1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do I fix Tele Pickups out of phase from the factory?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 70AnnBroadcaster, Sep 25, 2020.

1. 70AnnBroadcaster

70AnnBroadcaster TDPRI Member

So......literally just received brand new 70th Anniversary Fender Broadcaster. Beautiful, BUT - plugged it in and discovered that Fender wired the pickups out of phase. Doh! Was looking into how to correct that, any good complete videos/how-to's on how to do that? Here is how the bridge pickup is wired and grounded (pictured). Can anyone help advise on how this can be done DIY?

Attached Files:

2. jscud

jscud TDPRI Member

What does the wiring look like in the control cavity? Would need to compare the wiring there to be certain it is out of phase.

If you're comfortable using a soldering iron, it can be a quick fix. Just unsolder two wires and swap their placement. The place to change it though would be on the switch, not on the pickup IMHO.

Javier668 likes this.
  3. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

You can solder a separate ground wire (22AWG hookup wire) to the plate. You can simply clip the jumper wire off right where the start lead is, bend it slightly so it's not contacting the start lead eyelet anymore, and solder a new jumper wire to the remainder.

You don't want to remove that jumper from the baseplate as it takes a LOT of heat to melt the solder on the baseplate, because the baseplate acts like a heat sink. Better to just solder to the bare wire already on there.

You'll end up with 3 wires: your start and finish wires, and a separate ground wire for your baseplate. The ground wire for the baseplate simply goes to any ground in the control section.

Having a separate ground wire for the baseplate will allow you to switch the lead wiring for your pickup, and get it in the correct phase.

4. 70AnnBroadcaster

Thanks for the reply here is what the control panel wiring looks like. what do you think?

Attached Files:

5. 70AnnBroadcaster

thanks for the reply - it helps me if I can see it being done, but I haven't been able to find any good complete example on youtube, got any suggestions on videos where this is demonstrated?

6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If they are out of phase it might be easier to change the neck pickup as you would not be dealing with a grounded baseplate.

jscud likes this.
  7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The bare wire, red arrow, snip that as close to the solder glob on the bottom right.

Now take and solder a wire to that stub of wire left on that baseplate.

Now unsolder the yellow bridge lead from the switch.

What I would do in one step is un-solder the black ground lead (whichever pot that is on), then solder your new wire and the yellow wire you took off the switch together, back onto that pot.

Now solder the black to the terminal where the wire came off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Can you post a sound clip?

You would only hear it in the middle position, and that position sounds kind of notched anyhow with modern Tele wiring (which is what the 70th Broadcaster comes with from the factory). If you didn't know better, you might think that it was "out of phase."

At any rate, if it is true, all you need to do is to swap the white and black wires on the neck pickup.

mfguitar likes this.
  9. sjtalon

can't swap the neck wires, the black is jumped to the cover.

10. 70AnnBroadcaster

Hi - yeah it is only on middle position, but there is no way that can be right. That is straight up super thin, volume drop, out of phase sound. You are right, it comes with 'modern wiring' and they provide the extra capacitor and wiring instructions for both formats, but I would assume that 'modern wiring' should just be what we know as a modern tele sound, no? here is the control plate wiring - does anything here look off to you?

Attached Files:

11. sjtalon

>but I would assume that 'modern wiring' should just be what we know as a modern tele sound, no? <

right, no out of phase crap.

12. 70AnnBroadcaster

correct, that is what is supposed to be the case. But I just think the 2 pickups are out of phase with each other. Neck sounds fine, bridge sounds fine, but middle position is all thin and "Peter Green"-ish

13. EsquireOK

Yes, that is part of swapping the black and white on a Tele neck pickup. But I should have made that explicit.

And it appears that the bridge pickup baseplate is connected to the white wire as well. Could that be the OP's issue?

14. sjtalon

I'm not seeing that ??

15. EsquireOK

It can't be said for sure, because the wires might be twisted on the other side of the bottom bobbin...but in the OP's second pic in his first post, isn't the baseplate jumper going to the opposite lead color that it normally does? In other words, maybe the leads are flipped at the bobbin.

16. sjtalon

Yes, true, possible they wired it wrong, (reverse) as it sounds like the case. It does happen.

One would have to right the ship then by moving the base plate jumper to the other solder on the flatware...................probably less intrusive the just snip the bare wire and not risk messing with the solder on the TINY coil wire there.

17. EsquireOK

Or just take it in for warranty service. It is, after all, brand spanking new, and should not be his problem to deal with.

AAT65 and 70AnnBroadcaster like this.
  18. sjtalon

Exactly, don't know if that requires a shipment back, and then OMG, I can't play my nice new TELE !!!!!!!!:eek:

I feel the pain.

19. 70AnnBroadcaster

yeah, i guess i'll be doing that. Just sucks that I got to hand it over to be worked on. I'll look to see if Fender woudl cover that.

20. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Take the solder iron and try is not a bomb or TNT.
    Is very simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.