How Dealers Continually Find Beautiful Vintage Teles To Sell

tg_banjo

TDPRI Member
I had a one owner 57 Tele that I ran a thread on here a couple years back with detailed pics asking about value. I had contacted Gruhn's and Carter's about possibly dropping it off for appraisal and consignment sale, then covid hit. When I got back to it this year I noticed someone on the forum had suggested someone else contact True Vintage Guitars. I emailed a note to John and sent him the same pics plus a couple others he requested. A few months later John contacted me telling me he would be in my general area, made a firm offer on the guitar pending inspection, and gave me a choice of payment options including all cash.

John came, saw the guitar was as claimed, paid the full offered value and didn't try to beat the price down. He was knowledgeable, pleasant, and a good guy to deal with. He bought the guitar for what the sale price would have been (or possibly a little more) if I had done consignment from the others. It was a sure immediate sale, and I didn't have to spend a couple days on a trip to Nashville. John also paid additional and bought three amps that I had with the guitar that the Nashville shops told me to scrap because they had no value.

The guitar was presented on this forum as being for sale with a bunch of pictures, and not a single person on the forum ever asked about purchasing it. A couple replied that if I left it in Nashville to let them know and they would look at it, but no one said "I'm interested in buying". The guitars go to the dealers like John that know their business and make a reasonable offer, and the players miss out because they are afraid of commitment or are wary of scams (understandably for the amount of money these sell for).

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm having a nation-wide gathering for owners of Telecasters, vintages '69 and older. It will be at a small motel on dark, dusty road on the outskirts of a deserted town somewhere in the Ohio Valley. All you can drink open bar. Shhh ... don't tell anyone. Come alone.

Bwahahahaha!

So, instruments from 1969 and earlier, or owners from 1969 and earlier? I am one of those two!

redhouse_ca

Tele-Meister
I'm having a nation-wide gathering for owners of Telecasters, vintages '69 and older. It will be at a small motel on dark, dusty road on the outskirts of a deserted town somewhere in the Ohio Valley. All you can drink open bar. Shhh ... don't tell anyone. Come alone.

Bwahahahaha!
This isn’t necessarily an answer to
your question and it may be common knowledge, but I found a larger auction house who has sold quite a few. I noticed that there are some lucky buyers who bid on guitars where the number of bidder was very low and got some good prices. A bunch of them showed up on Reverb right after the auction with very, how shall I say, ‘ambitious’ markups. Nothing wrong with that, but it does give you a feel for the sellers floor on reverb which could be helpful if you find something you want to buy.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I was joking, that would be creepy.
Eeek!

But, I did put my mother in an assisted living place for a few weeks so I could clean out some of her house and replace bathroom fixtures.
One day I dropped in and she dragged me over to a old codger who could walk but barely put together a cohesive sentence.
He had his fairly good antique fiddle there in a case but could not remember how to tune it!
Me old Ma told him I would tune his fiddle right! and I did so.
A droopy sad old man with downcast eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and went dancing off to the common room playing a recognizable rendition of Danny Boy.
I go to nursing homes three or four times a week. Of course, I'm playing gigs at them, so....

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
I would not pay a premium for any vintage Fender without a comp,extended verifiable provenance.

Frankenstein are easy to make with period correct parts. How many Harmony Stratotones were dismantled for their pots and switches?