1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do I know if I'm really a bass player in disguise?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Sollipsist, Nov 6, 2017.

1. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hey, let’s not forget the 6th! Very common.

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

...and 9th, for descending back to ROOT.

ac15 likes this.
  3. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

I change my strings too often to be a bass player ;-)

Sollipsist and Bruxist like this.
  4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

when you play the bass in a group, do you feel like you are controlling the band? The bass - without any doubt - is the most important position in a band. It's like the catcher in baseball. All the headlines go to the pitcher, but the catcher calls and controls the game.

If you don't feel this now, try to work on it. A group NEEDS a decisive and confident bass player. If you never feel this, stop playing bass and get back on the guitar.

5. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I notice there are a lot of people in this thread picking up a "pawn shop bass" or at the most expensive, a Squier. As a guitarist, I find it funny that when it comes to bass that most of us will settle for "good enough" but will spend tons of $ on guitars and effects. My bass is an old Yamaha that survived a house fire. It was given to me. It has smoke damage and rusted hardware but looks so ugly in the right ways. I really haven't even considered buying another one.

6. ac15

Yep, playing bass always feels like that.

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Lol. I remember those days only too well. :p

I got frustrated with guitar in my younger days, so started to dabble on bass. Always thought Phil Lynott was super cool, then along came Steve Harris. (Thought Entwistle was amazing too!) Although having no voice, I always wanted to write songs, so the afore mentioned two were a big influence on my decision to take up bass full time.

But I guess I've always been a closet guitarist, so as the years and bands passed, I eventually went back to guitar full time. I'm not very good, but persist away at it. Do still enjoy a good thump on the bass every now and then.

In response to the quote above - I started with bargain basement type gear (Ibanez, Washburn, budget amps etc.), but when I got serious it was a Fender Precision, Marshall heads and quads and various top line effects. My last top bass (I thought so anyway) was a BC Rich Ironbird. I've still got her, but she's in a sad state atm. :(

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I see the same as most when it comes to bass gear. I was lucky and had a brother help me out steering me toward a Fender P right out of the gate. This was before 5,6,7 and even 8 stringers got popular. It was a MIM with a case for $250. Still have it although it doesn’t get played enough it is a hard one to let go.
    But I have seen others start with cheap basses I think because the build quality is not as important as on a guitar. Your are normally fretting one note at a time. Action is not as important and bad pups can be boosted through a 15” speaker and a PA.
    But I will say once you get a “nice” playing, action low, great pickup bass that sustains it is like hitting the lottery, you count your blessings every day.

9. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

With bass, about all you need is a p-bass and an amp, then you're all set- one of the things I love about it.

ac15 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Every guitarist should also own a bass. I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar short-scale.

Dismalhead likes this.
  11. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I have 4 basses and 2 bass amps. I love playing bass. I don't want to do anything fancy. I'm never going to pop or slap. I just like playing cool bass lines. 4 strings seems unnecessary. I could live with 3. I'd still be ok with 2.

gobi_grey, Piggy Stu and nojazzhere like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

A lot of bassists would sound better if limited to 2 stings.....

13. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

It (often) worked for James Jamerson. You can tell them that. They'll hate you, but you'll be right.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

After many many years of playing bass with all sorts of instruments and effects, I've come back to a P bass with 4 strings. Play the root in sync with the kick, and throw in the occasional fifth and second. If you play above the 7th fret, you're just showing off. Focus on the right hand and find the groove or make it. You'll be in demand if you do these things.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

A lot of guitar players think they can just pick up a bass and be immediately good at it.:rolleyes:

16. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

It’s a great skill to have. I would think a double-threat like you, triple-threat if you can sing is never going to go without a gig!

17. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I bought a bass after playing guitar for 20 years. I used to think I *did* play bass before owning one... just play the root and some variations.
    But *owning* a bass let me play it daily, get stronger fingers and stronger sense of what a bass line really is.

Then, really learning to play bass (scottsbasslessons.com on facebook) opened it up for me. I think I'm a much better guitarist, and musician now that I play the bass.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. ac15

Very true. You never have to step on any pedals, and the whole experience is more "set it and forget it." Although I have a pretty excellent bass rig, I do find that I can get a sound I am happy with out of almost anything.

19. ac15

Some of them can. Many cannot.

It came very naturally to me, but I have also seen a lot of guys who play guitar well, but bass not so much.

I think that the reason it came easily to me is because I have always been really into the rhythmic aspects of music, particularly drum parts, so I am always thinking that way.

brbadg likes this.
  20. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Do you drool out of both sides of your mouth on a level stage? If yes, you may be a bass player.

ac15 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.