout. And I tried my options. Maybe it's because I'm using a phone.

Another option is maybe the squeaky wheels are just less angry or otherwise predisposed. I switched facilities and jobs last month, talked to my brother about recording songs we wrote 10 years ago when I saw him Saturday, and just generally feel less cranky lately. And I haven't had a post deleted since last year when I added some erm "flavor" to a thread about tire suggestions.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This poster just returned. TDPRI hasn't opened on my home computer for over a year. I'm online at the library now.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin adding character to my posts. . . .

=O[
Yeah I noticed you're an old AWOL member popping up from certain uncertainty!
Sadly, we can only wonder who is even still alive in these times.
Not saying anything about HOW!
Just we all older guys & gals so expiration dates do come up!
Every one of us gonna end up in the great spitoon in the sky one o' these days!

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Well 2020/ 2021 certainly changed the membership here, and along with that the character shifted a bit too.
Six months?
I don't recall any big shift in that time frame but it seems like a year or so ago we had regular events where a new member would post a question thread then argue with every single response.
Numerous times this happened with new members who simply could not agree with any of us and wanted to fight about the smallest thing.
Remember the one about black guitars being the only guitars capable of making complex music or some such insistent belief?
How about that long discussion where the OP insisted you can't play Rock on a Tele?

Then those OP's stopped posting at all?
Gosh, where did they go?
I'm kinda glad when Mr Combat gets it explained over and over but cannot comply so they get banned.
With no mods, some of us might easily turn into Mr Combat, right?
Then certain folks cannot be moderated into peaceful discussion.

I'm cool with a few deleted posts to prevent this place being a war zone.
How'd I miss a guy saying you cant play rock on a Tele? 50% of the pickups on a standard tele are ostensibly one of the top 3 rock pickup sounds that exist. (Its the half nearest the saddles, incase anyone is confused...)

I too am cool losing an odd post here or there. The mods here are level and thorough, keeps it a desirable place to be.

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah I noticed you're an old AWOL member popping up from certain uncertainty!
Sadly, we can only wonder who is even still alive in these times.
Not saying anything about HOW!
Just we all older guys & gals so expiration dates do come up!
Every one of us gonna end up in the great spitoon in the sky one o' these days!
A.K.A. the Golden Cuspidor!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I just saw one of my, I guess it was a reply, was deleted due to something political I don’t know exactly what, and that’s what my question goes to. Where would I see what I wrote so I could figure out what I did? Is it obvious and I’m just missing it?
Been there, done that.
Apparently, it had to do with how people reacted to it.

They said it was still my fault.

Don't poke the Bear.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I just saw one of my, I guess it was a reply, was deleted due to something political I don’t know exactly what, and that’s what my question goes to. Where would I see what I wrote so I could figure out what I did? Is it obvious and I’m just missing it?
Yeah, it's a mystery sometimes. I had one removed recently. It certainly wasn't overtly political. I have no idea what it was though and never will.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Nah, that hedges the line between an asthetic deal and a "woo" thread. It's "safe" but I feel sorry for mods that have to oversee/check on those.
I figured the new layout came with an auto-block feature regarding fretboard tone. Maybe next time?

@blowtorch has been out awhile, he's still alive (posted something on YouTube yesterday. Was a good song, but he was playing a rickenbacker, so yea....) But that's the only ummm..... "color commentator" I miss much.

It depends on the topic. Some people have changed thier sermon a tad (Jakedog not preaching Marshall still doesn't compute.....) others just have been less rowdy I suppose.

I'm barely feeling it with the new layout. And I tried my options. Maybe it's because I'm using a phone.

Another option is maybe the squeaky wheels are just less angry or otherwise predisposed. I switched facilities and jobs last month, talked to my brother about recording songs we wrote 10 years ago when I saw him Saturday, and just generally feel less cranky lately. And I haven't had a post deleted since last year when I added some erm "flavor" to a thread about tire suggestions.
I will have to say that the tone of my posts does change when things are going ok at work. I recently changed jobs and the stress level is a lot lower.

Of coarse, right now I’m just pushing it on here just for fun.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Usually if a post gets deleted you get a note in your alerts box that says it’s political and that you should read the rules and/or know better. Just move on.
If someone, somewhere could draw 3 steps to it being remotely considered political in any way it gets deleted.
Now you may not agree but it’s way better than letting the site degrade into a fight club.
So just let it go.