1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How did Fender drill for truss rod in one piece neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TenaciousP, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

In this video, taken at the Corona factory, you can see how they set up the drill presses to do it currently at around 23:44.

zeke54 and pavel like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is the rod and nut. I divided the rod in the middle and mirrored it. The nut is at 3 degrees in red. Not that much different really.

truss rod 3 degrees.JPG

3. pavel

pavel Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Wow, well spotted Marn99!

Marn99 likes this.
  4. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Interesting.... It would be nice to just have one angle setup for both ends.

5. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Actually, in the first (short) video you posted, that same screen is shown. I noticed it last night. Definitely doing the headstock end with the same drill press setup.

6. guitarbuilder

If you had a 1/4" thick fretboard, your nut would be cutting into it a little.

7. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I can’t find it in this video at 23:44. Is it something plainly visible or should I be looking in the background? Ha ha!

8. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

actually, I think on the rosewood slab fretboard necks, the nut counterbore did cut into the bottom side of the fretboard a little.

pavel likes this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t read all of the above threads, but my guess this was and still is done with a gun-drill.

Gun drilling is type of drilling process that uses a special drill that plots itself after entering a pre-drilled and bored pilot hole.

Chips created in the drilling process (wood, steel, aluminum etc.) are evacuated down a flute on the drill and out of the part by high-pressure thru-coolant.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  10. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Incredible footage. Thank you.

My level of gratitude just shot up for this wonderful instrument.

11. pavel

pavel Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That and it also wasn't ¼" -- more like 3/16 (before they switched to the veneer boards).

59_strat-1_7.jpg

12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

The blue tilted drill presses on the left.

13. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

My understanding...and I went to the Fender factory and took the $10 tour...so I'm a total expert...is that they do the truss rod three ways.

1. Skunk Stripe. They route the back and fill with a wooden plug. That's the obvious one.

2. Capped neck with rosewood or Pau Ferro - This way, they route a slot under the fingerboard, put in the truss rod and glue the fingerboard on top.

3. Maple Cap - This is done the same way as #2, but they use matching maple for the board. It LOOKS like one piece, but it's a cap neck, same as rosewood.

1-piece neck seems like a real POA and I'm not sure it gives any sort of advantage over maple-cap.

I prefer capped necks to skunk stripe...just a thing with me.

I'll be reading more to see if someone has a drill that long.

gridlock likes this.
  14. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

From what l've seen in fender's factory tour they don't show how its done. But it so accurate and probably done with a router by computer. Maybe some could do it by hand but you have to be very accurate. Maybe at the start its drilled to a certain point. And then routered for the rest. Its so accurate you couldn't put a feeler gauge inside. In other words its sealed.

15. guitarbuilder

Take a look at at the '53 cnc build thread.

'53 CNC build | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

16. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Hey! thanks for the vedeo never seen that one before. Everything was done by hand.

17. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

I post this at the risk of appearing MUCH less than knowledgeable regard machining wood or metal. That said, as I was reading the initial post above I couldn't help recalling the "skunk stripe" on the back of Fender necks. Here's a picture of the back of the neck of a 1952 Fender Telecaster currently listed on Reverb for $49,500.00 [​IMG]

18. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We're talking about 1950s technology , I'm not a real skilled woodworker but it had to be pretty basic woodworking , but beyond my ability anyway .

19. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

It was and still is drilled from the HEAL end of the neck, using a jig, NOT from the headstock end. Except now, it's not done using a vertical drill press (ref the 1959 factory tour vid). Warmoth is one company that drills their one-piece the same way as Fender does today.

20. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

After watching this I have to say Leo would be astounded at how the "working man's " guitar he made has evolved into a company known the world around as a leader in the industry , and how much in demand and how revered the equipment bearing his name is . Thank you Leo !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.