How are you getting your favorite Tone at the moment?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I could work with that rig. Good call.

Bowpickins likes this.
  2. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

It's surprising what good results can be found in a recording situation using inexpensive tools.

Live, if I can actually hear myself over the horns I'm happy....

3. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

Main sound is the 2nd of the 4 positions on the Baja tele (towards the neck) into an AX8 set to the"EJ Clean" sound (bit of chorus and delay) into my Mark IV clean channel. Fantastic sound

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Today, the planets aligned. I'm in the midst of an ankylosing spondylitis flare up, and yes, it hurts just as much as getting your head around the pronunciation does. Movement hurts, but I can 12 bar, just not go up and down the neck much. I'm also in the midst of yet another Pops Staples kick. I heartily recommend studying how Pops plays. My being forced to make the most of limited left arm movement focussed the mind somewhat.

CV 50's --> Tremolo --> JCA20H --> 2x10" ( with an attenuator for domestic harmony )

Nothing else. The amp set with a little crisp on the pre-amp, and a little compression on the power stage. So close. Add in a subtle amount, and I mean subtle, of reverb, not my usual gobbets of surf pastiche, and at last, there's the Pops sound.

CV 50's --> Tremolo --> Spring King --> JCA20H --> 2x10" ( still with an attenuator for domestic harmony )

The Spring King has a very short tray, so Danelectro added a fast repeat to the front end of it. Normally, it irritates me, but today, the pulse of the tremolo and the shimmer of the reverb with the amp on the verge of dirt got me there. Heaven. Pops has fascinated me for years. Today, I felt I honoured him.

To draw a parallel, Colin Chapman explained the Lotus philosophy with 'Simplify and add lightness'

One tone, and work it until it complies.

Beaubien66 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford TDPRI Member

Tele neck pup tone around 2-3/10 > CompROSSor > PRRI

I like it warm and fat

For leads TS for some sweetness MVIMG_20190910_124714.jpg

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Bad Monkey set to a very mild mid boost, light gain - goose with an 8 band EQ pedal with an upper mid/treble boost when the feeling is right. Add Telecaster and a clean Fender solid state amp. Cheap and cheerful, great sound.

kevsonic and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Any of my Teles -> Keeley Fuzz Head set rather clean -> Normal channel of a '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Fender Vintera 60s Tele + Princeton Reverb.
    Clean or with Boss Chorus CE2, Boss Blues driver, Fuzz... Drum beat : Garage Band.

I did a short track before I got time to Set up the guitar. Slightly off intonation... so I did something in the manner of Roger and the Gypsies (Pass the hatchet) :) :))

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/678903522?secret_token=s-tCRq0&color=#ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    jaycoyoyo, heffus, 4pickupguy and 2 others like this.
  10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Guitar(Jackson Soloist/Dean V)>Mooer Yellow Comp>Donner Boost Killer>Donner Yellow Fall(effects loop)>Randall Diavlo 5W 1x12 gain at noon...adjust guitar volume as needed. Not including the guitars, this is an amazing sub $500 set up. Honestly the best tone I've had in years.

Comp almost always on just a tiny touch above unity...ride the guitar volume...stomp on the boost for more gain and a bit of bass cut to tighten it. Delay always on with relatively short delay and just a few repeats. Cheap and delicious!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

With this (Ibanez Artcore AR75 with some specifications):
    WP_20150821_16_28_50_Smart.jpg

This (Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary):
    P1050120.JPG

And this (unchanged since 1 year):
    September2018.jpg

Best tone I ever had since starting somewhere in the 80s.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I have two right now
    Es 335 straight into my Swart AST. That guitar has throbak pups in it that sing so sweetly, when the amp is turned up it's instant feedback on any note

Second is my custom shop 51 Nocaster straight into a Swart 6v6se cranked.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

My gear changes over the years, but my favorite tone(s) have not.... I accomplish them the same way, given just a few basic items.

In sequence...
    • Telecaster... most often the bridge pickup
    • TS style overdrive (kicked in for big solos)
    • Soft overdrive
    • Always On Compressor... gently applied
    • Tremolo
    • Delay (sometimes set to slap, sometimes set to longer setting or tap)
    • Normal Channel of a Blackface Fender
    The compressor location often baffles people. IMO... it's logical. My guitar hits the soft overdrive before the compressor... this allows me to get more dynamics from the dirt - then just smooth it out with the comp. When I don't use the overdrive my guitar hits the comp first for a more traditional country snap. The TS is only used for big solo's... always in conjunction with my soft overdrive.

I don't care if I'm given a traditional pedal board, a low cost Multi-fx, or a high end Helix/Kemper/Fractal.... my primary chain never deviates.. and I always get my favorite tones.

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

LPJ Dude here ( surely I posted here before) SO much you can do with the volume knob and some OD. Practice last night was fuzz (v1 Dano Cool Cat) reverb and the volume knob . Pro Jr IV just keeps sounding better every jam.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Totally agree! Comp has always worked better for me after drives for the reason you stated.

codamedia likes this.
  16. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

Pretty sweet right now is P90 SG into Quilter Overdrive 200 with some mid 90's Ibanez delay pedal in the FX loop, just a little slapback delay. It all comes out of a 1x12.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Logan t-style with Keystones (or ‘65 Danelectro Convertible, or Godin 5th Ave with ‘50s DeArmond Guitar Mike pickup) into Roland Funny Cat (Soft Distortion Sustainer side only), then Bad Monkey with no gain, for clean boost, then ‘70s Bad Stone used manually for voicing, then a Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, into a Micro Terror driving the 6” speaker of a ‘60s Harmony amp.

Don’t judge me.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Finally achieved a great P&W guitar tone that has eluded me for a while.

Squier Classic Vibes Tele - bridge position, middle for some arpeggios

Vox Ac10 set to the edge of breakup, Snouse BB2 as an always on light overdrive. Use my Caline Pure Sky to boost it for a medium OD, then a Rat for a heavy OD.

Nemesis Delay set to tape (dotted eight most of the time of course). Then a HOF2 for reverb (Usually use the Church setting but recently switched to Plate and am loving it so far)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of Plate reverb. It's my go-to for clean tones. Otherwise maybe a little slap back delay if I'm going for a Rockabilly vibe. For overdriven sounds I just prefer them dry. Sounds like you have a nice rig there. I would love to get my hands on a AC-10!

dombar335 likes this.
  20. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Fernandes ST-50 Strat -> Suhr Rufus Reloaded Fuzz pedal -> Peavey JD30-T amp on either with clean or dirty channel with the boost engaged. Turn the amp up to 6 for a smile from ear to ear.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.