1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How are your retirement plans turning out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Laren, Mar 5, 2021.

1. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

State pension here (at 67) is around £700 pcm
    A couple of former employers schemes due to pay at 65
    Nice little part-time job, grandchildren, fishing, cars, bikes and a few gigs
    Happy days

Rustbucket and ozcal like this.
  2. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Land, a good truck, and an Airstream. Check. That’s my American set up.
    Was hoping my condo in the Philippines would be a second retirement location. It goes through rounds of instability and there’s a lot of political tension, but I love the place (and the people).

Jhengsman and Rustbucket like this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Retired 1/2012 from teaching, teacher retirement is a GOOD thing, little SS added in. Mama retired 8/18, she has decent amount of SS, and a little teacher retirement. Put them all together, we ain't rich, but getting by nicely, despite my losing 2/3 of my gigging income last year. Not much gigging this year, but completed vaccination course is going to open things up a little bit. I DO like not having to get up at 5am, unless I want to. All in all, pretty good.

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I do believe the term
    “Bought the Farm” refers to when a Farmer works until he dies.
    The widow then uses the insurance money to pay off a lifetime of incurred debt mortgaged against the place up at the bank.
    It’s a plan.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It sneaks up on you faster than you can imagine. I've related my story about when I arrived at the conclusion I'd better do some planning and quick. It worked out for me, but I'd advise anyone that thinks they might even make it to retirement to be prepared. I had some skill, and a lot of luck getting my life together, I've been retired ten years now, and I've enjoyed quite a lot of the time I've had. Hasn't been perfect, but it's nothing four or five million dollars wouldn't go towards really improving my situation, but I'm keeping on keeping on. I hope it works out until I can pull that sand up over my noggin.

P Thought and Telekarster like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

'been Prepping for Retirement for a couple of years now...

[​IMG]

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gear aquisition syndrome! ( I could open my own store almost) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

no telecaster ,get back to work ......now!

9. staxman

staxman Tele-Afflicted

Been retired for about 2&1/2 years now and loving it. Travel has been limited the past year, but getting ready to take a cross country road trip in April. Also, I've been more fully pursuing my long time interest in stock investing since I have more time now and I think I missed my calling. Finally, I have more time for family and music--Life is Good!

Tommy Biggs and Rustbucket like this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I retired in ‘14. I briefly did some work for my former employer in ‘16. I could have continued but I realized that I had enough of working. I should have stayed retired.
    I haven’t been bored.
    I have spent a lot of time with my grandchildren.
    I have spent a lot time playing guitar and home recording.
    I volunteer teaching in a senior adult education program. I teach folks how to get the most out of their iPhones and iPads so they can be like the cool kids. I also occasionally teach a class for new Mac users who escaped the tyranny of Microsoft.
    I haven’t traveled as much as I had planned but that partly my fault and partly to some medical related stuff.
    I am happy being fat and lazy.
    If I was a little younger and had some backing I’d run for office.

11. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

The best thing I did for retirement is marry a younger woman who has a good career.

MrCairo46, sax4blues, jkingma and 2 others like this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I've been retired since Jan 1. Plans? I want to travel. Outside of NY. NJ doesn't count. It's NY with a worse accent. I want to go back to Maui and Kauai. I need another European vacation, Scandinavia this time. Oslo, maybe Helsinki. My wife and I have been vaccinated but there are a lot of irresponsible people out there.

OK. The good.
    • Every day is Saturday.
    • I don't miss setting an alarm.
    • I put enough aside to live better than I did while working.
    • My health is holding.
    • I'm working on projects around the house.
    • I've gotten better on guitar without increasing my playing time. I think having less stresss has a lot to do with that.
    The not so good.
    • I got a good severance package. My wife has decided she wants to live the HGTV lifestyle.
    • My wife yells a lot. It didn't bother me when I was out of the house 50 or 60 hours a week. I could ignore it. Now I wish I never got hearing aids. I've stopped wearing them.
    • I need to get out, just not around. I really need that vacation.
    Plans
    • Vacations as soon as possible.
    • I need to get fit. I'll start with my bicycle as soon as it warms up. I won't have to wait for weekends. It's the weekend every day.
    • My dog likes to walk. I like trails. I'll check with the vet about whether there is anything safe he can give her. I don't want fleas and ticks in the house.
    • New car. My lease is up at the end of April. I want to downsize to a smaller BMW. It's nice not to have to worry about things like that in retirement.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  13. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister

I was in the planning stages, then work made me an offer, or they said you can take what's behind door #2.
    The trick is to pick up some sort of routine at first. After working for 45 or so years it's odd to find yourself with not having anything to do.
    My intention was to find a part time job to get out of the house. Covid arrived and I felt that there were a lot more people needing that job than I did.

So we are into a year of stay-cation retirement mode, but the RV is ready to roll, got a bunch of really good bourbon, bumper crop this year ;).
    The weather is warming up, parks are re-opening, fishing license in hand, it looks like we are going to start to enjoy us some retirement.

Rustbucket likes this.
  14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Been retired for coming up on 8 years now. Financially secure, play and write music every day, eat healthy, exercise regularly and have nine felines and a wife of 48 years to enrich my life. Unquestionably the best and healthiest time of my life, for which I did absolutely nothing to deserve.

15. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

I retired in 1996 when I was 46. Being overconfident and optimistic I always planned to retire early but this exceeded my expectations. Since then I have spent a lot of time windsurfing in the surf north of Santa Cruz, CA then kitesurfing in the same area. Then I got into flying remote control airplanes. Then I got into photography. Then I got into mt biking. All along I have been snow skiing most weekdays during the winter seasons.

Around 1998 I got bored playing my two acoustic guitars and I started playing video games instead. In 2015 I got a wild hair to play electric guitar and now I play daily and love it and I still play video games and I snow ski and mt bike a lot. I don't have any expensive habbits so my money continues to grow faster than I spend it. Life's been good to me so far but I can't play guitar like Joe Walsh.

decibel, Rustbucket and t-ray like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Retired in '96. Medical insurance started to go through the roof around 2000, so gotta admit, the ACA saved my bacon.:) Otherwise super smooth sailing. Of course, free electricity, free water, almost free heating fuel, almost free meat and fish, plus no sales tax has helped me bank quite a bit for the long run.:cool:

Edit: just posted after @DugT . We must have a lot in common.

Rustbucket likes this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Retired last year, and just bringing a little bit extra in at a part time job. Seeing my family every day helps a lot too. Very happy thanks.

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I had no real plans but when the economy tanked I was out of work, I collected my 99 weeks of unemployment money then collected my retirement. Did a few side jobs (I have a contractors licenses) I also helped a friend in his cabinet shop for a few years part time. What's interesting I seem to have less time than when I was working always something need to be done, I just don't get board I start the day with a trip to the GYM I just find stuff to do. I really like being retired. My wife wants to work for one more year and 4 months then just today she found out when she retires she can work 20 hours a week keep all her benefits. Yeah I have to say I really enjoy being retired, everyday is Friday.

P Thought likes this.
  19. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Semi-retired. Working three days pays for golf, beer, and oh yeah, Z Wreck Jr & Les Paul GoldTop 50’s. So I’m ok. At 66 I’ll probably stop altogether.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in my early 60's and I'll probably be like my Dad and his Dad, retire around 78 or so, if I can. Even after they officially retired, they kept doing what they enjoyed even though it was at a slower pace. I think working when you have a passion and purpose keeps you going while sitting around doing nothing causes you to deteriorate. But, if you aren't enjoying your profession, then you need to find something that gives you that reason.

Controller, Jimy, t-ray and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.