How do I contact a mod regarding a deleted post?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by NoTeleBob, Jun 17, 2021.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Post deleted

bcorig, Frodebro, Drew617 and 2 others like this.
  2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I can think of a few posts of mine that I wish had been deleted.

3. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Count me among 'em, I guess, and I wouldn't even have to get my knickers knotted. There's a ton of great information here, and I genuinely enjoy trading a few sentences with some of you. But this whole engagement is voluntary in nature and basically passive, a nice way to spend a few minutes when I find them. If it becomes obnoxious or otherwise starts to suck here, I'd have no problem not coming back.

About "becomes obnoxious," agree in principle about censorship but I don't generally apply that word to private situations that any of us can opt out of. "Censorship" in standard use implies imposed to me, so I don't even see that as a possibility here. Opinion in the States is more polarized than usual lately, we are generally lousy at respecting sensitivity in others when it doesn't necessarily compute to us, and there are enough badly informed people talking too loudly in other places already.

Don't need any of that noise from this place.

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Don't go anywhere. We know where you hang out.

Drew617 likes this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you aren't in a public place. this is a private place. Their house, their rules. Stay and abide them or choose not to abide them and they will let you know. If they have to let you know often enough, they will cease your privileges. You don't have rights here, you have privileges.

When you visit someone's home, they will have 'house rules'... it is civil and acceptable. We certainly have them at my house. Violate them and we'll show you the door.

Words have consequences, right? I'd imagine you are a fan of folks being held accountable for what they say and do, right?

I'm only surprised that you didn't already understand this.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

comedy is difficult and should be left to the professionals.

Danb541 and Drew617 like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’d just let it go.
    Just let it all the way go.

getbent likes this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When the men in black suits show up in their black sedans.

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I may have had posts deleted, but I don't remember. I've been a TDPRI member for a long time.
    I make an effort stay within the guidelines and have deleted quite a few comments I've written but never posted.

King

10. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

I moderated a forum many years ago and I was a tyrant.

You have to be.

stonetone7 and Drew617 like this.
  11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

What, no helicopters? Stupid budget cuts…

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have crossed the line, but in the end, I appreciate this forum so much that I try to walk away from such threads as much as possible. The moderators have a tough job and do it well, so think of it as being respectful to them. I feel very fortunate to get warned enough times for this to sink through my thick skull.

BTW, I know for fact that sometimes they have to delete a bunch of posts on a thread and sometimes accidentally delete a few that were not part of the problem. So, if you had one deleted and you feel certain that your post was within the rules, this might have happened. Not a big deal in the big picture.

getbent, Drew617 and Frodebro like this.
  13. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

Maybe Mick Jagger can help, he is after all King of the Mods..[​IMG]

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The moderation here is far from heavy handed. If you simply get a post deleted for political content, well, consider that pretty gentle. Some sites have had to knuckle down so much due to recurring problems that a political post will get you an instant suspension. I have slipped a few times over the years, and also had posts perceived differently than I intended. Each case resulted in a post deletion, and nothing more. I have never received an official warning here, and have never earned a time out.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The goal is to not turn into one of those OTHER forums we don’t like as much as this one.
    Why do we like this forum?
    The mods do a good job.

Getting a post deleted might sting my delicate ego a tiny bit but participating in a complex discussion that turns into a bitter fight is far worse.

A post may get deleted as political because it fed into some bitter political argument, but without the post itself being the source of the politics.
    I often discover a thread I was in is gone an hour later and it’s usually easy to guess how it went bad.

16. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

A number of people seem to have missed my point, so I'll try again.

I don't need or care to argue about the deletion. I realize moderators can and will do whatever they want.

I'd just like to know what specific line my post crossed so that I can avoid crossing it again. It's difficult to tell when I don't know what was in the post. Hence my original request about "how do I contact a moderator?".

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would PM one of the moderators and square things away in that manner.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You can start a conversation with any of the mods, same as any other member.
    I've had a few with @TheGoodTexan and he always responded graciously.
    I think I had a thread deleted and PM'd a couple of mods but not all responded.
    Not all are active here at all times so check for activity before deciding who to PM.

I'll add that I've seen another member start a thread about asking the mods why he unfairly had posts deleted, which didn't go well for him.

So maybe be clear that you want to understand, as opposed to that you didn't post anything against the rules.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Is there a list of mods per forum? Or does one just choose a random mod and give it a shot?

20. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I've experienced this. At "neutral" sites, someone posts a thread like "I wonder why A certain state might be running out of apples?". Literally dozens of posts are allowed that range from "Drought" to "It might be space aliens". The moment someone posts the equivalent of "Could that state's leadership have any responsibility for the problem?", suddenly that post is labelled "out of bounds". So what remains is a bunch of rather pointless posts that kind of sidestep the entire issue but pretends to allow a "discussion" to take place.

I'd rather those sites just stick to allowing posts about cars, vacuum cleaners, or whatever their particular specialty might be rather than pretending that we're discussing something we're really not allowed to discuss.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.