How can the moderator stop the Chinese spam?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Nov 23, 2018.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been called a spammer because I posted to a guitar that I didn't know if it was a copy of another guitar or not. I do realize I should have just posted photos instead, although I am still not sure what that guitar was.

Anyway, there could be a longer test, like how many strings does a guitar have, what company makes telecasters, what kind of music is most commonly associated with teles, and so on. Might knock off a few noobs too though.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This may help them. One of the objectives of these paid spammers may be to force the display of Chinese language Google Adsense ads.

A big room full of people somewhere in Asia being paid to generate forum posts for a customer. You can buy this kind of service for as low as $5 for 1000 posts. More money would get you more posts and more difficult to block techniques (VPN, etc.)

The why they are being paid to do this is that they want to impact Google search results, including YouTube search and suggest, and Adsense ads displayed both here and elsewhere.

cyclopean, soulman969 and Piggy Stu like this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I do not know how hard it would be for an algorithm to automatically put all wonky alphabet containing posts in a bucket and let it only be taken out by a moderator, but that is my thought

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I don't think Xenforo has that screening option but it would be a good feature for them to add, especially for post titles. Some people do legitimately ask about Chinese language phrases from time to time in posts, but not in titles.

Screening on specific Chinese words in titles might work. Xenforo does have this feature. However, determined spammers would figure this out eventually. As I noted, it depends on if they are being paid to figure it out.

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Let's all unite :D

yell at cloud Kopie.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

It was supposed to be a joke, man. Anyway, I just "ignored" yesterday's Chinese spammer and will do so to the other ones in future.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

24 track likes this.
  8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Their impact on me is close to nil. I do have to suffer the indignity of hitting the Next> button more frequently for a few pages. I assume that if it is easy to fix, it would have been fixed. So, for now, I'll just hit Next> on the New Posts page a few times a week. Meh.

Now, if I were the site owner, I would really hate this happening, as it looks like I would be a sloppy admin. In my electronic music studios that I directed for 25 years, part of my gig was to make sure that even apparently inconsequential problems raise doubts in the students' minds about how well some of the other systems are running. It creates an unstable working environment, which is as much psychological as technical.

24 track likes this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OOPS I did it again!

tumblr_mrxiszRrSE1rivnbco1_500.gif

pamela$327154546.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. luckett

luckett Banned

I'm posting in a thread where people are posting about what other people are posting in other threads.

11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I read elsewhere that Amazon uses AI to scan their feedback/reviews to remove inappropriate posts.

If this forum reaches 300 million users like Amazon, then the owners might be able to afford a like solution.

12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never seen a single one. My advice is just ignore it.

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

You can only put them on ignore one poster at a time. That would be useful advice if there wasn’t dozens and dozens of them - otherwise you spend more time putting Chinese hackers on ignore the you do reading posts.

It’s been better recently, but at times it’s made the site unusable so maybe should be taken a bit more seriously than saying “just ignore”.

Hopefully the recent improvement means it is being taken more seriously.

14. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Give him two egg lo's and call me in the morning;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.