How do I fix Player Tele Neck Dive

boydwgrossii

TDPRI Member
I swapped out the original tuners a couple years ago with the Fender locking tuners and usually sit and play but lately, when I stand, the neck just drops.

I’ve heard that I can get lighter tuners and/or put the strap buttons elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Winky

Tele-Holic
My thought is to not do anything to your guitar until you have determined whether it's really problem at all, or is it just different. Does it affect your playing, or does it just annoy you a little when you let go of the neck? Teles don't really have a reputation for neck dive like SGs, but the combination of heavier tuners, perhaps a heavy neck and lighter body could make yours a little worse than most.

Then the next non-destructive thing to try is to add some weight to your strap and see if that improves it noticeably.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
That can be common with locking tuners...upgrade the bridge to a heavier one. It will off-set the tuners and add some volume to the bridge as well.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Remove guard

Route a 2.5" circle that's 1.25" deep about a quarter inch from the neck pickup cavity.

Then fill it with lead.
;)

A strap with more "gripping mass" is all i can actually reccomend.
Only instrument I've ever had with bad dive was a Mustang bass. More metal in tuners than wood in the body. I've played 12 string acoustics more balanced.

It was Slightly better with a Kepur rubbery strap, but that was on another instrument most of the time.

Edit:

Bridge and saddles can always be heavier. Especially 3 saddle, but there are modern 6 saddle that are more mass too.

Jeru

Tele-Afflicted
Agree w/ Reverend's post immediately above.

I use these straps. Does not change center of gravity, etc but sometimes just a little bit
of added friction between strap material and clothing (as opposed to standard-issue nylon
strap) makes a noticeable difference. I have these on my Thinline (light guitar with locking
tuners), my SG and also my Mustang bass.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Unless that body is extremely light, Fender's F Style locking tuners shouldn't cause neck dive.
Every Tele/T-Style/Strat I own has Fender F Style locking tuners on them and not one of them neck dives.
They are all of various weights from 8 to 8.5 lbs, and various necks from maple to roasted maple to rosewood.
If you still have the original tuners, give them a try and see if it makes a difference.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
I don't know what knobs are on the Player model, but if they're those lightweight econo knobs you could try replacing them with the heaviest knobs you can find. I did this on a Wilshire (4 knobs) and it helped a little, but didn't totally solve the problem.

The best non-invasive solution is an extension on the upper bout strap peg. It sticks out about 1". This moves the weight distribution in a way that eliminates neck dive. I can't remember where I saw this, but it struck me as a better solution than drilling additional strap peg hole(s)...even though it might look kind of odd.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
The strap makes such a big difference to this. I don’t use 2” webbing straps any more… 2.5” to 3” suede backed straps are so much better for eliminating small amounts of neck dive. The other place you can add some weight is in the control cavity…

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
There is an undocumented hidden feature on guitars that solves neck dive.

iiJYZD3n_o.jpg

For some guitars, I like a strap with a suede back.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
It does affect my playing. I don’t mind adding a strap location if it doesn’t make it heavier
I know we all like a lightweight guitar, but you are talking about a couple of ounces here, not pounds. A little bit of weight shouldn't even be noticed...an unbalanced guitar is noticed.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
You can test adding weights by hanging fishing weights, lead shot or the original tuners in a sandwich bag off the strap where it meets the bottom strap button. That will tell you whether weight would be an issue.
You can change the balance point by moving the bottom strap button up a bit on the guitar. Not my favorite solution.

I committed this crime on one of my guitars, but I don't think it would look right on a tele. It is reversible though.
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/neck-dive-fix-prosthetic-upper-horn.1054064/

1680203693494.png

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The Fender branded strap locks offset the strap 3/4” from the body. I use just the front one on a guitar with a rosewood neck that tends to dive. It’s a simple fix.

halfpoundbobby

TDPRI Member
+1 on Matthias's idea.

I've had good luck with wider hemp straps. I primarily play 5+ string basses, so the neck dive is atrocious. I understand how annoying it is. But a 50-75 dollhair strap is a better pick than drilling extra holes in a 1000 dollhair guitar. Grain of salt, of course.

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Aleistotle got it right.
Get a bag and fill it with lead shot
Hang it off the back strap button.
Add more lead until balanced.
Your done.

Never played a guitar that had neck dive in 60 odd years and I played a lot of Guitars. Even ultra light teles. Stand up or sit down when you're playing the neck is not going to weigh down your hand.

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Aleistotle got it right.
Get a bag and fill it with lead shot
Hang it off the back strap button.
Add more lead until balanced.
Your done.

Never played a guitar that had neck dive in 60 odd years and I played a lot of Guitars. Even ultra light teles. Stand up or sit down when I'm playing, no neck has never weighed down my hand.

msalama

Friend of Leo's
add some weight is in the control cavity
Did this with an SG I had many moons ago. Worked perfectly and the increase in total weight was negligible. The guitar was a complete dog though, which is why I got rid of it pretty soonish...