1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do I know if I'm really a bass player in disguise?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Sollipsist, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I'm starting to suspect that I've wasted my life trying to learn the guitar.

Last night I picked up a cheap old bass that I haven't touched in years (the strings are seriously at least a decade old) and the results scared me... in the sense that everything fell into place and sounded, if not quite mindblowing, at least nearly good enough to gig with.

I rarely feel that confident about my guitar skills and tone, even though I've been working on them diligently for over 25 years. Could I have been secretly destined to be a bass player all this time, and foolishly denied my fate because of some lingering adolescent 6-string hubris? :D

Dropoutjohn, src9000, Felino and 2 others like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

maybe

Sollipsist likes this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I found that out a few years back when I was at a guitarist friend's band practice and asked where the bass player was?.... he left..... then mentioned that I had a bass at home but didn't know much about it.....

well go and get it.. you're the new bass player ..... so I did.... and it just went from there... I didn't have too much problem jamming with them on day 1 just reading the chords off his song book.... and it felt good...

it was like.. Hey! I know how the bassline for this song sorta goes...just didn't know the notes....

I still have a long way to go to be a proper bass player..:rolleyes:.
    though, I'm in a trio having heaps of fun trying to get there.... even played a gig at the town fair recently....

Just do it...:cool:

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Had a similar experience to the OP. Bass comes very naturally to me, and despite starting out as a guitar player, I really love them equally, and gig both. Funny thing is, depending on which bands people have seen me in, some people only know me as a guitar player, and some have no idea I play guitar, and think of me solely as a bass player. Fine with me either way.

Dropoutjohn and Jakedog like this.
  5. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

If everyone else has left and you are lugging a giant sized speaker out to an undersized car all by yourself, yeah you're a bass player.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. trev333

Bass playing has the added convenience of being able to plug straight into the PA.... just turn up with your bass and a cable and you're good to go....:D

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Being married to a bass player, I have found the way how you find out.

Listen to a song you have never listened to before.

Pause.

Read my next post after you do this.

mexicanyella and 24 track like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Now, were you listening to the melody or the bass line? There is your answer.

Dropoutjohn, brbadg, RoyBGood and 4 others like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

if instead of hearing the melody line in your head but you hear the bass , then guess what , your half way there, I have that bug but I also hear lead lines as well as rhythm patterns.

Stisch and Obsessed like this.
  10. trev333

I was a marching drummer as a kid... I've found I still have a good metronome in my head and can keep a solid steady beat for everyone to play off... and drive the band when need be, leaving the guitarist and drummer to wander in and out or try a few ad lib things..... that's a good feeling...

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

do you daydream of dual vintage svt's to quake the ground?

brbadg and RoyBGood like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Do you drool if you're concentrating on something other than keeping the drool in your mouth?

When a yoga instructor says, "Clear your mind...“ had you already done that hours before?

Do people have to explain hard things (like bathing or brushing your teeth) to you regularly?

Are you proud because you completed a puzzle that says “2 to 3 years" in less than a month?

If you answer yes to more than one of these questions, you may be a Bass Player.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

But if you forget that simply adding an S is how you create the plural for most words in English, you’re definitely a guitarist. [emoji6][emoji12]

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I'm playing bass these days in a rock trio as we try to work up a set of original tunes we're all proud of. I bought a pawnshop bass about ten years ago during a lull in my playing, and now consider myself "more than 50% bass player," and wonder why I didn't get into this sooner (I'm 48).

I am still trying to figure out how groove, incorporate some melodic action and achieve clean, smooth technique and tone..sometimes with good results, sometimes with disastrous ones. But I guess for me the important thing is, I'm having fun and the bass has put a lot of freshness back into playing for me. It's really great to feel creative after years of wondering if the muse had left for good.

Sollipsist likes this.
  15. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

I have felt this way since I got my first guitar over 15 years ago. I asked for a bass and mom got me a strat. Still want a bass... I hear the rythm in the song more than the melody, I obsess over baselines, still haven't gotten around to picking it up. Feel it will be a lot of fun when I do.

Honest Charley and Minimalist518 like this.
  16. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

This happened to my best friend just this year. We pretty much learned guitar together back in the day. In the past decade, we’ve played in the same band.
    When one band broke up and the three remaining members stayed —he, I and the drummer— he and I both pretty much said “not it” to picking up the bass. We even gigged sans bass. He’s such a solid rhythm player, though, that so long as one of us was holding down the bottom end, it sounded pretty good.
    Recently, the three of us started a project with another long time friend who’s a great singer, player and songwriter. My friend always said that if this guy joined, he’d *consider* playing the bass.
    We held him to his word more out of curiosity than anything. Holy cow! He’s a natural! He always had a right hand like a metronome, and it turns out he’s got a pretty dang good ear for finding a bass part that fits. He’s fully embraced the role too; in the first month he rejected the borrowed gear we had scratched together and bought a sweet Squier Jazz Bass and Fender amp.
    Sometimes when he nails it he’ll put the bass down and laugh, “I was so sure I didn’t want to be a bass player!”

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a bass about a dozen years ago for laying down bass tracks and ended up playing it exclusively for a couple of years. Then I got sucked back into playing guitar.

I can still lay down the funk like a real bass player, and I still enjoy the heck out of it. Problem is I need two of me, one to play the bass and the other to play the guitar.

RLee77, Felino, ac15 and 2 others like this.
  18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I can relate. Ideally I’d like to start a band with another guitar player like me who also plays bass, so we could switch off playing bass and guitar.

Dismalhead likes this.
  19. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

If you only think a chord consists of ROOT, 3rd and 5th tones.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    nojazzhere likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds kinda like Paul McCartney's story....remember? Stu Sutcliffe (bass player) quit in Hamburg. Lennon REFUSED to take up bass, and Paul got it by default.
    Several years ago, after years of futilely searching for a competent bassist, I said what the heck, bought a Fender Squier bass in a pawnshop, and started playing. I have a good sense of rhythm, an appreciation for mostly "simple", uncomplicated bass lines, and had the benefit of having played with an incredible bass player years before. Plus, I found I really enjoyed it.....finally I could play in a band with a bass player I liked and respected.( ;) )....I'd probably still be playing bass, but circumstances required me to return to guitar. But if I ever go back to bass, it will be my FOUR string Precision, with flatwounds, and played with a pick.

Minimalist518, trev333 and RLee77 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.