1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How are your retirement plans turning out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Laren, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I'm almost 70, retired 3 years ago and doing well. I live by the simple retirement slogan "Do something everyday, but you ain't gotta do it all day!" These days it's become a bit hard with a lot of stuff I like to do, or like to prepare for being postponed or cancelled...Still doing okay though.

Be nice to do some drag racing this season, Yup, I still play with cars!

2. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

The best laid plans sometimes go awry.
    In my case, I developed serious medical problems starting in my early '20s that continue to today.
    My working career has been on again/off again.
    No savings but I did work enough to qualify for SS.
    I last worked full time in 2004. I developed more medical issues and got SSDI ( SS disability) for a few years before my regular SS started.
    Now I watch my expenses and get by.
    Sign... I guess I got old but never really retired.

Mark

Tommy Biggs and Harry Styron like this.
  3. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Great. Sleep as late as I want to, do what I want, and no more all night overseas calls or constant business travel. I don't get bored and have a long list of things to do on my bucket list. I spent a considerable amount of time working out my retirement plan before pulling the plug. Live every day to the fullest now cause time is limited.

danwh72 likes this.
  4. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

34 years old, started contributing to a registered retirement savings plan three years ago as my employer matches my contributions. I’ll probably use it as a down payment on a house first but I’ll check back in with TDPRI in about 30 years and let you fine people know.

5. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Going great here.
    Wasn't completely intentional. A few calculated risks. A bit of real estate investing in what turned out to be one of the hottest markets in the country.

I am taking a course in renovation and construction but it will be to work on my own real estate empire, which is turning into one of my hobbies. Reclaimed wood to make guitars (and other woodworking projects) being part of that.

I was looking at a car lot the other day, wondering if the day will come I can get a new car... then it dawned on me I could buy a two or three cars if I wanted.

I am not yet used to this level of abundance.

Rustbucket likes this.
  6. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Retired a little over a year ago. Loved first few months. Then the lockdown and boredom set in. So I’m trying work again. We’ll see...

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

This is a good time of life. My wife and I are healthy. I work part time in my profession because I want to. I have saved probably 90% of my SS since starting it at 66.

I have had gigs this last year and 2021 looks like it is going to be a banner year.

No problems!

8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I worked different jobs over the years, including being in a busy wedding band, but mostly I was kind of a house husband since my wife got a good local government job and we had a lad to raise...so my retirement 'plans' were sort of based on her job and the house/small holding we'd built and owned outright.

6 years ago she suddenly left and the rug got pulled out from under me, big time. Found myself in my 50s on welfare and having no idea what to do. The house was to be sold and proceeds split.

But I met a new gal who soon realised I was struggling in some ways so she pushed me to see a doctor. Turns out I had pretty severe psoriatic arthritis developing which affects all of you, not just the joints...and I'm quite a ways out on the autistic spectrum, which the stress of the arthritis and getting older was making more apparent.
    (Autistic people of my generation who weren't diagnosed tended to learn to 'present' as normal and muscle thru life... thinking we were normal...or committed suicide. 50% chance of that and a life expectancy of 52, for that reason...)

So, with this new awareness and support I also discovered, with my new girl's encouragement again, that I was eligible for an invalidity pension because I'd paid enough government contributions over the years.

So now I'm 59 and we're in a cottage in the country that she bought and I helped fix up with the money I got from my old house. Not a large income...she has some money too...but we do gardening and stuff and have 2 dogs and we also have a small apartment in Virginia her mother left her that we visit when we can. I have a dozen guitars and we even have an electric car.
    So things have turned out much much better than I expected 6 years ago. Injections are keeping the arthritis under control and I'm having a simple existence ideal for the Asbergers.
    Very grateful.

9. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Great story. Stay well. I'm not close to retirement. But I'm enjoying reading this thread.

howardlo likes this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Being retired is great. But, we had planned on buying a retirement house on Kentucky Lake and have not accomplished that. We are probably being to picky. Before we sold our vacation lake house we had found a half dozen but since then none. The more time goes by the less likely it seems it will happen.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I was 65 amd would have worked for another year or two, but my last gig was so terrible that I just decided to hang it up. Any time that I decide to devote to effort is spent on my selling fine books. Otherwise, I maintain the household while my wife suffers through 70 hour work weeks. Alone, I couldn't really afford to retire. Together, we're fine.

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Retired 5 years ago, when I went to work for the state.

Harry Styron likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Silly Laren, my generation won't be able to afford to retire.

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

35 years of teaching with 6 in private school and 29 in public.
    My pension is decent. I paid off my house last year. 3 refis made the monthly payment more effective.
    I'm flush with acoustic and electric guitars, amps, pedals, cables. I'm in two electric bands and an acoustic trio.
    Putting 25% in the bank every month.
    I'm good.

P Thought likes this.
  15. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

For us my SS checks just go into savings every month, we do take just a bit of spending money out of it. We really get by just fine for normal monthly expenses on her income. Use nothing of mine except for an occasional large purchase. I have no pension, all my money is in IRAs and annuities. We don’t use any of it so it just stays in them other than now I have to take out the yearly annual minimum withdrawal which last year was waived due to COVID.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Matt Sarad likes this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Retirement plans... bwaaahahahahahaha!!! This place cracks me up!

P Thought, BobbyZ, glenlivet and 2 others like this.
  17. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Almost 47 years old. A few years ago my retirement plan finally started to take shape and seem plausible.
    The past 2 years it's really on track! With some decent decision making, we may retire much earlier than expected.
    I have to say this is mostly due to my wife's recent emergence as a serious force of nature for earning money.

joe_cpwe, Rustbucket and Telekarster like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When you're thirty four, and looking at someone seventy seven years old, you think that's OLD, you also wonder how the old fellow made it. When you're seventy seven, and looking back at thirty four, it seems like about three years ago. Time is like the toilet paper on the roll, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

One time when I was a little younger than you, I was in perfect physical condition, sitting on the tail gate of my vehicle, drinking a beer, and eating a sandwich. It seemed like I had all the time in the world. I was on my way to a great adventure, I just didn't know it yet. Well, there were a lot of great adventures along the way, it all happened in about what seems like six months or so at times. An odd thing happens as you age. No matter how long you lived at a place, looking back they all seem the same. If you lived somewhere for six months, or ten years, in the rear view they look the same, and occupy the same space. One day you are standing there with one foot hovering over the grave, and the other foot is resting on a banana peel. Plan accordingly, that day I can assure you, isn't that far away

Tommy Biggs, decibel, getbent and 5 others like this.
  19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm satisfied with our setup. If I have to reign in my monthly spending, it's not anything new to me.

I'm so grateful that things worked out for us. We weren't big earners for a significant part of our lives, but we managed to work everything out for our retirement.

20. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

If you are looking for retirement advice from a bunch of randos on a guitar message board, you are either in a world of hurt or you are mocking us.

P Thought, BobbyZ, SRHmusic and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.