1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Can I Measure a Pickup in Detail?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tedtan, Sep 10, 2018.

1. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

I have a Fluke 87 iii that serves well for measuring DC resistance and (milli)voltage, but I also need to measure the inductance and resonant peak of a pickup. I assume that I will need additional tools to accomplish this, but would be happy if my existing DMM can pull this off.

Any thoughts?

Also, is there anything else I should measure in order to help quantify a pickup's tone?

Thanks.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

3. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

The point is that a pickup is not an inductor thus inductance varies with frequency.
    I guess measuring It at 1kHz is representative enought.

4. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Here's my guide http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7723/measuring-electrical-properties-guitar-pickups

Im not familiar with the Fluke 87, but it would need to allow inductance testing at 100Hz, give or take, and simulate a series RLC circuit. Meters like the DE-5000 can do it and are fairly cheap.

If you know the inductance you can determine the peak freq to a close by making some safe assumptions about the capacitance. If you name the type of pickup, I can probably tell you what sort of capacitance to expect from it. Since the guitar cable supplies most of the capacitance, its not necessary to be to super accurate.

PingGuo likes this.
  5. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

Thanks for the responses, guys.

And I can tell that Antigua Tele has put a little thought into this. :D That's what I was looking for.

As for pickup type, I have several PAF-ish humbuckers that I like in various six string guitars (different manufacturers, different magnets, etc., but all PAF-ish). I am trying to get a ballpark idea of what I like about these so I can find a similar 7 string pickup for my 7 string guitar. unfortunately, most 7 string pickups are overwound, have ceramic magnets, etc., plus they will have a wider bobbin, so it's a bit of a challenge.

6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Consider getting the hottest 7 string pickup you can find, then wire it in parallel. If it has a ceramic magnet, just lower the pickup a little to approximate a pickup with a weaker magnet.

rigatele likes this.
  7. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

That's an idea I hadn't thought of, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I also traded a couple of stock Ibanez 7 string pickups for a set of set of Dimarzio PAF 7 pickups (which have ceramic magnets for some reason), so I'll check those out, too. If I can't get them to work, I may try swapping magnets around to see how that changes things up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.