How can the Custom Shop get simple things wrong?

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Maybe because.. it's custom shop? Therefore it's custom. You just want different details, that you can request, as someone maybe did with this one ;)

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Across the street from Anderson Guitarworks
Just sowing some chaos... spitfire would make you a killer lefty tort pg relic'd to match the rest of the guitar 🤓

It's a good look for a maple/blonde 60s tele. You could sell the mint one on reverb and recoup most of the cost.

img_0116.jpg

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I was just playing my '67 relic Telecaster the other night, and every time I take it out, I wonder why they put a "mint" pickguard on it. I'm pretty sure standard Teles didn't come with those, just the Tele Customs, until the mid-60's when they all changed to white 3 ply. And it's not wrong per se, but it would've been cool if it had the transition logo instead of the black one. Just me ranting about an otherwise pretty good guitar. Carry on...
. View attachment 944507
Would you be expecting to buy a Telecaster new in 1967 with a dented body and fingerboard damage?

Duncan

Tele-Meister
I honestly don't think there was ever a '67 Tele offered as a price list guitar from the Custom Shop. The Custom Shop could build a lefty as a special order, but again, there was not any lefty offered as a standard price list guitar. Your guitar was very likely a custom ordered piece.

I remember a guy that ordered what he called a Nocaster 50's Tele, but he wanted a rosewood board and Candy Apple Red paint. Per his request, the Certificate said "Custom 50's Nocaster" on it.

Not everything going out of the Custom Shop is vintage correct.

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly don't think there was ever a '67 Tele offered as a price list guitar from the Custom Shop. The Custom Shop could build a lefty as a special order, but again, there was not any lefty offered as a standard price list guitar. Your guitar was very likely a custom ordered piece.

I remember a guy that ordered what he called a Nocaster 50's Tele, but he wanted a rosewood board and Candy Apple Red paint. Per his request, the Certificate said "Custom 50's Nocaster" on it.

Not everything going out of the Custom Shop is vintage correct.
Amen to that, Duncan, especially your last sentence. There are so many "incorrect" models coming out of the CS it would be impossible to list them all. And I don't mean that as a bad thing. Right now, I'm looking at a double-bound CS Strat with locking tuners, among other "wrong" features. If anyone wants vintage correct, there are models out there, or buy the real thing.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yeah, that's not a mistake, nor something wrong, it's a color choice. Plenty of people will think it looks great with the mint PG. In matters of personal taste, no one is right or wrong, just different.

middy

Friend of Leo's
They don’t owe him a thing. They produced a product, he bought it.
If it was custom shop order for a ‘67 relic, then they got it wrong. Would Lace sensor pickups be ok with you too?

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it was custom shop order for a ‘67 relic, then they got it wrong. Would Lace sensor pickups be ok with you too?
I agree that if the guitar had been a custom order, Fender got it "wrong". But, the OP said that he was the second owner. Who knows what the original owner requested, or did, to the guitar.....

TC6969

Friend of Leo's
I like my stuff to be different from everyone else's

I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited:

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
What? A custom shop guitar that's not perfect? :eek:

I think it looks badazz.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I was just playing my '67 relic Telecaster the other night, and every time I take it out, I wonder why they put a "mint" pickguard on it. I'm pretty sure standard Teles didn't come with those, just the Tele Customs, until the mid-60's when they all changed to white 3 ply. And it's not wrong per se, but it would've been cool if it had the transition logo instead of the black one. Just me ranting about an otherwise pretty good guitar. Carry on...
. View attachment 944507
i looked at it over and over and decided..it looks fine..nice black outline framing the mint color on an aged finish..ya i like it

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
. View attachment 944507
just a thought.. I did see somewhere.. either on ebay or etsy.. you can buy a relic pickguard,.. and since its a tele.. it should be an easy swap.. just make sure.. you order the one with the right amount of screw holes... to match your guitar..