How Dealers Continually Find Beautiful Vintage Teles To Sell

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
I'm having a nation-wide gathering for owners of Telecasters, vintages '69 and older. It will be at a small motel on dark, dusty road on the outskirts of a deserted town somewhere in the Ohio Valley. All you can drink open bar. Shhh ... don't tell anyone. Come alone.

Bwahahahaha!

Last edited:

bterry

Tele-Meister
^^ that’s true. It’s also true that dealers still pursue guitars for years, slowly working to bring them to market. Believe it or not, it’s also true that folks still occasionally walk in with amazing Telecasters.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The better dealers network with estate liquidators and smaller shops that don't do interweb sales. An estate auction in the boonies isn't the place to get prime $$ on vintage gear, so they ring up their favorite dealer and ask them what they will buy it for.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I used to know a guy that did similar.

Very strange human. Some days you’d think he was your best friend. Other times you get the “Have we met?” vibe.
I was joking, that would be creepy.
Eeek!

But, I did put my mother in an assisted living place for a few weeks so I could clean out some of her house and replace bathroom fixtures.
One day I dropped in and she dragged me over to a old codger who could walk but barely put together a cohesive sentence.
He had his fairly good antique fiddle there in a case but could not remember how to tune it!
Me old Ma told him I would tune his fiddle right! and I did so.
A droopy sad old man with downcast eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and went dancing off to the common room playing a recognizable rendition of Danny Boy.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
There are a lot of really nice old guitars in the hands of folks in their 80's who played Post-WWII and bought them in the '50s and '60s.

They're getting nursing home age now, and their kids don't want to deal, rightfully.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There are a lot of really nice old guitars in the hands of folks in their 80's who played Post-WWII and bought them in the '50s and '60s.

They're getting nursing home age now, and their kids don't want to deal, rightfully.
Plus a bunch in the hands of the kids whose Dad didn’t come back from Vietnam and the Mom kept his guitar in brand new condition.

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
Some of these dealers have been sitting on huge stashes of vintage guitars since the late 1970s, trickling them out of the warehouse as demand requires.

This also has the desired (for them) effect of keeping guitars out of circulation, thus making them seem more rare than they really are.
And drive the prices up in the process.

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
"Me old Ma told him I would tune his fiddle right! and I did so"

You are a good person telemnemonics ......St Peter knows of these things......

[I did a similar thing, but on a wooden framed piano....& used a Drum Tensioning key to complete the task, but took about 7 hours over 2 days...& more than a few beers]

Derek