1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How badly will iTunes screw up my music library?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My new (old) car doesn't handle music on a thumb drive very well, so I'm looking for a better way to play MP3s in the car. Mrs_S has a nice iPod touch she does use any more, so that's plenty of storage. Problem is, I'm a Windows guy. All of my music is MP3s in Media Player on Windows 10. About half of it was downloaded from Amazon, and half ripped from CDs I own. We're talking about 320 albums at this point.

If I load iTunes on my Windows laptop, will it let me transfer my music to the iPod? Can I get away without an Apple ID? I have no desire to purchase music from Apple or store my music in their cloud. I just want to copy my music onto the iPod and play it in the car over Bluetooth.

I realize this does not fit in with Apple's plans for generating revenue and dominating the world, so therefore I expect problems. How badly will Apple screw up my existing library?

Should I use an old, disused Kindle Fire instead? It seems I end up with everyone's cast off media devices when they move on to something newer/bigger/cooler/shinier/trendier.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Flip G likes this.
  2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

if you have to ask, you shouldn't play with that fire.

Flip G, SRHmusic, Doctorx33 and 5 others like this.
  3. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Turns out Mrs_S also has a burner Moto G6 phone that she isn't using. Looks like Android might be the better choice.

We sure have a crapload of expensive unused electronics around this house.

4. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know that it will screw up your library, necessarily. When Google Play died and I didn't want to go to YouTube and downloaded my whole library it was a total train wreck. I tunes was the easiest way to get all the songs back into folders.

But that's the only thing I would ever actually do with iTunes. It's a pain to use, and at one point I think they changed where all the buttons were on a weekly basis.

If it's a one and done operation, you'll be ok. If you're asking whether you should take the plunge into I tunes and I devices, I would say hayle no. You'll be way happier using an Android even if you have to buy it

5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

There's not much downside to just trying it. The good news is, your actual library (the one you have now) will remain intact and untouched. Itunes will just read from it and COPY all the mp3s to its own library location.

Whether you like what it does with the copies, only one way to find out.

Do you like how the ipod touch presents and plays your wife's music? (I'm not asking if you like the music.) That's how it will present and play yours too.

scook and Cyberi4n like this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

IIRC you have to have an Apple ID but you DONT have to subscribe to Apple Music NOR do you have to store your library in the cloud.

as others have said though, make sure you back up your library in any case. Oh and iTunes does NOT do Meta Tags very well

8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

EXACTLY this.

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I live by Windows media player and use it to sync to the phone albums I like.

400+ Cd's all burned using lossless.

10. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

All my music is kept on a separate hard drive, approx 3000 albums, that way no Microsoft or Apple media player or cloud based system f#cks with it, only reads it. Learnt that the hard way!

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Does the car play mp3 CDs? you can cram loads on a disc like that. Any steering wheel transport controls will work with it too then.

12. Robert Alger

Robert Alger TDPRI Member

I quit iTunes when Apple decided to replace it with Apple Music.

Now I listen with a Surfans player, and manage the audio files with Swinsian. Unlimited storage with mini SD cards and no Apple trying to control everything. ;)

beninma likes this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know I lost my whole music library one time during a sync. iTunes was always borderline incomprehensible to me. Way more difficult than Windows media player or any other file management system. Happy to be rid of it, once I moved on to streaming (Amazon).

In the pre-historic days before iTunes took over the world, music files were actual files, which lived in folders, which you could drag and drop like any other document file. iTunes seemed to put that all behind a curtain, and did not interact well at all with any non-Apple software. It was eternally frustrating. Glad those days are over.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The Apple and Google and Microsoft plus others comments and attitudes can be inane. The platforms all work. You have to follow the instructions.

Being aware that backing up isn't just for truck drivers, none of those platforms have caused me any grief. Regardless of tech platform, I knew where the files were before and after any changes.

Being aware of the law and sensitive to artists and compliance, it's also been easy because Android or Apple or a Windows system, I've only copied or synchronized legal subscriptions or purchases.

It's also worth deciding if you want to swim against a strong current. The vehicles people have been buying for a while and will buy in the future mostly have an Apple and Android dashboard now. Older vehicles often have a little better support for an iPod or iPhone because of market share.

Regardless of platform, I keep playlists and/or folders that represent purchases that are legal but not necessarily something from my Amazon, Google or Apple purchases.

Better than all that is I like music, news, radio and to support quality so finally got a subscription that has about everything where and when I want it. I sync some to my phone. I'm not going to fight against how this works for most people.

Wallaby likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

How doesn't it handle the thumb drive well?

Off and on, I've been working on a Windows app to help organize playlists on USB drives for car players, mainly for my own convenience. The main problem I've found with the players is that they have to be 'tricked' into playing tracks in your desired order. The good thing about the car players is that controlling them is easier and more legal when driving than using a handheld device.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think you are good as long as you don't have any MP4 or other apple format and
    are not using the cloud.
    Mp3 are good to go.

I use my wifes big ipod and I have some small ones I use with itunes.

17. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

iTunes helpfully renames and re-arranges all my files and folders every few months. Talk about not handling the meta-data -- I once went thru and re-categorized all the genres. It swapped 'em back in a couple months. Routinely re-names anything not purchased from Apple to "unknown" and moves. Not a fan.

18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There are plenty of nice aftermarket car stereo options that handle flash drives quite well and typically have better amps than the factory installed stereos. And I'm not talking about expensive ones - the one I had put in my Trailblazer cost me roughly $200 installed.

19. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's not only about legal purchases though. I have a LOT of digital music that I created from my legally purchased vinyl albums. iTunes/Apple Music has not always wanted to play nice with those.

SRHmusic likes this.
  20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago, my wife bought me the little clip-on iPod as a birthday gift. iTunes made me swear off Apple products for life.

unixfish, Marc Morfei and Texicaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.