How Big of a Sound Difference Can a Pick Make

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cysquatch, Feb 9, 2020.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve found a very very nice compromise in everything with the V-Picks Emerald Medium Point Lite.

“Lite” is misleading if you’re used to a standard light pick. In the V-Pick world, “Litw” means its somewhat less dense than granite.

jk, but somewhat true. It’s got a similar thickness to a Jazz III but with a different grip and angle. I love the Jazz III, btw. Just like this Emerald a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:41 AM
  2. Bandboy

Bandboy TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Been playing Clayton standard shape for over a decade. Nice feel and they never split or break.

3. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jazz III XL in Tortex for me (.88mm, the green ones). They just feel right in my hand, and on the strings. I used to use the large teardrop, but then discovered the point on the Jazz III and that was all she wrote...

For acoustic and in the studio, I'm more liable to try different things-my wife loves the gold Herco .60mm nylons, and on a strumming part I'll use them-to my ears, the guitar gets more zing and sounds brighter, less muddy (and easier to mix!) Others that hang around are the John Petrucci picks (nice but too thick most of the time) standard Tortex and Fender picks, red nylon Jazz IIIs, and Fred Kelly thumbpicks (my wife prefers the speedpicks, I prefer the slickpicks). I even have a couple metal picks, but I don't really care for those...

Franc Robert

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Picks and strings... cheapest improvements in tone ... GAS on a low budget. . .

old soul likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love the feeling of good old celluloid. I keep coming back to those - heavy .96mm to 1.2mm

They are bright enough and have enough attack for me when I dig in, but I can mellow right out depending on how I pick. I hybrid pick a lot too. Celluloid is great for pinch harmonics, as well.

6. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

In a diehard orange tortex fan of long time, and for everyday play they rule. For some strumming stuff I like lighter and for some surfy stuff I like a fat wooden pick for. It all depends on you and your music

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

7. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Picks make a difference for sure.

Sometimes for me it's about the way the pick feels on the strings.

Someplace I have a copper pick that was given to me................. now that is bright with an edge.

My brother in law uses thin picks on his acoustic and they make so much noise it's distracting.

John Fogarty once said, " You want to change the sound of your guitar change your pick".

He was right.

Gary

8. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

Albert Collins got great sound using his thumb. Same with Toy Caldwell, and a lot of other folks who never used a pick.

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I never knew a pick mattered other than the thickness affecting the way it feels. I always used white fender heavy's until I ordered some parts off ebay and the seller included a couple of their branded picks as an extra. They were perfect thickness and they actually sounded better. A lot better. Much brighter snappier. They sounded more alive. I messaged the seller to compliment their picks and on my next order of tele knobs or something like that, they included a huge pile of those picks! This was a couple years ago and I still have a good stock of those picks. They're still all I use. When I start running low I'll have to send them another message to let them know I've been using them all this time. Maybe they'll send more. I'd be happy to buy them but they said they don't actually sell them, they just use them to advertise their store.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. telebanjo

telebanjo TDPRI Member

For me, it’s Delrin Fred Kelly for thumbpick and blue chip 50 for everything else. Never has a “wear” edge on it and I angle the pick as needed so there’s no pick click and the speed of coming off the string is amazing. I’ve tried about everything and those are what works for me.

11. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Here are the two I use most. I love the Ultex 1.14mm. Feels like mi old Fender tortoise picks but stronger. I have a bunch of the John Petrucci picks as well as Dunlop Nylon 1.00mm. Good picks, but I don't like their attack as much. I also use the Dunlop white Medium thumbpicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I'm not picky. Whatever comes to hand.

90% of the time these are closest

20200214_132852.jpg

strat54 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Funny I just opened a Jazz III sampler pack and the Ultex is the one I'm having trouble bonding with. It sound thin compared to the Tortex or the classic red ones. Of course it's a 2.0mm so maybe it's just that.

14. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Wow, 2mm is thick. I have a couple of Dunlop Stubby Jazz picks. They're 3.00mm. I used to drop them all the time. Like trying to pick with a marble.

15. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's this one. Maybe It's the texture. I have one of the 0.73's around here somewhere, but of course I can't find it to compare.
    [​IMG]

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

No, you're not crazy
    Picks definitely affect the tone
    I alternate between medium and heavy depending on the tonal considerations
    I would encourage you to trust your ears and your finer instincts, as you progress on your musical journey
    As you progress, your awareness of the finer points will increase, and you will notice things you hadn't noticed before
    Enjoy the journey my friend .......

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's not a "bass" pick.
    It's a large triangle pick used by countless guitarists that want a better grip and want to save money (one side goes you use the other)

ben smith likes this.
  18. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I like the full sized ones under 1.0... probably use the.80 the most.

ale.istotle likes this.
  19. oleblacktele

oleblacktele TDPRI Member

I discovered the Dunlop True Tone picks a few years ago and was astonished at the tonal difference. Was using Ultex prior to that. I use the full size 1.0 and play with the rounded corners. A nice bonus it has grip texturing in the center. Love them! I play mostly jazz, blues and fusion.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

I prefer plain old Fender Mediums in white, but use a variety to get different tones.

Bill Crook told me a story years ago about the late Billy Joe Walker Jr, playing with Michael Nesmith. Said that he was backstage listening to the show, and thought Walker had a bunch of different guitars. When he went to chat with him after the show, Billy showed him that he only had an Ovation steel-string, and a bunch of different picks to get different sounds. He even had a felt pick to help him get a more nylon-string tone for certain songs.

Picks have a HUGE effect on tone, and playability.

Zac

gwjensen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.