How can you tell a vintage Fender guitar case from a worn vintage-correct reissue?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by paulcarr66, Jul 14, 2010.

1. paulcarr66

paulcarr66 TDPRI Member

How can you tell if a Fender guitar case is truly vintage or just a worn/reliced vintage-correct reissue? Are there any tell-tale signs that would differeniate them? I know that this can be a real problem with other Fender parts such as pickguards and you have to be either very knowledgeable or very careful of who you buy from.

2. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I can't!

Tim

3. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Typically the RI cases have the G&G badge inside no? The vintage ones I've seen sem to be a bit sturdier (thicker ply wood - just push down on the top of a G&G case, they're not that sturdy really) and have a certain color scheme and structure to the inside lining and bracing. Less flashy crumpled velvet and more standard dark red velvet etc.

4. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking this last month, sitting at the bar and trying to tell myself the amateur performer didn't really have an early '60s Tele. But his blonde case was within sight, and the leather wrapped ends looked 25-30 years old.

Is 10 year old leather going to look like that, I wondered?

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

The old ones smell old something you cant recreate easy.

6. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

My 83 a.v.r.i 57 reissue Strat case is soooo torn up that lots o folks think I got the real deal 57

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I just know.

8. paulcarr66

paulcarr66 TDPRI Member

I've spent the last couple of years modding my 1983 '62 Reissue Strat so that it looks more like a real '62 just because I hate the fact that they were too lazy to do it themselves (see below). In the end there were a few obvious appointments that I couldn't correct: the serial number and the space between the dot markers on the 12th fret. One thing I didn't feel was worth doing was replacing the plastic dot markers with clay markers (I don't even know if this was possible). My OCD does have it's limits after all!

[​IMG]

Now the last thing I need to complete this picture is a beat-up vintage reissue Coffee/Brown Tolex case (vintage-correct for '62), so I've been keeping an eye out for one on eBay. If anyone knows where I can find a good deal on a worn one (but with working latches) please let me know. Thanks!

9. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

The size! I have a '56 Tweed case, a '60 Brown case and a '63 white case.
    (as well as the guitars that came with them) The RI Tweed cases are noticeable larger.

coloradojeff likes this.
  10. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

What he said...

11. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

I've got a clean mid-50s tweed Telecaster case (alas without a guitar) and there's really no comparison. I've got a few newer ones too and G & G doesn't even really try to make these cases "replicas." so there are 100 differences, big and small.
    And trying to build a counterfeit case would be kinda stupid. (If you've got that kind of skill, you could make plenty of money, legally, by working on $50,000 guitars.)
    I don't think there's a market for forgery quality fake vintage cases, so I think you'd be able to differentiate real from reissue just from a photograph.

12. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Paul
    Nice job. FWIW, it's quite easy for a competent luthier to replace the plastic dots with clay and to change the spacing at the 12 fret on a rosewood board guitar. Callaham sells the clay dots and they're nice and quite inexpensive. Callaham also sells neckplates with the serial number of your choice.

13. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

The smell! I've had 3 Fender mustangs from '65-'66 and all 3 cases smelled exactly the same even though I got one in Connecticut in '69, one in North Carolina in '88 and one in California that same year.
    I still have 2 of the cases and they smell exacly the same.
    I know there's a spray for that "new car" smell. I can't believe there's not a spray for that "old case" smell.

14. cmatthes

cmatthes Tele-Meister

The older reissue cases (through the 90s) didn't have any G&G logos. You can tell based on the leather ends of the originals v. the "pleather" of the reissue cases. I had several of the reissue tweed cases in the '80s and also had original tweed and original brown Fender cases. It wears differently, and my '82 vintage tweed case and an '88 or '89 RI tweed case had black backing behind the tan leather. The original 50's and '60s cases I've had didn't have that, and wore straight through to rough, unfinished leather. The interior lining is also different - the reissue cases have a much higher orange pile lining, and my '50s tweed case had a flatter, more velvet-like red lining. The tweed was also a bit tighter weave, and had become darker and shinier over the years than the reissues. The Fender logo tag was also stamped brass on the older cases v. a silkscreened logo tag on the reissues. The handles are a bit different too.

It's actually pretty easy to spot a new v. original case, believe it or not! And as posted above, no new case has "THAT" smell - I can't describe it (other than to say it's kind of sweet, dusty and smoky, with a hint of mildew), but I know it when I smell it.

15. cyclones1

cyclones1 TDPRI Member

I was told this is a Vintage 70s Fender Telecaster/Stratocaster case? Any idea what this is and what year? Its bigger than a standard G&G case.

Attached Files:

radiocaster likes this.
  16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I've never seen a Fender case with blue lining and the end padding rounded off like that; they had orange or reddish linings and the padding at the end was flat. Plus by the 1970s they were putting the amp logo on the case lid.

That being said even into the 1970s Fender distributors in other countries would often not order the cases Fender USA offered and would source them locally - if this one was reimported from somewhere else anything is possible.

17. Pluckit

Pluckit TDPRI Member

I just was wondering if someone could tell me anything about this particular case. I’m thinking of buying it but I haven’t measured it yet. There are no identifying marks whatsoever and it is shorter than the reissue G&G tweed telecaster cases. Thanks very much in advance.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.