1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How are these NOS Mullards?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by PeteGalaxie, Aug 24, 2020.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've pulled some Motorola's and RCA's that sound awesome. Sometimes they don't last very long before going microphonic though. Before paying that much for an old tube I'd be more likely to buy a high end Tube Amp Doctor tube or maybe a Genalex Gold Lion?

Cali Dude likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd probably buy new production if the only other option was a '70s Mullard for $75!
    Never bought TAD or Russian Genalex reissues though.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've been selling tubes as I'm probably out of music, or close anyway. Some good sales have occurred. But also things like people contacting me saying "that tube looks well worn from the color of the mica...". This particular one was on a used RCA Black Plate side getter 6L6GC. I priced it at about half what the other 3 or 4 on Ebay were. Not sure how to respond to that, as testing is higher than a new TAD etc. But we all know that testing ain't everything... Just throw it away?
    So I cant really figure out what to do with some of this stuff. I don't want to be "that guy".
    I have a a couple of Mullard 12AX7's out there too, but again. Selling tubes is a lot of screwing around. Everybody thinks everybody is trying to rip someone off.

Cali Dude, telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have boxes full of Baldwin labelled tubes. When I pull one out and try it, good things happen.

I’m there with you, schmee. According to some prices paid for UOS, I have a Small fortune here. I don’t think they are worth what any are getting, but I may be shorting myself thinking that way.

telemnemonics and schmee like this.
  5. schmee

Yeah, me too.

6. telemnemonics

This probably sums up the reason "reputable" vintage tube resellers charge so much, suggesting that old tubes are very valuable.
    The extra cost pays those sellers to take buyers abuse, whining, endless questions, returns if they don't hear angels sing and technique magically improve etc.

Old stuff has collector value when there are enough collectors shopping to drive up the prices.
    These discussions either cultivate more collectors, or discourage unreasonable expectations.

You might offer a 30 day money back guarantee but not know what bad things the buyer will do trying to kill the old tube.
    With a 30 day money back guarantee you need to charge triple the price or so.

Sad that you feel out of music, but life offers other stuff too...

Wally likes this.
  7. mikestearns

I've never used a Genalex, but saw good reviews. I put a TAD 12AU7 in my 5E3 build and it sounds good, but I don't have anything to compare it against.

8. Wally

12AU7s...I have hundreds of these...literally...12AU7s and various military substitutes...5814 for example.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

I literally never put a 12au7 in a guitar amp, not for probably 20 years anyhow.
    Were you trying to drop the gain way way down?
    Two 12ay7 would be a better approach for that?

Wally likes this.
  10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I really have enjoyed the Genalex Gold lion gold pin 12ax7s. Great clear, articulate clean sounds, and fantastic, non fizzy distortion.

11. mikestearns

I misspoke, it was a 12AY7. The wiring diagram I followed called for that in V1. I started with a 12ax7 because it was what I had on hand and it got too distorted too fast.

telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  12. schmee

Yeah, everything on Ebay is returnable, even if you say non returnable! I dont need the money bad enough to make someone keep something they dont like anyway.
    Yeah, we'll see what happens with music, but with all gigs cancelled this year and me being 72, it doesn't look good. So I'm getting rid of some of the stuff I dont use or dont really need.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. Wally

I have been known to use a 12AU7 to tame reverb. Other than that, I tend to agree with a Leo Fender and use AT/AU tubes where they work as designed...as drivers in the reverb driver position or in the phase inverter position. I might be found giving 12AU7s away. I don’t use computer tubes in guitar amps, either, even though I have hands full of them and they ‘work’.

telemnemonics and King Fan like this.
  14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I have about 10/12 Mullard and Brimar ECC83's mostly with B codes from the early 60's in a box, plus a few ECC81's and some ECC82's, all tested good on an Orange valve tester but I wouldn't want to try and sell them on that basis. Currently have a Mullard Ecc83 in V1 on my Super Champ because it sounds smoother and nicer to my ear than other 12ax7 types, almost like a 5751 but with just a bit more gain, certainly gives less top end and less spiky than the modern 12ax7's I've tried. Could cash in and sell the lot, probably would if I had a top end valve tester, in the meantime I'll keep rolling them in my amps and use the ones I like. Would I pay $150 for a pair of them? No, too many variables, might be the best valves ever, then again, might not be.

15. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

So I decided to give them a try for $140 to satisfy my curiosity. The guy has 100% positive feedback on the forum I'm buying from. I've been watching Brent Jessee's site for his "Butt Ugly" Mullard's but they've been out of stock. I'll post my finding after I run them for a bit...

:cool:

dan40 and Cali Dude like this.
  16. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Good. Let us know what you think. After having read the whole thread now, I forgot the original post. Are these the I63 type or the I61 type? I had some Mullard ECC83's of each of the preceding types for a while and used them in Fender circuits. I did not prefer the ones I had to other 12ax7's. Ends up, I'm more of an American-tonality guy when it comes to tubes, save for Tungsram 12ax7's and Mullard 12at7's. For the '60's Mullard short plate I63 type, I found the overdrive to be fantastic, but the tonality to be a bit sharp/harsh in my Deluxe Reverb.

As others have noted, dealing with established, reputable sellers is my recommendation. I especially like the selection of "butt ugly" tubes that Brent Jessee often has, where you're getting an NOS tube that has been fully tested, but at a good discount because of cosmetics. I have also bought from Mike Kropotkin at KCA. Both those guys are a pleasure to deal with. Be sure to check out Brent Jessee's ebay page, too. He sells some strong used tubes there at great prices.

Of course you can roll the dice on ebay or wherever, but you really have to know the internal construction of tubes and know what to look out for. It seems like everybody on ebay now who is selling tubes thinks they've got something _really special_, and the prices reflect that. I surfed around there for a while, just to try different types, but I don't look there much any more. Now that I know what I like, I just get them from a reputable dealer.

Wally likes this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You might e-mail him and see what "Butt Ugly" tubes he's got with Baldwin, Conn, Hammond, or other "organ". branding. Those rebrands are generally selected for low noise, low microphonics, etc.

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Got this pair in a box of loose tubes at a yard sale. They saw extensive duty in my Pro Junior at one time. Good sound. Definitely "worth it", in my case.

(Sorry for the crappy pic)

DSC04143.JPG

19. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

No

D'tar likes this.
  20. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

Got the tubes. They looked better in person than in the photos! I put one in a Germino Bass 35 (1986) and it smoothed out of the top end. The other went into a Germino Classic 45 (JTM) and gave more definition and clarity to the notes. Very pleased with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.