How are the MIJ double bound 62 customs?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Dec 17, 2014.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Me...go to tokyo?! Well, you certainly don't know me or my life....trust me, that will happen long AFTER hell freezes over ! :D But yeah, that blond is awesome looking. It will be my #1 choice, but i also can't be too picky due to the situation. I'm going to email a seller with that color tho and ask him if he can give me a weight and cut me a better deal closer to Ishibashi. Maybe he'll bite, who knows. It would look great sitting next to my MIM classic 50's in trans white blond.

2. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Superbadj that is a nice looking guitar

3. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks muudcat.

Bought it in '89. It's an 85. July. My first electric!

Hard to believe it's almost 30 years old. When this thing was made, a 30 year old tele was a '55!

4. Smurfy

Smurfy TDPRI Member

I`ve got a 62 Custom made in 2001 and a 72 Custom both CIJ, the 72 is my favourite guitar by a long way, I changed the pickups for a Creamery 72 set (bridge and neck balanced at mid 10k, no drop in volume switching between the pups) and had all the electrics replaced with CTS and Switchcraft stuff, but the neck and body fit and finish are just superb. I also changed the tuners on the 72 because they were Gotoh modern type and were just wrong, there wasn`t anything wrong with the parts I removed but I wanted it to be as close to original US spec as possible. I`m looking for a Japanese Thinline now and wouldn`t hesitate to buy another Japanese Fender of any variety.

5. fender4life

Well, it is, but i finally got him to send me the weight ! No pic, but i don't see to many rosewood board with major color streaks, which is what i want to avoid. Guess i'll take my chances on that. Just waiting for his reply to my last email on getting this done and it will be one the way. The vintage white with black binding that is. :D

[​IMG]

6. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

nice looking guitar - there's an ongoing thread around here somewhere over the colour of this guitar. it doesnt reproduce well and any two photos you see show a different tinge. however, having held it, the colour is magnificent; a guitar that even non-players want to pick up.

and for what it's worth - when you get the cash, think about an SD little 59 in the bridge and a twisted tele in the neck.

7. fender4life

Thanks, but not for me. I'm not a fan of the lil 59 at all and like vintage tele tone to the max. So first thing will be to throw a american switch and pots in it then a american 62 tele custom bridge pickup and my all time fav neck, a dimarzio twang king.

As to the color, because the weight was ok but a bit more than i wanted, i emailed him back to see if he can weigh a burst for me too. If it's lighter i may go that way as much as i love the white. Plus i'm not sure i like the black binding. I'd like to see it with a dark creme or such.

Biggest problem with japan is they are asleep when you email so it takes forever to sort things out ! I'll likely have all the details worked out in a week the way it's going. Also, do you know how it works with paypal? How do you send yen not to mention being sure the rate doesn't change as you are figuring it all out.

8. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

So one of these came up at a good price locally.

Tempted. Can it be made to twang with the right pickups? I ask because the one I had didn't really sound so much like a Tele with the original Texas Specials.

9. muronero

muronero Tele-Meister

the white one is nice (I saw that in person)... difficult to render on pictures....

even though i personally prefer other colors: the candy apple red is lovely as well as the ice blue and the transparent blue (but in that case ask for the pictures of the guitar, cause u wanna make sure you like the wood texture, some of them are gorgeous, others not that great)...

a personal note on the pickups: on mine i did install the 62 tele set.... on another tele I have the di marzio twangking neck: to be honest the two neck pickups (di marzio tk and the 62 tele) are not that dissimilar; they are both really clear pickups, but the 62 sounds more vintag-ish. In the 62 tele set the two pickups complement each other nicely.

here i made a comparison sometome ago....
    soundcloud.com/cupid-on-cocaine/telecasters-sound-check

the first guitar is a classicvibe 50ies with a dimarzio twangking at the neck
    the second one is a fender japan 62 tele with US 62 tele pickups set.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.