How can I yellow my white pearloid pick guard ?

moonman2

Tele-Meister
I’d like to go from this ...

Attachments

• 44CDAA6A-806D-4F9C-BE89-BFF75A2D201E.jpeg
    44CDAA6A-806D-4F9C-BE89-BFF75A2D201E.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

moonman2

Tele-Meister
Yes, I realise that I can just buy a cream pearloid replacement; but is it possible to just stain the white one I currently have ?

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
The best way to achieve the look you're after is a layer or two of vintage amber nitro-lacquer. If you don't like the gloss finish, you can rub it down with 00 steel wool to give it a satin finish.

I see you are in the UK, Northwest Guitars sells Vintage Amber in aerosol cans.

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Yeah the coffee trick works from what I’ve seen, but have also heard that it will clean away. Honestly, the best way might be sun exposure. Some direct sun exposure for a x days might yellow it up pretty good

LowCaster

Tele-Afflicted
Amber nitro will cost as much as a new pickguard, and sun will take months, in summer. I don’t think coffee will really stain acrylic, but then there is no risk trying. Keep us posted.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
You could try searching for an adhesive, tinted film. I don't know if it exists, but I do recall seeing CLEAR adhesive films. I myself have purchased white adhesive film in the past.

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
Amber nitro will cost as much as a new pickguard, and sun will take months, in summer. I don’t think coffee will really stain acrylic, but then there is no risk trying. Keep us posted.
A cheap pickguard maybe but decent ones are double the cost of a can of nitro. It also depends on the effect your trying to achieve, changing colour is one thing, if you want it to look aged, then amber nitro looks great. But you are right, you need to wait for better weather.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to stain plastic with coffee.

Peter Graham

TDPRI Member
I had the same issue with my Strat. I'm pleased to say that it was really easy to sort out. Just do absolutely nothing and 34 years later you've got yourself a yellow pickguard that made the nice young man who sorted out the knackered pickup selector switch enthuse about seeing a "genuine relic". Super. Now where do I get a nice shiny new one from?

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
Turmeric does a pretty good job of staining plastic. Seems like a stronger effect when in oil and with some heat, at least on food storage containers.

It's fugitive though and will fade in the sun. Which can be a good thing if the effect is too strong.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I don't think my sarcasm would be appreciated, so I will refrain from making what would have been my original suggestion.

Trans-tint solution in denatured alcohol may - I stress MAY, work with various degrees of success. No matter the method you select I would consider the end result to be a Sacrifice of the original guard. In others, have a backup plan to replace the existing guard before you start this project.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I've done the coffee/tea thing with zero effect.

Be careful of the UV method. I left a pg on my desk that got hit by direct sun and warped it beyond use.