How difficult is it to change a headstock decal to a personal decal?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by studio1087, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I would go a step further and do both front and back of the headstock. But, I think the replacement blank (or project) neck is the best bet, especially if the owner is young, they may likely change their mind, not matter how dead set on keeping the guitar they may be. Good advice to make sure they understand the entire face needs to be taken down to the substrate.

Chunkocaster and studio1087 like this.
  2. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

20190906_114022.jpg

I printed and applied both of these decals.

It just takes patience. A lot of research. Some trial and error.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Unless you're faking something, I would say go for it. I've done it, and I found that removing the decal and finish, placing the custom one, and clear-coating to match was in fact totally easy. I have finish experience, but other than having learned patience, I don't think I needed any of it in this case. It's easy to mask the rest of the neck and instrument and just do the peghead face. In my case, someone gave me an Affinity Tele and I refinished it with Chinese dragons and re-branded it "Chen Rong" Tribute Model with Sinocaster in the smaller print (Chen Rong painted the amazing 9 Dragons scroll and is incredible). People find it visually interesting and lighthearted. Why wouldn't you have fun like this?

studio1087 likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Gaffer tape--there is none more black.

Jakedog and studio1087 like this.
  5. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I make my logo decals with blank water-slide decal paper that I run through a photo-quality inkjet printer. Easy enough to find on the internet.

I then give the decal sheet a few coats with whatever I'm finishing the guitar with (lacquer, poly, etc.) to seal the printer ink so it doesn't run when I soak them to put them on. Then I "bury" them with several coats of finish and voilà.

I like to finish necks with rattlecan Tru-Oil, so I spray the decal with hardware store clear poly and the Tru-Oil sprays on nicely.

IMG_0946.JPG

Dan German and studio1087 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.