How bad was Ian? The ultimate measure.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
The latest track has it moving further to the east into the Atlantic. It's currently a TS, but it's expected to re-strengthen to a Cat 1 storm as it approaches South Carolina. Winds have quieted here a lot in the last hour or so (I'm in Clay County, just south of Jacksonville, about 45 miles from the coastline), but the rain is still steady. The storm will pass us again as it moves north, so I expect some more from the western side of it as leaves the area. My concern now is for my daughter's family in Savannah.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
If a city was nuked and a Waffle House survived the blast, it would stay open.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
If a city was nuked and a Waffle House survived the blast
...then there would be somewhere to keep all the Peavey Bandits that will survive.

On a more sombre note, I watched some of the footage of storm Ian on the news channels. I heard myself gasp on more than a few occasions, plus a few expletives with a long U-U-U-U in the middle.

We have "harsh but fair" weather in Scotland, and it can wear the psyche down a bit. It turns the spirits a bit damp and dour.

However, when I look at the North American continent and see the extremes that mother nature throws there; from fires in California, the floods after the heat in BC last year, Katrina and now Hurricane Ian (I know I'm only scratching the surface events-wise).
I'm always baffled as to how people survive it and I mean more psychologically than physically.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
All that low pressure south of here is making for some gorgeous weather in Atlanta. Not a cloud in sight.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
All that low pressure south of here is making for some gorgeous weather in Atlanta. Not a cloud in sight.
And the post-Ian weather here on the Gulf Coast of Florida has been beautiful for several days. Cooler than normal with very few clouds. This is the way it always is after a major storm passes through. Tourists who want to visit Florida might want to keep that in mind.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I believe many stay open and get funded for emergency workers.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Waffle House, like McDonalds, is eschewed by 90% of Bad Dog Nation. But at least 30% of Bad Dog Nation has darkened its door step at least once in the past 12 months when an opportunity has arisen.

Late night travel. Early morning travel. Lazy afternoon recovering from cheap malt liquor. Typical BD behavior.

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Our local "reclamation centers" (ie: "the dump") have been overwhelmed with yard waste. The county used to pick up yard waste after hurricanes (pile it next to the street and a big truck would come by, etc.). No longer. Between my neighbor and I we will have made 14 trips (they have a short-bed truck). Initially, the places would allow three trips per day...then two, now one per day. We have one load left but they're closed Wednesday...

We have a Waffle House about 1/2 mi down the road. I rarely see more than two or three cars parked there. I've never been inside. Miz Diane's mother loved the place...we would go regularly back in Alabama.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Waffle House, like McDonalds, is eschewed by 90% of Bad Dog Nation. But at least 30% of Bad Dog Nation has darkened its door step at least once in the past 12 months when an opportunity has arisen.

Late night travel. Early morning travel. Lazy afternoon recovering from cheap malt liquor. Typical BD behavior.
For what?
Do they have actual food?
Or maybe just clean rest rooms?