1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do I know if I'm really a bass player in disguise?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Sollipsist, Nov 6, 2017.

1. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

If you pick up a bass and play it like a bass instead of like a guitarist playing a bass...then you may be a bass player. If you play guitar melodies that sound like they would make better bass lines...you too may also be a bass player. Trust me on this, I came into guitar after working the bass mines for 30 years, and had to work to make my guitar playing sound like more than glorified bass playing, and make sure my bass playing didn't suffer in the exchange either.

brbadg likes this.
  2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Haha, was waiting for that one to make an appearance.

Funny thing is, if you analyze all of the goofy crap dished out by musicians, guitar players are far worse than bass players. Bass players just show up and play. Many will happily play out of anything provided and get a decent sound.

Guitar players stay stupid things like “I can’t get my tone if my amp isn’t cranked” or think that their vintage Mullard preamp tubes make a damn bit of difference anyone can hear in real world gig situations. Or if the relative humidity in the room isn’t just right, their tone suffers (yes, someone actually said that). A guitar player.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  3. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Ironically, as I read this, I was listening to "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" :D

Obsessed and ac15 like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Good one.:twisted: Okay, some might be drummers.;):lol:

Sollipsist likes this.
  5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

You can keep time naturally?

6. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Goes for drums too. Imo plant and page were weakest players in Zeppelin

7. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"How do I know if I'm really a bass player in disguise?"

Yeah, you are: I had you pegged right outta the gate.

But don't feel bad: I'm one too...

Sollipsist likes this.
  8. hdan

hdan TDPRI Member

I've been "bass curious" for a long time now. A few months ago, I picked up one of those Squire Jaguar SS basses that seem so popular. It took me a few weeks of practice and watching a lot of youtube videos (lol) to start to understand how bass is actually played, as opposed to trying to recreate the bass lead-in from Pink Floyd's "Pigs" (which was apparently played by Gilmore). I wouldn't say I'm any good at it yet, but I can get a smooth tone and keep my strings muted. Usually. Slap still eludes me, and my music theory is rusty, but those things can be fixed.

Oddly, I think learning bass has made me a slightly better guitar player, in the sense that I understand the fretboard a lot better now. But I keep coming back to the bass, so maybe it's not a "one year stand" after all.

9. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"Oddly, I think learning bass has made me a slightly better guitar player"

I agree with that 100%. It certainly forced me to improve my timing, that's for sure. A bass player that can't lock in solid with the drummer (assuming THAT guy can keep consistent time) is pretty useless. I've ALWAYS practiced with a metronome or drum track since taking up bass, which I sometimes previously didn't do when noodling on guitar. Around the time I first started seriously trying to play bass, someone said "think of the bass as a drum with strings". While that statement over-simplifies matters a bit, it certainly also contains an element of truth and has always stuck with me.

Rock culture often seems to make the guitar player the focus of attention and the rest of the band just a back-drop/launchpad for his "amazing" pyrotechnics. Playing bass has made me even more aware that, all else being equal, the bands who make the best music are comprised of members who see their role as that of being a part of a cohesive whole, not just the flashy standout star who dazzles while everyone else stands submissively in the shadows. It has also reinforced my "less is more" aesthetic opinion which asserts that thoughtful selectivity and nuance almost always beat technically-flashy, frenetic shred when it comes to phrasing.

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Playing bass made me more aware of chord tones.

I miss playing bass some times - and my Squier VM Jazz is at a friend's while he records some demos...

11. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"Playing bass made me more aware of chord tones."

Carol Kaye, a bassist whose resume is a bit more than "a little" impressive, speaks a lot about "thinking chordally".

12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

So true.

[Also . . . you've been on the forum since 2003 and only posted 86 times -- did you get kidnapped by aliens?]

13. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

"[Also . . . you've been on the forum since 2003 and only posted 86 times -- did you get kidnapped by aliens?]"

Klaatu barada nikto...

Bard2dbone and Matt G like this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Do you have a girlfriend?

Sollipsist likes this.
  15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Take off the disguise? And see if you still sound like Stanley Clark?

16. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Yes and no. Married - I tricked her into it by singing and playing guitar. My latent bassist tendencies were closeted at the time.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

I'm a bass player who plays AT everything else. Partly that's because in school I was actually taught brass...that I no longer have, so I don't play them anymore...and double bass.

I never really got comfortable enough to read on guitar, but I did on bass, because it was the same thing I'd been doing, just slightly shorter and with frets. Okay. And without a bow. Maybe this doesn't hold up as well as I assumed. But basically I have more theory background on what a bass player does than anyone else's role in the band.

I remember when my old guitar player had a roommate for a while who had a P bass as well as a Strat. After having Patrick 'help' on several of his demos, he called me back up and had me re-do Patrick's parts. That was the day he realized the difference between a 'bass owner' and a bass player.

18. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

So, when's your "coming out" party? :lol:

Sollipsist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.