How can I get this custom body?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by canyongargon, Dec 16, 2010.

1. canyongargon

canyongargon TDPRI Member

Hey all. I really want to build a couple of custom Teles for playing live (some day, when I have the money), but I'm not sure how to get what I want done.

Basically, I want a solid body Tele with tummy/forearm cuts, but I want it to have the '72 Thinline top control and pickup routing.

I called Warmoth and asked if they could do it for me "off the menu" but they said their routers weren't set up to do that, so no dice there.

I have to get this fully built and finished, as I don't have any woodworking tools or experience at all, nor am I confident in my abilities to finish a body without screwing it up. Can anyone think of any place or anyone that could build me such a Tele body?

2. AndreasF

AndreasF TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

3. canyongargon

The page you linked me to is for a hollow Thinline body. What I asked about in my above post was a solid body Tele with the 72 Thinline top routing. Is that possible according to their site?

4. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

It seems to me that maybe you didn't explain yourself well to Warmoth. Looks like all you're asking for is two large-size HB pickup routs, a Strat-style fixed bridge, and an angled control cavity. They have all that on their 72 Thinline body. Maybe you just need to ask for their standard 72 Thinline routs (except no f-hole) on a standard solid Tele body, along with tummy and forearm cuts.

5. canyongargon

That's exactly what I asked them, though. I said to the nice chap on the phone, "Can you guys do a solid body Tele with the 72 Thinline pickup and control routing?" He went up to the shop to ask the guys running the routers if they could do it, and he came back and informed me that the routers weren't set up to do such a thing.

6. NYbill

NYbill Tele-Meister

I imagine they use CNC routers. So, it would be a matter of changing the programming and eliminate the F hole on the '72 thinline code. I doubt they want to pay someone to work up the new code and push it up to the machine for a one off.

7. canyongargon

That's what I figured, yeah. I can't fault them for that of course, they're running a business, haha.

Do you guys think I'd have to look into an independent custom builder or something to get what I'm after, then, if none of the big parts houses can do it?

Unless I could get Warmoth to just do a Tele routed for two 'buckers, and with no control rout at all, and then find somebody to do the control rout for me. Something tells me doing that big of a rout on a totally finished body might be more pain than it's worth though...

8. turmite

turmite Tele-Meister

Is this what you are looking for except less the f hole and you want it solid? What kind of wood? Are you going to paint or clear finish? Lots of questions, but it might help to find you a body.

Mike

[​IMG]

9. canyongargon

Mike, yes, basically I am looking for that pickup and control routing on a solid body with forearm/tummy cuts. Wood-wise, probably I'll want Alder or Swamp Ash. I'm not confident in my own abilities to do finishing as I've never tried, so I'd really like to try and find somewhere that can do it totally finshed for me.

10. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

Try this:
    Tomahawk Guitars. I don't know if he'll apply finish for you, but he'll probably make it with the routs and contours you want.

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd volunteer, but I am so back logged now, Ill be lucky to finish my current projects. I still haven't finished my Girlfriends christmas present.

12. canyongargon

So, question. Hypothetically, if I could get Warmoth to make me a solid body Tele, routed for two humbuckers with the contours I want and finished but with no control cavity, how ridiculous of an undertaking would it be to get a hold of someone who knows their way around a router and rout the control cavity out after-the-fact? Bad idea to do such a big rout on an already-finished body?

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

What you are asking for is not impossible. It is called a custom body. Half of the people on this board could make it. A bunch could make it and spray it with professional results. It would be a complete waste of cash to buy a finished body and then start hacking away at it for the kinds of things you are looking for. You just need to find a shop that will take the job. If you are near a big city, there should be at least a few reputable places that will do it. Ask to see their previous work so that you don't end up with some guy who made two bodies before he calls himself a guitar shop. It seems every small town has some guy who " builds" guitars and throws the word " guitars" , "custom", or similar into his website or ebay name. Years ago, I used to belong to a group called ASIA, an association of instrument builders, There used to be a list of shops by state and their instrument specialties. I don't know if that still exists, but you might want to search out a list like that and start making some contacts. Be aware that quality custom work isn't cheap.

14. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

Try asking USA Custom Guitars. They are far easier to work with than the people you first called.

15. AndreasF

AndreasF TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Spend more 20 seconds on their site: http://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/?page_id=16&shopp_category=12. You can always contact them, I have very good experience with their customer support.

16. Bella_Donna

Bella_Donna NEW MEMBER!

Turmite, where was the kit you posted the picture of from?

17. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

18. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

I don't understand why Warmoth couldn't do that. If they can put Strat contours on a Tele body, and they can route the controls like that on a Tele body--both of which they can do--why can't they do both? Aren't they supposed to be the kings of custom?

19. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

I suspect they just load blanks onto the cnc table and hit "Go". The cnc then runs a batch of files in order continuously until finished with no room for operator intervention. Just a guess.

20. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

The kings of custom? You're talking to 'em. :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.