1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do bands book tours?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by shtuck, Sep 25, 2020.

1. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

Thanks man, I appreciate your advice. I'll just keep going, and work on my solo act game some more, and see who asks to get involved. Thanks again!

2. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

I suck at arranging gigs. I'm mildly autistic so this is not something I do well. But from what I know you gotta spam like crazy to get a few gigs, learn to find which venues still book bands, develop contacts with them and develop relations with the bookers. And as a band you gotta be professional, none of this rockstar ego ********, because bookers talk to each other, and if you develop a reputation for being difficult you better be known to draw in large crowds or you're out. Show up to gigs in time, know how the drills work, be respectful to the artist manager and technical stuff, make sure your tech rider has the right information and is current, don't wreck stuff, start the rehearsals and gigs in time (bass players, DON'T wander off to have a smoke around that time!!!!) and of course get of the stage in time, together with your gear. Don't leave stuff on stage while you chat with the audience when the next band should be on stage. That's the easy technical stuff. The harder stuff is that you have to develop your audience. You gotta connect to them so you actually have an audience that will show up. Which means you have to spend a lot of time on social media interacting with and cultivating your audience. Remember, if bookies know you are guaranteed to bring in a respectable audience they could care less if you play the worst music in the world. It's all about bringing in butts to the seats. If they need another band and they know you will bring in an additional 50 people you are guaranteed to be booked a lot when they need a supporting act for a bigger act that night.

Any musician that thinks they only have to write some good songs and that fame and fortune will magically come, that bookers, agents and labels will come knocking at their door will become very disappointed. Naturally your music has to be good, but that is just the startm without those other skills you'll get nowhere. The world is full of good musicians with good songs that got nowhere. And full of bad musicians with crap songs that got signed to major labels because they put in a lot of work and effort to build an audience and market themselves, Not even a booking agent will touch you with a 10 feet pole until he too knows you have an audience that you managed to cultivate.

If you have a band, assign roles to each of you that play to their strengths. There is no such thing as a free lunch for band members who just want to hitch a ride. If you got one who loves to arrange gigs and is good at it, KEEP THEM! Even if they play like crap or are difficult to be with. You can learn to play around the weakness of a bandmember (cough Metallica cough), but life will be a lot harder for your band if no one is good at arranging gigs. Learn to develop this skill if need be. Same for putting people in charge of the social media aspect. Got a member who is autistic as f*** but knows how to handle the technical aspect of things? Put them in charge of that. Find what each and everyone is good at, let them do that and if need be learn to become good at it. And remember, as Robert Meyer Burnett says, it takes 10 years of hard work to become an overnight success in Hollywood. I doubt that it is any different in the music industry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.