How did you propose?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by the_lyall, Sep 13, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was a LOT of money... What I call a multi-archtop ring... :D

2. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

We went on a hotair balloon ride in Napa, CA. After the hor air balloon ride, I told my fiancé (my wife now) that we needed to go to the store to get some stuff as our plan is to go to the beach and have a bonfire later that night.

She had no idea that I rented a hall in the same Hotel where we left for the balloon ride(Marriot). I invited all of our family and friends that played a role in our relationship. I had to kill time so we lollygagged and bought stuff that we actually didn't need. I was in close contact with my brother to make sure everyone is in the hall.

I told her that I left my credit card in the Hotel. We drove back and walked into the hall surrounded by our family and friends in a form of a circle. My wife broke down in tears (it was her first time in her life to cry out of joy). I will never forget that day. Happily married for two years!

tery likes this.
  3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

How did I propose?

Repeatedly. It took a while to convince her... 37 years, 11 months, and nine days later, I hope she made the right decision!

tery likes this.
  4. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

In 1959 I was 21 and my girl was 17 and we were walking hand in hand thru' the main shopping centre area in Bristol (UK) and we stopped to look in a jewelers shop window.
    There were many engagement rings on show but Sandies eyes lit up when she saw a secondhand ring saying it was just beautiful. It was £21 and me being an Apprentice Engineer back in those days was always broke because of the low wages of Apprentices. But my Mother had given me £21 for my 21st birthday so it was in my pocket and we went in the shop and it fitted Sandies finger perfectly so I bought it. We got married in September 1960 and have not long ago celebrated out 57th Anniversary and still in love with each other.. Al:D :lol::D

tery, 1293 and moosie like this.
  5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't quite remember. It was fairly straightforward on our way out to dinner. I planned to do it a month earlier but I made the mistake of telling my best man and he bought a bunch of shots and my future wife passed out.

tery likes this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh dear... :lol:

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We used to go rollerblading and we would fly two-line stunt kites over Lake Michigan on Sundays. There's a big park that runs along the lake and kites and rollerblading and and drinking wine on blankets was a thing on Sundays in Milwaukee circa 1988. There would be 100 people flying crazy kites. It must have looked even better for the people who were sailing.

We went blading like we always did. I always wore a small backpack because I carried a couple tools for the kites. The ring was in the backpack. Courtney was flying a stunt kite about 500' out over the lake. I reached around her and put the ring right in her face and asked her to marry me. She said yes and almost crashed the kite in Lake Michigan.

I miss the east side. I bought the kites at Art Smart's Dart Mart and Juggling Emporium. The store is still in business on Humbolt after 26 years.

tery and moosie like this.
  8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Mine proposed to me. The most soft spoken beautiful woman in the world. Then she contracted ovarian cancer and died. I'm still not over it after all these years and I think of her often. But I'm good. I have a nice family to take care of.

smsuryan, Harry Styron, tery and 2 others like this.
  9. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

When we went on our first date, my future wife and I went out to dinner, followed by a trip to Wise Fools Pub for some live blues music.

Later that evening we strolled over to the Biograph Theater (infamous for Dillenger's demise) for a midnight screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, (along with a freaky crowd of Rocky regulars who knew every line, and had the requisite squirt gun and newspapers).

When the movie let out we strolled to the small park on the corner and shared our first kiss.

Eight months later, as we drove by that small park on the way to her birthday dinner, I said, "Do you remember our first date and kiss, here?" When she replied "Of course, I do" I pulled the car over and parked. We walked over to the exact spot, I dropped to one knee and produced a ring from my coat pocket...

That was 35 years ago and we're still happily married (though I freely admit that was my romantic peak!).

tery and moosie like this.
  10. walpow

walpow Tele-Meister

Andrea and I met on December 26, 1989. On our first date we went to a restaurant. On December 26 of the next three years we went to the same restaurant. Each year it got worse. On December 27, 1992, we decided we needed to find something else to do on the next meeting anniversary to avoid the restaurant. I said, "Why don't we get married?" And so, on December 26, 1993, we did.

By the way, the proposal conversation took place in the bathroom. Romantic, eh?

11. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

Did you know the right ring size?

12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Reminds me of a joke that for some reason was told to me in an Australian accent:

'Scuse me miss - would you like a shag?'

'Certainly not, you horrid little man!'

'Well do ya mind lyin' down while I have one?'

13. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Luckily I got one who was. We got married at the stroke of midnight on Halloween at a kitschy Vegas chapel and flew to New Orleans for the honeymoon. True story. We got matching voodoo dolls and have been sticking each other with pins ever since. Not true, but the best ideas always come after the fact.

The proposal was less dramatic. I drove her up to the mountains after the first big snowfall of the season. We'd been together for over ten years at that point, so I can only hope a little part of her was afraid that I was looking for someplace to hide the body. Imagine her disappointment when I reached menacingly into my coat pocket and pulled out... a ring :D

14. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I said "Yes, Dear, of course I will." Regretted it right away.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  15. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

First time, I have her an empty ring box and said "Why don't we go find something to put in here?"

Second time, she proposed to me; I brought the ring to the beach (I know, I know) afterwards and gave it to her and her family freaked out thinking that I had proposed then.

16. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

You married up. She’s the one with regrets. Not all threads are liars threads

17. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

She had a laptop 27 years ago? I'm impressed!

18. Vitadog

Vitadog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Found my girlfriend of four weeks crying with a pregnancy test in her hand. Took about two minutes of silence for me to man up and ask her to marry me, that was 27 years ago and we are still going strong.

telemnemonics, Ira7 and william tele like this.
  19. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Christmas Day I took presents to her house.
    I had gotten her a sweater , a robe, perfume and since she collected bells, 4 silver bells. I wrapped each bell separately , one had a snow flake design handle , the next a snowman, the next a reindeer and the one at the bottom had a Christmas tree. I removed the clapper on the tree bell and tied the ring inside. I still wrapped the clapper in the paper so when she opened the last bell, the tree, the clapper fell out and she flipped the bell over to find the ring.
    Truth be told her first thought was "Cheap Bastard"
    I would like to declare that I , the Mysterious Mr Cairo, is the greatest Romantic of TDPRI.
    I'm a Doctor of Love..........

Ira7 likes this.
  20. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

If memory serves from 44 years ago, we came to the conclusion we should be married to each other. Not exactly a proposal, but a common understanding. (I met her while I was playing guitar at a local roller rink.)

Ira7 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.