How did you propose?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by the_lyall, Sep 13, 2017.

1. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

This thread is food for thought - I'll be buying a ring very shortly.

Have already asked her Dad, and it's all good.

My gf and I have spoken about getting married, but there's nothing 'official' - that's going to change shortly.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

We were in Amsterdam and I'd already decided to ask her to marry me as we'd been living together for a while. I engineered a reason to go on a guided trip around a jewellery retailer's factory in the centre of the city. When the tour ended, the guide asked if anyone was interested in buying anything. I raised by hand. My wife-to-be looked very surprised. I asked her to marry me there and then, she said "yes" and we proceeded to view stones, rings and settings as they can make up a ring, to order, inside an hour. After a while, we remembered a ring that was in their display cabinet that she'd commented on. They brought it - and it fitted without adjustment. Money paid, ring and certificates all boxed up - we enjoyed the rest of the weekend and came back engaged. That was 15 years ago and we just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary a few months ago.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. Mstoku

Mstoku NEW MEMBER!

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My first wife proposed to me in the produce section of an A&P supermarket. The second time around I proposed to my wife on a riverbank where we spent a lot of time. In retrospect I wish I had chosen a nicer place.

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Being as romantic as I could, I proposed to my fiancee at a restaurant in France, on the terrace overlooking a lake. Luckily she said yes. That was many years ago and we still haven't got around to getting married. It just seemed to get overlooked and we are perfectly happy with the status quo.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Out in the middle of a nice field . I’ve always liked that field. I think it’s still there even though I thought it was going to end up as a subdivision at the time.

20 yrs coming up...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

World's End State Park, PA.
    She, her daughter, myself, and our 2 dogs went to the park and hiked up a trail that led to a waterfall. On the esy back from the waterfall, there is an outdoor chapel. I did it right there, we had just signed a mortgage together, so I made some cracking about being stuck with me for the next 30 years, so why not just do it forever.

Thankfully, she gets my sense of humor.

Getting married in August.

Not romantic or planned, just had the ring on me and it felt like as good a time as any to ask.

I did make sure to have her, and my, parents' blessings.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Standing next to a huge toad, as it turned out. Got quite the surprise when we realised we had this huge silent witness.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Right After my favorite fishing show on vernal equinox so I would remember. My daughter kept secret from her which
    Was rough.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  11. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mrs. Basher and I had dinner with her parents a couple of weeks after we started dating, and her mom got her in the kitchen and said "He's wonderful, marry him!" And Mrs. B. told me about it later and I said ok.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Wife was a big Drive By Truckers fan (went to UGA when they kinda got started). When we started dating I worked out some of their songs I liked on guitar to impress her, including their song “Marry Me”. Used to tell her someday I would sing that song to her for real.

One evening she was cooking dinner. I was hanging out in my bathrobe (showered after work), playing and singing to entertain her while she cooked butternut squash soup. Played Marry Me and then told her “remember when I told you I’d play you this song and mean it?” She took a second to realize what I meant and then just kept saying “oh my god” over and over. I pulled out the ring I had romantically concealed in my bathrobe pocket.

She made a mess of the soup, but I didn’t mind.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”How did you propose?”

I found ‘er online, without a test ride...she had all the required specs

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I waited for a day with some significance, so I would remember the anniversary...as she is keen on such things. I sat down on the couch and handed her the engagement ring. She took it, put it on and I said, "So?" She said, "Yes. BTW, you had until October, then I was going to ask you."

July 14, 1987. Bastille day. :D

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

She was from New Jersey. I was from Tennessee. We met in Georgia while in college. She was "all but engaged" to a guy in NJ so we couldn't date. I took that as a challenge and invited her down to a restaurant "to study" where I bought her coffee and the most fantastic chocolate fudge cake. She fell in love with the fudge cake but didn't have a car to get there so I at least had at job. All the other couples at college fell in mushy love immediately and many fell by the wayside within a few months. We started out arguing about everything because of our profoundly different backgrounds and ended up liking each other. Eventually the guy in NJ lost out and she started dating me.

Five months later we had a problem: At the end of the year she was going to transfer to Emory in Atlanta to finish college. I had a scholarship to UT in Knoxville for master's work. With recent experience in the matter, she didn't have much faith in long-distance relationships. What to do? She decided to follow me to UT, basically against her parents design for her life. I was pleased, but knew it wasn't fair to ask her to follow me without offering something more than a dating relationship so I thought about it a couple of weeks and decided to ask her to marry me.

With me being Southern, I knew I needed to talk to her dad. She and I discussed the situation and called him up just before Valentine's Day. He said to her, "It sounds like you two have made up your minds. We've got nothing to talk about." He was kind of a knucklehead. So I took her back to the little restaurant where we first went to study and got the same booth we started out in. After dinner and before coffee and fudge cake, I took her hands, looked her in the eye, and, using her full name, simply asked her to marry me. She said yes. Back then there weren't pocket cell phones or portable video recorders and she wouldn't have wanted publicity anyway.

"No ring, no announcement." There were forms to be followed back then, you see. I didn't have a ring for her because I had invested my entire college student income over the previous five months in the fudge cake market so we at least went out and found a solitaire mount she liked. I bought it and we started looking for a diamond. Three weeks later we went to a jeweler in New Jersey who had a diamond that we liked and offered me a no-interest loan. With the ring on the finger we were able to announce the engagement. We were married a year and a half later, on July 5th, 1980. It will be thirty-eight years in a week.

[​IMG]

It was the smartest decision of my life.

Bob

16. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I went out with my girlfriend for about four years (she came to all my gigs, and even had a PA fall on her without crying....real trooper)....she did not drive. One day I finally said" Listen, I am tired of always having to come and pick you up...let's get married". That was 36 years ago. She learned to drive about 10 years into our marriage, thank the lord.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Married? I knew I forgot to do something!

The only time I ever proposed to anyone was when I was touring and I stayed with these cute twin sisters. No I was in a different room. Right before we left we were saying goodbye and I asked them to marry me. They were a little confused since I wanted to marry both of them, but I told them, "Hey, I don't want to break up a set." We all laughed.

It reminds me of a Groucho Marx line:

Groucho: Will you marry me?
    Margaret DuMont: That would be bigamy!
    Groucho: Well it would be big of me, too!

The bass player in my former band had his mother visiting from Pittsburgh. He took his girlfriend and mother for a drive and stopped at the local lake. He and the girlfriend took a stroll by the lake where he proposed. Right afterward he hears his mother yell out, "What's taking you so long? What are you doing down there? Proposing marriage or something!" She had no clue that that was what they were actually doing.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

She had been married twice before... Once for each of her children...I'd been married once. And she had always told me don't ever ask her to marry, she loved me but she wasn't the marrying kind anymore. Me being stubborn wouldn't take that mess, and finally got up the nerve to ask her and got a "placeholder" ring for her to have until we decided on the real one. I intended to take her back to Umstead State Park where we had our first kiss, and ask her there, but it was raining all day, so I got her daughter to get the camera out, walked over to her recliner where she was sitting, got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She was flabbergasted and couldn't speak, so I blurted out "just say yes dammit!!" She did. We've now been married 2 months and 1 day, and so far it's stellar!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.