How did you become a Tele nut?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mark, Sep 14, 2014.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my first Tele in 1970, after hearing Clarence White and realizing that there was a guitar tone other than that of a Strat or an SG. The bridge pickup was different from the other guitars. And, as primarily the rhythm player in a band with a terrific lead-man, I liked the complimentary tones the first two switch stops gave me, for backing an SG player. It just seemed to work well at everything. Since then, I've come to appreciate the Strat. But, I never really warmed to the SG. So, it's been mostly Fenders ever since. And, those are mostly Teles.

Blondes-Group-2.jpg

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, that's such a hot pic.

3. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

35 tears ago I ................read on

Bought a marbled finish white affair with the ashtray etc was so dumb I trades it for an Aria Pro (Cardinal series) wait for it , because it had a tailored case I liked better than the teles , how screwed up was that ????????????? the Aria lasted about a month (if that) , took me about 30 odd guitars before I landed another tele and realised what a Fa~~y I was all those years ago and trust me the Fa~~y descriptor in Scotland is a lot more acerbic than in the states , hovever I`m here now with my baby and I`m a happy man Incidentaly , the same time I punted the tele , I went through the back door of a Toyota Corrola at about 75 / 80 mph , it wasn,t a great year for me , lol :cool: thought I`d be better by now , but I`m stuck with you lunatics , and a Tele (right) what else ?????????????????:eek::cool::cool::cool: LITE DEF (2).jpg

LITE TELE 01.jpg

LITE TELE 02.jpg

LITE D.jpg

4. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

I had been playing for several years and always wanted to build a guitar. So I took some advice and got a kit to start with. When I got the kit I found a video/thread posted on this site for assistance. I've never been the same. I LOVE that guitar. It was super cheap off ebay, but I changed it around enough to where it is better than almost every squier I've ever played. After that I started to notice that the "sound" I'd been hearing on the radio was coming out of my fingers. I found what I had been listening to for so many years in old country songs.

I have tried to play strats and only one or two have ever felt any good since I started playing Tele's.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The more apropos question is.......

Why did I resist so long?

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine tells, of going away to a small college and seeing right off the "girl of his dreams". He dated 4-5-6 others there, plus a few away from school and only showed interest in the one he was really on the Earth for after he'd polished up his manners and learned some of the do's and do not's of courtship. Takes a confident person to try that approach.

Why did I not go for the Esquires and Teles first (especially when used ones, nice players were so cheap)? I was dim witted - that's my best estimate of what was goin' on. I thought I needed to be David Crosby or something.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe you, er your friend, feared rejection? :lol:

7. boris bubbanov

Pretty sure my friend was in the driver's seat - I don't think he ever got rejected.

But back to what we're really talking about - an interesting segue for sure:

That Subject Which We Don't Like to Broach:

I frankly felt women would not be interested in Telecasters. While guitarists themselves see guitars as tools of the trade, when we take off our guitarist hats and start making decisions about guitars the way we choose cars, apartments, clothes, bars and places to eat out, I'm afraid the prevailing "wisdom" was a Tele or Esquire was gonna make you lose out on getting that girl's phone number - it would be like telling the young lady you lived with your Grandmother and drove an International Scout with no A/C. Or you drive a Nash and played the English Horn. Yeah, I know this post is gonna get some angry responses but Teles were simply not considered sexy next to Strats and Guild Starfires and Hamers and ES 335s and other "racier" looking guitars. Tar me and feather me but I think at least some of you guys know what I mean.

Some of you guys have so much playing ability, so much star power you could play anything ever made. That would not be me on either account. I needed to make a visual "statement" with the guitar - I needed a running start in the appearance department. I didn't get the sense a Tele could give me that in the 1970s, 80s, 90s. Today, a Tele is sexy but you know it is far too late for me to be in a position to parlay that.

8. euro

euro Tele-Holic

I understand where yo are coming from Boris. I believe that as we mature, we realize that our decisions as to how we view others, or how they view us change. Personally, I never thought about the guitar I played having an impact on how I was looked at by women.

