how can i make my strat sound more like my tele

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang King, Sep 19, 2010.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I play both Strats and Teles because each one excels at certain things more than the other.I like the regular Strat bridge pickup for certain things but I agree that in certain contexts it can sound thin and bright compared to a Tele's bridge pickup.I find wiring the bridge pickup on a Strat to the lower tone control is the easiest thing to do to make it more usable.I sometimes dial it back to 7 or 8 to knock off a bit of treble and it smooths out the tone to make it a bit more versatile.Another thing to consider is that a typical Tele bridge pickup is hotter(commonly around 7.5k range)compared to a Strat one(commonly at 6k).I did install a Texas Special bridge pickup in one of my Strats which is wound hotter(I think around the 7.5k range).So along with the slightly hotter output and rolling back the treble down to 7 or 8 I get a thicker,ballsier tone.It doesn't nail the Tele tone but it works better for stuff I'd play typically on a Tele(Rolling Stones style guitar licks actually sound pretty good now on that Strat).Ultimately I don't think you can ever nail the Tele tone on a Strat(and vice versa)because the way they are designed...strum a Tele acoustically and then a Strat and the sonic differences are already apparent even unplugged.Even acoustically the Strat typically sounds thinner and quackier compared to the Tele's thicker and ballsier twang).

RoyBGood likes this.
  2. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I bought my Tele exactly because it felt, sounded and played totally different than any of my other guitars. Variety; that's what I look for.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had a hard time with Strats. Most of my heroes played Strats, but I couldn't find one that I liked in all positions( liked 2 & 4 only). So I replaced the singles with double coils.
    I have heard Strats with Tele bridge pup that sounded great and I've heard Strats with P90's that I like alot.

4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

You say you already have 3 Teles, so what's the point getting another one with the strat shape?
    I prefer the tele too, but if I play my strat I want it to sound like a strat – including the thinner – or clearer, crisper – bridge pickup.
    You say it sounds weak and lacking when switching from the tele. Did you try to adjust your amp settings? Maybe it just has less output then the tele and with a bit more volume and eq-tweaking you like it for what it is?

5. moose

moose TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have the Twangbanger and they are not bad! I'm happy with it

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

You could do like they did on my Albert Lee.
    Add a steel base plate to the bridge pickup.

cboutilier likes this.
  7. sammy axe

sammy axe Tele-Meister

They are such different animals. You could sell the Strat and buy a 3 pickup Nashville Tele. You get that mean Tele tone and some nice in-between positions.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Sold my Tele, so when I need a Tele sound for a gig or recording, I carefully dial-in a good compressor ... not to chicken-pickin levels, but enough to thicken the sound and add a bit of sustain. Also, tweaking your truss rod just a bit for a little extra relief can help. I have a Strat set up that way, and with a thoughtfully adjusted compressor, it sounds pretty much like a Tele to me.

9. Ser_Bob

Ser_Bob TDPRI Member

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Wear a hat and boots? lol....

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Put your Strat neck on a stock loaded Tele body, that will make it sound just like a Telecaster

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I dislike the bright, thin strat bridge tone myself. A no-load tone pot just makes it worse.

I get the fatter, meatier broadcaster tone I like with an SD quarter pounder in one and get a great tele 'soundalike' with a split SD Hot Rails in another Strat style.

13. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

016.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.