How are you getting your favorite Tone at the moment?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 30, 2019.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've currently got 5 Tele or Tele-like guitars, and 2 Esquire-like guitars. 3 of the Teles and one of the Esquires see the most amount of play.

I'm also using a shortboard more than my big board. It has a tuner, my scratchbuilt Rat that I've had for ages, a mini trem (Trelicopter, I think), Donner Yellow Fall delay, and TC Elec HOF 2. It's powered by a One Spot, and is mostly quiet, except for some noise (in bypass) from the Trelicopter, but only if the amp is more overdriven.

I'm mainly splitting amp time between a recently acquired Katana 50 and an even more recently acquired Vox MV50 Boutique. I only really use the Katana either set to clean or crunch, and toggle between the two with an old Marshall two button footswitch. The MV50 Boutique is set to just give a smidge of OD. I've put it through about 5 or 6 different 12s, and some really seem to work better than others - current faves are an Emi Cannabis Rex and Lil Texas. The LT was also recently acquired, so it's yet to be broken in. When it is, it's possible that it could be my favorite with the MV50 Boutique.

...I got those two amps for portability, consistency, and maintenance reasons, but I'm finding that I can get really good tones out of them. It's just taking a little time to get everything adjusted for the best sonics. The Katana is an amazing package for the price, IMO. I got the Vox used (in mint condition) off reverb.com for significantly less than new, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. It's amazing how loud that tiny thing can get, and retain a fairly tight low end (with the right speaker).

The other thing that should probably be amazing but it's not (to me) - the Rat sounds fantastic thru both amps. With the Kat 50, that actually provides me with 3 "channels" - clean, crunch, and completely overdriven. IMO, it blows away the higher gain OD that's built into many of these amps. I've got a couple of tube amps that barely do heavy OD better, but both need to be stupid loud. Needless to say, they see very little use.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

American Elite Tele, Mesa Fillmore 50

IMG_1156.jpeg

Current incarnation of the pedal board:

IMG_1214.jpeg

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Tone for today:

VM 72 Thinline Telecaster into a Pro Jr IV Tweed and 1x12 cab, Cannabis Rex. Amp tone dimed, volume to taste. Using guitar volume and tone controls.

Barber Compact Gain Changer, Swollen Pickle, Archer Ikon, PJIV, CRex for brown sound.

Barbershop V2, Saucy Box and Archer Ikon PJIV and CRex, fretted and slide.

Really, had some fun today.

YMMV

kevsonic and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For the past couple of months, I’ve been chasing tonal greatness. First, I think I’ve found it on my strat. Nope, not quite right. Not quite ballsy enough. So I switch to the Firebird. Not quite right either. So I go back to my Tele. Nope.

I’ve got a gig tomorrow night. This is serious!

I’m leaning towards the Firebird for tomorrow night, played through my brand spankin’ new 112 6G2 Combo.

I’ll probably try all three out again tomorrow afternoon, just to be sure. Or as sure as I can be.

Yesterday and today, I started getting some nice overdriven tones out of the Firebird. Here’s hoping I can dial it in just a little better by tomorrow night. I’m beginning to think my OD pedal is a little too dark for my purposes. I’ve just started using a TC MojoMojo.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Strat neck pickup into twin Boss Katana Mini amps in stereo using an ABY box, and different delay times for a wide stereos delay Sounds much bigger than a single Katana Mini. Sometimes, I use a Blackstar Fly or Fender Mustang LT25 for center fill, using a Y cable from one of the outputs on the ABY box. That sounds even bigger still, but gets a little too loud for late night playing in my tiny studio apartment with thin walls and persnickety neighbors.
    Dirt provided by either the amps themselves or one of my favorite overdrive pedals- Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Caline Pure Sky, Chinese Klon Klone, Rowin Warm Drive, E-Wave Texas Drive, Tone Bakery Crème Brulee, Mooer Blues Mood, or Wampler Euphoria, depending on my mood and which of my many Strats I'm playing.

