How did the great rockers repaint their guitars?

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I find it interesting to know that famous rock stars do the same kind of dumb stuff that a lot of the rest of us do. Confirmation that we are all geeks at heart, just some of us either get lucky or maybe have that "something extra."

Last edited:

beninma

Friend of Leo's
People take all this stuff too seriously... these players were following the style of the times, everyone was much more used to seeing hand painted/drawn designs back then cause almost no one had access to computers and fancy stuff... even professionally designed stuff back then had far more handwork involved.

And when you've got something to say with your music it just doesn't matter whether the finish of the guitar is meticulous.

Lost_N_Austin

Friend of Leo's
I remember reading that Dick Dale would change the color of his normally Gold Strat. I assume it was just a spray can.

15A2DC7A-D78A-4DBC-A4BC-421FE1952CF7.jpeg
Lost_N_Austin

Last edited:

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
When Fender released their reissue of Jimmy Page's "dragon" Telecaster in 2019, he and one of Fender's technicians discussed how he originally painted it, starting at about the 3:00 minute mark:

So, do you know if Jimmy painted ALL of the dragon guitars?

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
I once had some oddball shaped guitar, probably in the early 80's.

I painted it white with rattle can paint, then splattered it with different colored florescent paints. It looked pretty good for the time period.

I sold it to a friend who owned a music store. A couple of months later he said he had sold it to some guy, and he came back saying when he started sweating, all of the florescent paint started running.

Oops, I guess it was water based.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
So, do you know if Jimmy painted ALL of the dragon guitars?
He painted a portion of all the custom shop sets.
" Page visited our Custom Shop in Corona, CA and personally painted a portion of the dragon design on each guitar."

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
My guess is many, if not most, were done with Testor's brush-on enamels. Back in the 60s and 70s, plastic models were very popular, and so were the paints for them. Often, these were dudes just personalizing their tools of the trade, not altering valuable instruments. Probably less incentive for a guitar thief as well - gonna be harder to fence.

As time went on and these same dudes became very rich, they could afford custom, professional commissions to get what they wanted, because they were too busy to bother. Musicians may often be artistic, but that doesn't make them good craftsmen.

Attachments

• 81rAdgpv+xS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81rAdgpv+xS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 9

Alchemist_PhD

Tele-Meister
I agree. To do that to a Pre CBS Sonic Blue Strat is an abomination. :eek: :(
When was this painted 196x? ?? The concept of pre CBS, vintage, collectible guitars were not common vernacular in those days. It’s the same as you painting an American standard.

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
I wish I had a photo of my first partscaster. It was a genuine Fender body, but its identifying marks has been destroyed before I got it. I painted it in overall coats of about 7-8 different, bold colors in acrylic, allowing each color to fully dry. After drying I sanded down through the color layers, in psychedelic swirls, and shapes. Vernon Reid had a Hamer that looks like it was done in a similar way, only with fewer colors than mine. This one is like Reid's guitar:
DvJV8s9XcAUAvSF.jpg

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
A friend of mine used Magic Marker (the precursor to permanent Sharpie) to make a leopard-skin pattern all over the top of his sunburst Gibson J-45 acoustic. You idiot!...

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Combine a headfull of acid with some DayGlo paint and you've got Harrison's Strat.

I wouldn't say acid would be a requirement. Psychedelic art was ubiquitous during that era. I fiddled quite a bit with it when in junior high school (art, not acid). Although I doubt hallucinogenics would impair the process.

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
Cellulose on top of cellulose wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world

I expect most people just asked a friend from art college who was known to be able to spray. My dad has been in the motor trade for over 50 years and still gets requests for nitro spraying by guitarists