I only wanted to start playing guitar because I really loved the guitar and wanted to play it. I was just 7 when this happened and was not thinking about girls, or what they thought.

I never bought a specific type of guitar to attract women, but then I never thought about it that way. Today, I believe I am using more flambouyant guitars then at any time in my past. (see picture at left.)

9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I ignored teles for many many years of playing. Had SGs, strats, several Ibanez and always thought the tele was for country music. A bassist brought one to a gig for me to try and I twanged it for a few seconds then went back to tuning the RG350.
    But that first few seconds seemed to have planted a seed and I bought a tele copy. Didn't like it very much but rather than abandon teles I kept trying various models and have ended up playing nothing else. Every so often I flirt with another type of guitar but it never lasts very long and I come back to the plank.

10. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

probably the worst reason but its my story

One of the first gigs I went to was Pat Benatar in Birmingham UK 1982

Neil Giraldo at the time was playing a Telecaster with a rope strap - I thought it was the coolest stripped down guitar i'd seen at that point and 2 years later I bought one - unfortunately it was the tele elite which I still have but have never bonded with.

A year later I bought a bashed up 78 - it was and continues to be my most treasured guitar - just one of those that feels great and resonates

I bought it with schecter replacement humbuckers bridge and neck and a replacement bridge and tuners - its been everywhere with me and I love it

11. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer Fenders. Always have. Just took me awhile to get around to the Telecaster. I am actually thinking of selling the Strat and getting a higher end Telecaster. They seem to "fit" me better, as primarily a rhythm guitarist. Still has a good enough bite for a little lead action if you need. It also seems more comfortable to sit and play.

12. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Apparently, you haven't seen this one from a later episode of "Ozzie & Harriet":

AMEN, BROTHER!!!!!

13. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Check out www.archive.org and their live music archive for lots of great Weider stuff and all freely downloadable.

14. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

I became a Tele nut after joining this site. I can't remember how I found it, but I'm glad I did. Four and counting!

15. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

For me it first was the look and the "simple" design...But after playing one i was hooked! Always tried some different models/guitars, but always came back to Telecasters.
    I also love to mod guitars and there's for sure no other guitar that's better to mod the hell out of and get back to stock and still love it....

16. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Joe Strummer.
    Maybe Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers a little, too, but mainly Strummer when I was a kid, buying my first records at about age ten, Clash, Stranglers, Police etc .
    My older mate was in a band that used to play punk/new wave stuff and his Dad had bought him a US Tele which he let me play a couple of times and I always wanted one. Took me a while to get a decent one but Teles have always been my choice.

17. boris bubbanov

OK. Here's an "excuse" for lateness that may or may not make sense to you.

I was normally not the "primary" guitarist in the bands I was in. I sang a lot of lead vocals, played keyboards a good bit of the time, and I had a '66 Fender six string Student Steel with that piercing "bridge" pickup for covering some of the sounds Gibsons were unable to cover. It was my strange, mixed up belief at least for a while that I could cover a decent amount of "Tele" territory with my '66 Fender Student Steel (you know, the ones with the screw in legs, no pedals).

Pretty silly, huh? :^)

18. Hueycaster

Hueycaster TDPRI Member

I started playing guitar in 1970 I was in 1st grade I had a crazy looking silver tone guitar and silver tone amp from sears. I got them for Christman 1970 wish I still had them lucky my next door neighbor was a player not great but he taught me some cowboy chords and some licks it did not last to long because I started to teach him things well he had a tele and it looked and sounded great I fell in love with teles the only problem I was a small kid and the tele felt like it was a ton well when I got bigger in 6 th grade I got my first tele thanks to my Dad R.I.P wonderful man but I've been hooked since 1970 long live Fender Telecasters

19. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

So did you end up with the "racy" high maintenance Hamer girl or the Tele girl - down to earth, always reliable, and gorgeous in a plain kind of way?

20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

well I was layin' 'round, in a bin... 'n someone picked me, shaped me into a little sliver, with 6 notches... glued me into the slot on a neck, 'n the rest is history...

Ron Kirn

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.