1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How did Fender drill for truss rod in one piece neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TenaciousP, Jan 26, 2021.

1. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Here is my setup. the 2 drill guide bushings are interchangeable. (3/16" and 3/8", screw in) I use a laser to align the neck with the drill guide, using a centerline on the neck. the neck shown is just for illustration. The drill guides are at a 3 degree angle. Works great. I only have done headstock Adjustable trussrods.

20210305_174627.jpg

Joe D P and guitarbuilder like this.
  2. Joe D P

Joe D P TDPRI Member

But wood shaper are costly. Can we use a wood router for this purpose?

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You can make a router jig like Jack Wells shows in his one piece neck thread. You theoretically can also use an arbor and slot cutter for routers with a sideways pattern, but I'm not sure that would be long enough to get to the middle of a neck. I have one...but never tried it.

Whiteside has a 4" long one which probably could do the trick with the right cutter. A 3/4 bearing will allow you to go 9/16" deep. A fender neck slot is .613 deep from the back of the neck at the end of the skunk stripe. You of course have to consider the dia of the cutter too, so there would be some excavation necessary at those two points. The JWells concept is the way to go...curved ramps for the router over the neck wood.

Whiteside Slot Cutter Arbor | Whiteside Router Bits (highlandwoodworking.com)

Building A One Piece Neck......... | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

TrussChannelJig.jpg

Lastly you can program your home cnc router to do the slot with little effort if you know how to use the machine and do the CAD/CAM

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    old wrench likes this.
  4. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

For routing the channel, I made a sled that goes between two aluminum angle fences on a baseboard. My binding channel floating router jig attaches to the baseboard. There is a rounded block underneath that rides on a curved rail on the sled causing the router to cut the curved channel as the sled is pushed though underneath.

it’s a little overkill, but it works really well. It keeps the ends of the channel perpendicular to the neck surface. And the floating router part can easily be unbolted and reconfigured for binding channel use as needed.
    C96440C8-AA7E-4655-BBFD-85B463FC4BF7.jpeg

F7E45CDF-6CE7-452D-8526-57A13A9002FD.jpeg
    D36FFE5D-1E7E-49CB-9772-49F367FDB7E8.jpeg

spyderxxx and guitarbuilder like this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a nice jig that would eliminate the tilted router issue in the jig that J. Wells came up with. The tilted router would just necessitate a little angle on the skunk stripe ends though to adjust for it. It also looks more rigid than the 2 slide one that I made for binding.

6. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Thanks man!
    If I remember correctly, when I initially built the router part for doing binding, it only had two slides as well. I quickly found that adding two more at 90 degrees to the others really made it a lot more rigid. And being made from 3/4” plywood helps a lot too. It still has the tiniest bit of play, but it’s about as good as I can get without having expensive linear bearings.

guitarbuilder likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.