6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I like the Moollon compressor and the Lovepedal High Power Tweed twin, into the '68 CPR.
    For a more distorted tone. I'll turn on the Ibanez Tone King.
    I'm using about eight other pedals too but those are the main voices.
    I like the Catalinbead Echorec. And I've been using the dynamic delays in the Line 6 M5.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

322F1D35-BC2F-4100-8FE9-02735B6B97CF.jpeg 62C6E7E9-9DFB-4F1A-AF85-FAA398C20AE2.jpeg
    Tele Elite Middle pickup, Tone to 10; Blues Jr. IV Reverb 6, Master 6, Mid 10, Bass 6, Treble 8, FAT in

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

SQUIER Standard Tele straight into a PEAVEY Bandit, that's it.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Currently? Squier CV 50 into a Jet City JCA20H via a wah, Valv-E-Tiser overdrive[1], delay set to slapback and sometimes a little ( or waaaay too much ) reverb from a SpringKing.

Usually it's a Champ-a-like or Madamp G3 in place of the Jet City, but new to me toys must be played with.

2x10" cabinet with Jensen MOD 10-50 speakers.

Other pedals such as a compressor and a tremolo get used for fun too.

[1] It runs the valve at ~60V so not full voltage, but not starved. More 'slightly peckish and in need of a biscuit'

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Not with a pedal. My best tone lately is from my acoustic. I put a couple of rosewood bridge pins on the B and high E strings to tame the treble. Now the sound is just what I want.

But for pedals, I must say, I love the way my new Soul Food sounds. Might be my favorite overdrive yet. It would be great to try a Klon, but it'll never be in the budget.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My current rig, the guitar is the only thing that will vary:

9D70E944-E494-4FCE-AC1F-9A563A745112.jpeg

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
    Maxon OD808
    Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive
    TC HOF 2 reverb
    Blackstar Artist 15

zippofan, fatcat and RetroTeleRod like this.
  12. Bassiaman

Bassiaman TDPRI Member

Chambered hog tele (with a hog/ebony neck) with a Charlie Christian neck pickup and a SD Pearly Gates bridge pickup into an AC10C1V, aided with an XP EP booster bridging the jazz and rock that axe traverses so ably.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    RetroTeleRod and 4pickupguy like this.
  13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

This
    IMG_20190908_095303998_HDR.jpg
    2012 LP Standard with Seymour Duncans and 50's wiring.

Into:
    IMG_20190909_071024893_HDR.jpg

The Plimsoul and Keeley compressor pro. Notice the Plimsoul settings; doing a TS boostey thing.

Into the normal channel of this AC15C1:
    IMG_20190909_071150614_HDR.jpg

With the volume and master set at noon to 2 o'clock position.

Just a hint of reverb and slapback.
    The Plimsoul and Keeley compressor together do a wicked boost thing into the amp that is just about to break up on its own. Pushing over the edge.

14. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

My no 1 guutar is a stratocaster, when it sounds good it's divine but getting there is not so straight forward. I've found myself playing the tele a lot lately, it always sounds great and with the flick of a switch it goes from clean to grit.

I run them through a Quilter OD200 and a 1x12 Celestion Alnico Gold.

[​IMG][​IMG]

fatcat, RetroTeleRod and Deathray like this.
  15. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Favourite:
    Rickenbacker 330 - middle position >>
    DOD Looking Glass - set a little bright, light drive >>
    Fairfield Shallow Water - set for subtle random warbling >>
    Caroline Meteore - medium reverb with a lot of drive on the tails >>
    Red Witch Pentavocal - shallow sine wave with a bit of low end cut >>
    EQD Arrows - a bit over unity >>
    Traynor Iron Horse - set slightly dirty through some 12" Greenbacks

RetroTeleRod and fatcat like this.
  16. Daniel-R

Daniel-R TDPRI Member

Pretty simple, any guitar-Fuzz, octal fuzz for solo- Blues Jr.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  17. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thing is, after a week of playing through the treble booster and having my ears get accustomed to the sound, I had a gig Saturday, and that guitar straight into the amp's dirty channel turned up to my-goodness-that's-quite-loud sounded so good that I barely used the TB at all. I'll probably move it off my board to my pedals-in-waiting shelf. Simplification is damned empowering.

18. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Acoustic guitar, palm mute, digging in hard.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

After 55 years of playing, I've finally fallen in love with P90s. So, either my '52 gold top (modded with stop and a chopped ABR1) or my '55 L5 CES with alnico staples through a '64 Vibroverb with a Eminence redcoat 15.

richey88, RetroTeleRod and 4pickupguy like this.
  20. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

'98 Am Dlx strat stocked with Zexcoils

TU2, Black Secret, El Capistan, Sub n Up

Blues Cube Artist or YCV40

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.