How bad is it to have a plastic cover OVER humbucker pickup pole screws?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 2after909, Sep 18, 2021.

1. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

Lately I’ve been trying different pickups in a jazzmaster parts guitar that I put together. I recently put in a set of Bacchus chrome covered humbuckers. The neck is a vintage PAF-ish 8k pickup and the bridge is a hot 15k Duncan JB type pickup (I guess you could say). The guitar and pickguard are routed for standard jazzmaster pickups, so to mount the humbuckers I just secured them under the jazzmaster pickup covers. Obviously, the pickup pole screws don’t line up with the holes in the pickup covers. It sounds cool to me as is, and I really can’t hear that the bridge pickup isn’t F-spaced; but I’m wondering how big of a deal it is that there’s a thin piece of plastic between the pickup pole screws and the strings. Is there a negative effect of that? Any thoughts?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn't matter one bit. Plastic has no effect on the magnetic field. Think about it this way: Fender Mustang pickups, EMGs, etc.

The only possible issue is the strings rattling against the plastic cover if you raise the pickup too high.

3. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

Got it. Thanks!

4. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

The big issue is not being able to adjust the pole pieces. But hey, if you like the sound you are getting that's great.
    If you ever wanted to I bet there are blank covers available that you could drill.

2after909 likes this.
  5. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Sometimes I wonder why we (and that includes me) find it important to be able to adjust pole pieces on traditional buckers, yet we're also fans of Firebird, Tele, rail-type and other pickups where they're not exposed or adjustable. Are we hearing with our eyes again?

dougstrum and 2after909 like this.
  6. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

I actually have some… I might end up trying it.

dougstrum likes this.
  7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I love the firebird in one of my teles; it is quite a different pickup than the mini humbucker
    in another tele of mine.
    Full size humbuckers seem to respond to pole piece adjustment as well as overall height
    adjustment.

All that being said; we're probably all subject, to some degree, of hearing something based on what
    we see:rolleyes:

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I guess my ears are not that good to notice, I've never really adjusted the poles on humbuckers , some folks are REAL picky about volume balance between strings, so I guess it's important to them.

As Peego mentioned the plastic isn't going to matter, there are some humbuckers and single coils that have solid plastic covers. The only thing is not being able to adjust the poles , and if that was a concern you could always drill holes in the covers in order to do that.

9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Removed, wrong thread.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Really bad. Probably will end up in exile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.