How did you become a Tele nut?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mark, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

Teles are really signature for Buchanan. However, note that Beck has long since left the house, he is a pure Stratocaster player now.

2. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

Brent Mason has long since left the Tele, he plays some other guitars mostly now. Jonny has stayed Tele to the bone.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Uh uh. Doesn't he play a Music Man?

EDIT: He does

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Some great stories here.

For me it was Roy Buchanan, Albert Collins, and Danny Gatton.

Rest in peace.

5. Rocketman_ab

Rocketman_ab Tele-Meister

I was always an LP guy, ever since I can remember...really liked Slash, Joe Perry, that kinda thing. Always really curious about the Tele though...liked the Stones, especially live stuff. Keith Richards just looked so cool with a tele. However...I never really felt the tele sound was 'me'. Not into icepick sounds, or at the other extreme, the typical jazz guitar sound. I started to get into the band Dawes, and the way Taylor Goldsmith plays...after that I had to have a tele.

6. Devillian

Devillian Tele-Meister

Ha! Funny how things come back in fashion!

I'm in my twenties, and for me (and many of my friends), strats were the guitars your dad thought were cool, while teles were a little older and had that old johnny cash-era cool (which had come back into vogue) while also having the street cred of punk-era bands like the clash, as well as plenty of modern indie rock bands using them.

Strats still look like the guitar your dentist's wife buys him for his 60th to me but i'm slowly coming round. Saw a blue strat with a tortoise shell pickguard and rosewood neck the other day that's doing laps in my brain.

Fashion...it's complicated.

Fortunately, the tele is timeless

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Haha. Telecasters are the little black dress of the guitar world. Or maybe the blue jeans.

8. the_stoot64

the_stoot64 Tele-Meister

I won a few hundred on the pokies and went to my local guitar shop to buy a Tokai SG I saw there a few days earlier. It was gone but I was determined to buy a guitar so I played literally every guitar in the shop and walked away with a G&L Tele.

Before then I thought they were very bland and generic, and would never imagined I they would be my main guitar. This one is special though, in my hands it sounds fatter than my Les Paul.

9. ESQUIREoholic

ESQUIREoholic Tele-Afflicted

I thought the Strat was the end all when I first stared playing and it was my first really nice guitar. Played it for 3 years until...I picked up a Tele...I was totally taken by the guitar and I've been playing Telecasters ever since. 40+ years now. The Shape, the Feel, the Sound - through a Blackface Princeton , Deluxe, or Vibrolux.......SWEET!

10. euro

euro Tele-Holic

No win here, but thank you. I have had, for financial reasons, to unload my guitar collections on three separate ocassions.
    I am just now getting back up to speed.

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

It's the sound of the belt buckle loosening, in the blue jeans, after the little black dress hits the floor.

12. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

First of all, AWESOME thread! It's great to hear about a feeling, attraction, or idea instead of "what Telecaster do you have" for a change! Don't get me wrong, I like to hear about your guitars that I'll never be able to own!

Here's my punt-fake-pass to the tele that ended in a complete blindside of perspective... eh, for the better.

I never really knew, when I started, what my options were in terms of guitar/pickups/pedal/amp configuration and was generally just wading into deeper water as I continuously bought and sold gear. I must've bought and eventually sold a handful of amps, dozens of pedals, and nearly sixty guitars by now but finally found my most excellent combo, the "euphoria blend"... that's a homemade euphemism to relate to things that I found recreationally appealing in my younger years to things that I now find recreationally appealing these days (guitar playing) as my job drug tests (maaaan). Anyway, I never really got into Telecasters and used to generalize them as (f)ugly, slabby, soulless pieces of wood that country-bumpkins picked to justify the existence of the country music genre. I almost smacked myself as I typed that last sentence!

I've been predominantly a Strat lover but as I said have explored many other guitars. I'd always chased the tones of my favorites (Gilmour, McCready, Clapton, Mayer, ect..) I've never heard a Telecaster player that I wanted to sound just like because I apparently lack such kings in my musical library (looking to remedy that). The few Telecasters that I've owned were short lived in terms of how long I wanted to even look at them, much less pick one up. Trebely, lifeless... Dammit! What jibberish! The beauty of the Telecaster is that it allows you to express yourself without the allure of sounding like someone else because its so dang versatile.

Fast you forward ne'yah! I wield proudly and ferociously (with a touch of soul) my Baja Telecaster (my only electric), Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb (my only amp) w/ a 10'' Celestion Gold speaker and I am a man of infinite content... a word us gear-heads RARELY, if ever, claim to be. But I stand (sit) before you and say (type) that this is THE "euphoria blend" that has made me the most satisfied electric guitar player that I could possibly ever hope to become. All praises to the Fender Telecaster. The most versatilely-beautiful craft of simplicity in music that will resonate eons beyond its genesis! Peace!

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Can't top the prose of the previous post but I have a tale of beguilement that rivals the lure of the ancient sirens. I had owned an SG for years and I loved the sound but could never get comfortable with it. Then after a long hiatus I decided to get back into electric with a Strat my wife found for me on CL (bless her). I really liked playing the Strat much better than the SG. I had always hated / ignored Telecasters but I figured if the Strat was good, I would amuse myself with a Tele purchase, completely unaware of the aforementioned beguilement.

I bought a midnight wine MIM Standard Tele off of ebay. It arrived and I strapped it on. It felt strange, it felt not too bad, it felt wonderful, it felt flippin' fantastic. OMG, I couldn't believe it! Where have you been all my life? I have been captivated and transported by this formerly ugly, now beautiful instrument. I sold the Strat and now have 4 Teles.

14. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I played one in 1991 when I was looking for an electric guitar for a comedy show I was playing in. To me, it's the ultimate electric guitar.

15. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

For me, it was my teenage Beatlemania. I had this Beatles Bio book that had this image of George in it. I am not sure that was the first time I was exposed to telecasters, but it was the first time I became aware of them and wanted one.
    [​IMG]

16. bri

bri Tele-Holic

+1

17. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

I read Tom Wheeler's "The Guitar Book" just as I was starting to play the instrument in 1974. At the time, I didn't know there was such a thing as a Telecaster. But after reading Tom's chapter on the Tele - it's place in music history and culture, it was the STORY that hooked me. Also, the the book's large format photo of a pristine, natural finish, rosewood fingerboard Tele helped immensely.

18. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Started out on a Strat. After going acoustic, went for a Tele for simplicity. Went back to Strats and then added Teles back to the mix. Being here is what makes me a nut.

19. Sea Level

Sea Level Tele-Meister

Steve Cropper 1967, "I'm A Soul Man".

20. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

I played several flattop Pauls (Jr., a prototype dual cutaway, etc) for years (country rock) and ran across a new 94 MIM on sale because it was a year old. 275 plus tax I think. I never plugged it in, it just had solid sustain and sounded good unplugged, so I bought it, knowing I would swap out the pickups. I settled on a Texas Custom Shop set, which was $160 even back then. Installed myself and slowly started incorporating it in my stage playing. It was a few more years before I became a real Tele nut, as I started playing blues, and appreciating the versatility of the guitar for those mid tones....not clean, not dirty. The more I worked on technique and picking style, the more the Tele made sense, and I sold off the Les Pauls. Now I have four very different Teles, plus a Pawnshop 51 hybrid.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.