How difficult is it to change a headstock decal to a personal decal?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by studio1087, Feb 4, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

If in theory I was going to keep a guitar forever (never sell it) and if I wanted to put a different water slide decal on the headstock; how difficult is it to do?

If I wanted to take the decal off of a CV Squier and put my name or something fun on the headstock how rough is that?

There are lots of videos on youtube showing the removal of a silk screened logo (guys use Goo Gone and they come right off). This would be removing a decal (sanding?) and replacing a decal and then applying a semi gloss spray (I think).

I hope I'm not breaking a rule by asking a dumb question. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Easiest way is sand off the old logo. Put a layer of finish down to have a nice blank surface to start with.
    Create your logo in a graphics program. If you have none, get Gimp.org and/or Inkscape.org plus watch youtube videos on how-to use those programs.
    Make a mirror image of your logo.
    Print it on a laser printer, the kind that uses fuseable ink (basically carbon black encapsulated in wax)
    Put down a fresh layer of your clear finish and lay the mirror printed logo where you want it. Let that dry.
    Wet sponge/cotton cloth dampen the paper and work the paper all off. You should be left with your logo stuck in the last layer of finish. Clean up random paper fibers. Don't scrub too hard as you can remove the print.
    Put down another fresh layer of clear finish, let dry and you're good to go or add a few more layers.

You should do a test print on a block of wood first to get the techniques down.

Rock on!

3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Good info.
    You can also order special made waterslides from sellers on ebay.
    I would also add. Once you have sanded the old logo off, sprayed a clear base back on the un-logo'd headstock, applied the new waterslide logo, let it completely dry overnight...
    that first coat on top of the logo should be super light, just dust it on a few times, slowly build it up. Once it's built up you can put several heavier coats on. Yopu will notice the logo sticks up higher than the finish. This is when you sand the logo flat/even with the finish. Then clearcoat again several times. This way the new logo is level with the rest of the finish on the headstock, this also removes the edges of the waterslide making it look more professional. Finely sand and buff. Easy peasy.

4. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Not hard. BUT I will caution you if it is a CV guitar. I did the same thing. The decals on the CV's are under A LOT of finish. The finish on those necks are also pretty amber colored. If you sand too much to get that decal off, you are going to have a headstock face that is a different color than the rest of the neck and good luck matching the color. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. But I wish that I hadn't done it to mine and would have just traded it for a neck without a logo. Although the shapes of those necks are pretty darn nice.

Skydog1010, c.winn, Danb541 and 2 others like this.
  5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I wouldnt sand,use a card scraper

tamer_of_banthas and studio1087 like this.
  6. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I would buy an additional CV neck to do a project like that.

Skydog1010 and studio1087 like this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Just as I have a little trouble with someone putting, say, a Gibson decal on a guitar they made, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with someone basically saying "I made this guitar" when they didn't. I put my logo proudly on the headstocks of guitars that I build (and a label inside), I'd be pretty PO'd if someone put their's over the top.

However, to answer your question, you'll muck up the finish royally and I doubt that you can fix it (its probably some sort of catalyzed something). Go ahead and scratch your name in the top or paint it any way you want, but give credit to the builder.

studio1087 likes this.
  8. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not too bad. Here is one I did (my last name works well for a faux Fender look -- but isn't going to fool anyone up close)

2015-09-14 07.22.31.jpg

Note you can still see the Fender logo a little due to UV bleaching.

VWAmTele, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Very often, light "sanding" with steel wool will take off the original decal. Personally, I have less issue with REMOVING a Fender decal and applying a custom one than I do the opposite......just me.

MickM and studio1087 like this.
  10. studio1087

You may have talked me out of it. My CV neck is a very dark amber color. I’m turning it into an Esquire. I thought about changing the decal. Again.....I’m never selling it.

c.winn and Bruxist like this.
  11. studio1087

I’m not following you sir. I’m certainly not claiming that I made the guitar. It’s a relatively affordable guitar from Indonesia that I’ll never sell. It’s not a USA Fender or Gibson. It sits locked up in our basement practice space and I’ll never gig it. I’ve named other things. I named my Rinker Jet Boat. It has a cool name decal. I’m pretty certain that people understand that I didn’t build the boat. ;)

Bruxist and c.winn like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would sand the entire face of the headstock and then you will have to tint it with vintage amber to match the rest of the neck, apply a coat of whatever clear, then the decal then bury it in clear. The CV 50's and 60's have a heavily tinted clear but the wood is much lighter beneath it. It would be tough to match if you just sand the logo off and the finish is thick poly so it would be tough to match the level too whereas doing the whole face would be much easier. You can either tint the wood amber or tint the clear, you could tint tru oil and bury the decal in that and it would be cheap and easy to match, just adjust the mix as you build up the coats or apply it untinted over the decal and tinted wood on the neck. If the match isn't perfect you can tint a few coats of tru oil to get a perfect match along the way.

That's how I would do it and i'd be confident in achieving a factory looking match and finish when done.

13. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My CVC neck pickup is going on my son's Esquire and I thought about sanding it off. Sanded and sanded and sanded. Can barely tell. So I think I am going to paint it to match the body.

Is nicely roughed up for the paint to stick.

LowCaster, studio1087 and c.winn like this.
  14. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

100% what @LunarSlingShot said.

I’ve worked on a number of CV necks, and that is my experience. I’ve been able to match & blend repairs with transparent amber paint/poly/sand/buff routine, but it can be a hassle.

John, I remember reading your posts on the AGForum, probably 20 years ago. Always enjoy your guitar shenanigans!

Bruxist and studio1087 like this.
  15. studio1087

What a great bunch of people. I miss that bunch. I still subscribe to Acoustic Guitar Magazine. Hope you’ve been well.

John

c.winn likes this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My personalized headstock decal. It was super simple. Took like, eight seconds.

FE33C28B-896D-4FAA-A9F3-1F7DB859412B.jpeg

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

If John sprays the headstock black first, he can even skip the tape!

Jakedog and studio1087 like this.
  18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t do it on a CV, they are good guitars with a nice finish and the logo is quite nice, I wouldn’t ruin that guitar with my funny logo. And thick poly is a pain to sand properly. I wouldn’t want the trouble to match the varnish color either.

I would do it if the guitar was already heavily modified (partscaster...) and to save me some trouble I would make it a solid color headstock (matching or not).

studio1087 likes this.
  19. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

As a small "something-to-do-project" last summer I used a brand new Squier CV Tele and tried to convert it to a 65 year old whiteguard Tele, sanding thru the poly was a good workout.
    Before & after-shot: (the left one I stole from the interweb, didn't take any pictures of the headstock myself until after I was done)
    IMG_0512 (kopia).jpg

CalebAaron666, studio1087 and c.winn like this.
  20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I did a television thing a while back and they told us we couldn’t have any obvious logos showing on our gear or clothing. One of the techs on the set had a roll of tape. I never got around to taking it off. Lol.

c.winn and studio1087 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.