1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how bout some memory-man noise...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by spyder, Jan 25, 2004.

1. spyder

spyder RIP

Ho...any of you dudes use one??...like it??...reliable??...can chorus and delay be used at the same time?...how about the stereo version?....any good?...will it hold up on a stage full of chords, duct tape and half full beer bottles??....thanks, spyder

2. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

memory man - reliable, noisy, satisfying

i've had mine since the late 70s. it just keeps on ticking. if the room is quiet, then you can hear background noise from the mm. but normally rooms aren't quiet and it's not problem. the tone of the unit itself is a bit, hmmm, rough. this is not a smooth chorus. and the delay is far from the cleanest. maybe it's an acquired taste, but i like how the unit colors the sound. i usually leave on chorus setting and on all the time when i'm not plugged direct.

but, no, you have to choose between delay and chorus and it's a dorky slider switch on the back of the unit, so you can't really switch from one to another while playing.

i have stereo unit but have only played thru two amps a couple of times. when i did though, the mm (chorus setting) did a great job of adding space to the sound. it was fun.

3. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

Well

The chorus is cheesy & the delays are noisy & lo-fi, but I keep on using it. There's something about it...

Great box!

4. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

MM or Deluxe MM?

In the original MM you had to choose between chorus and delay, but in the newer Deluxe MM you can have chorus and delay together (or vibrato and delay). You can't have chorus and vibrato together though. I think the Deluxe MM and the Stereo MM are the only ones currently offered by EH, so unless you have a line on an old MM, those will be your choices. I have a Deluxe MM. I had mine modded for true bybass (because otherwise the volume knob works even when the pedal is off - very annoying). Frankly, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I seldom use it - it seems a little too warm, almost woolly. Maybe I'm not really a delay kind of guy.

5. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Besides the noise, I think it's a really lush, grand, musical sounding delay. A digital box will give you a cleaner, more exact delay, but almost sterile and mathematical, whereas a MM will round off the tone and make it more...uh....organic? Add a little mix of chorus into the delay tail, and it makes for some nice haunting echoes.

You may or may not be too into them, but there is a lot of Memory Man all over U2's earlier records.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.