How cheating at WORDLE made me a better person

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thank you for my daily Schadenfreude.

In all seriousness the real German language wordle sux because it's also five letter words but highly generic ones like "deine" or "ihren". Whoever is responsible for it is a real Kreativitätsallergiker.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
In all seriousness the real German language wordle sux because it's also five letter words but highly generic ones like "deine" or "ihren". Whoever is responsible for it is a real Kreativitätsallergiker.

A coworker once showed me a crossword puzzle in Hungarian. Longer words could bend 90 degrees to fit in the puzzle!

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
I think there is a lot of Wordle cheating going on.
There may be, but as far as I can tell, the Wordlebot stats all fall within the parameters of statistical liklihood.
I *thought* there was cheating, but couldn't prove it, so was forced to withdraw my complaint and get better strategy :lol:

I consider using a pen and paper as cheating too. And looking at word lists?!
Yeah, right!?! :lol:
But Wordle is abusing word lists without telling us, IMHO, so I now thinking checking at least the 2 Wordle lists, "eligible words" and "past answers" is fair play. IMHO. and YMMV. 😁

Have they finally hidden the word of the day from the .js file?
I don't think they have 👍

For every other creature on earth, all competition is directly connected to basic survival.
But Peegoo, social creatures "play" too, cubs, pups, kittens etc. Playing is both competitive and instructive in many species, as well as just being plain fun, don't you think? And yes of course, connected to basic survival, not arguing that :)

:::

bebopbrain

Tele-Holic
My approach is 4 words with no letters in common (but all common letters). I trot these out, open loop, following the script until I find 4 letters. The words I use are TRADE, BLOG, FUNKY, CHIMP.

Then I revert to normal play, trying to guess the answer with either 4 letters in hand or a tiny set of remaining letters.

I have "won" (gotten in six) a hundred times in a row. But my average steps to solve is probably lower than average.

smoothrecluse

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I can usually get it in 3 or 4. A few times in 2, then I go to the teacher next door and gloat.

There used to be a game show called “Lingo,” which was basically a mashup between Wordle and Bingo. A friend of mine pretty much broke the game, and we’re all sure he cheated somehow, but he’s kept his lips sealed. Just one of his many exploits.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My main tactical move is if i get ONE green letter in the first word and there are still many possible solutions. My wife insists on using that green letter in the second guess (it's correct!) while I'd rather add another untested letter in the second guess, to get more info.

I hold a second guess in my head ("what I would have done, otherwise") with the green letter and it has only matched once (a two!!!), so I'm sticking with the odds and not using the green letter in the second guess unless there are only a few possibilities. Doing this, I can get it in three guess a fair bit of the time.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
If anyone tells you they average under 3.85 (long term), they're either cheating or not counting the fails (I've had 8 fails out of 272 -- no doubt one or two I forgot to get back to but oh well -- and would count them as a 7 for averaging). I saw an article about the best cities/countries at Wordle and apparently the Swedes are the best Wordlers in the world with an average 3.72. The kicker is, this is the average of the scores they shared on social media! Well, duh.

dean

Friend of Leo's
I do this with two other buddies on a daily basis - we play WORDLE GOLF (something we made up). Three-man best-ball:
2=Eagle
3=Birdie
4=Par
5=Bogie
6=Double bogie
We text our scores every morning and one of the guys keeps score - our best is -17 which we’ve done twice. I had one 5-day stretch where I went 2-2-3-2-2. That’s my best ever, and usually one of us will get a 3 or a 2. I think this thread (which I’ve passed on to them) is the closest we’ve come to outside help. We have fun, though!

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
I think the "spirit of the game" means sucking on a pencil stump and working it out, without Turing's help :cool:
The spirit of the time, on the other hand, is to use a spell checker, GPS navigation, music samples, and countless other automated thinking/performing devices. It's funny how the amount of pleasure we derive from doing things ourselves seems to depend on the nature of a game or activity or at least how we perceive it with respect to our identity.

8bit

Tele-Meister
I can usually get it in 3 or 4. A few times in 2, then I go to the teacher next door and gloat.

There used to be a game show called “Lingo,” which was basically a mashup between Wordle and Bingo. A friend of mine pretty much broke the game, and we’re all sure he cheated somehow, but he’s kept his lips sealed. Just one of his many exploits.

Man, I LOVED Lingo.

8bit

Tele-Meister
Screenshot_20221121-224109_Chrome.jpg

This is my record. I play on the "hard mode" and I get it in 3 or 4 most of the time. I've failed probably something like 6 or 7 times over the course of the 283 days I've been playing. I think where a lot of people go wrong is they do throwaway words just to eliminate letters. While it's great to eliminate letters, you are also drastically lowering your odds of getting it correct in < 4 guesses. Most people who utilize that strategy tend to "win" a lot. But it's mostly in 5 or 6 guesses.

I only do actual legitimate guesses. Using only letters which have not already been ruled out. It takes some serious thinking sometimes. But the vast majority of the time it leads you right to the answer. And usually fairly quickly.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Similar spread here @8bit. I average just under 4. Could maybe shave a few hundredths off the average if I slowed down; I like to do it fast with my first coffee and so make the occasional bonehead move. The current streak is one because I got stuck yesterday and forgot to go back to it. Still don't know what the word was. I played 'hard mode' for a long time (before realising that's what it's called), generally starting with ADIEU or something vowel heavy. Got bored with that and now my standard opening is STAID, LONER, unless I get multiple hits on the first word. I'm really not sure if I score better now. It's certainly an addictive game; I would have only missed a few days since starting. I play Quordle most days too. That's a tougher game in the sense that you only get 9 moves to get all 4 words. Obviously the 'easy mode' opening helps there.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
I think where a lot of people go wrong is they do throwaway words just to eliminate letters.
Yeah, this was my "mistake".
I overestimated the difficulty of making it in three, so I played it safe.
But my research ended up showing that sometimes there were very few possibles for a solution in three, so it was worth trying for.
Of course, a bit of luck don't hurt either.
Looking at you, AXIOM :lol:

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Have they finally hidden the word of the day from the .js file?
Now I don't know.
I can't find a javascript file with the word list when I save the web page, but maybe that's just me.
I am a computer hobbyist, not a pro, so maybe I'm wrong.
Can't find anything definite on the web, and all the info on the javascript hack is old.
Rumors have it the NYT's has changed the page code to make it more secure.
Interesting article here, but no answer to your question:

WORDLEBOT ANALYSIS

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
I like Wordle. Sometimes I solve it real quick and other times I have to pull out my phone throughout the day. I jot things down too because my brain isn’t what it used to be.

I also liked today’s mini crossword:
7C999887-84BB-4346-8A8B-9D00F5858A3B.png