How are the Fender American Special Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by somanyteles, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I have a sunburst and white - awesome guitars and my faves. Unrefined, basic, vintage look and feel with great pickups.

farmcaster likes this.
  2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

You're going to LOVE IT! :)

3. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

I have one in sunburst and love it. The jumbo frets felt a little different at first but now I don't even notice them. Love the pickups and build quality as well.

4. somanyteles

somanyteles TDPRI Member

Awesome. Very cool to hear that most love their Specials.

5. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Great guitar, I've got the lake placid blue with rosewood board. The jumbo frets don't bother me as I own guitars with vintage and medium jumbo. It's a nice AM guitar for under a grand and of you got yours for 850 that's not a bad price for a new am tele. I like the am special more than the modern standard. It just feels, looks, and sounds more telecaster to me. My avri 52 is my favorite Telecaster to play when I want that vintage telecaster vibe.

6. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I love mine (2013 in Oly White). Best Tele I've ever owned or played. The frets haven't been a problem for me.

farmcaster likes this.
  7. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Been using one for about 6 months. IMO it's the way to go if you want vintage and American timber. I thought I wouldn't like the 9.5 and jumbo fretts. I was wrong love it! I like the neck a lot! Great for bends! I also like the CS Texas Specials and the Grease Bucket circutry.

The pups have a bluesy twang to them.

My only complaint: the two saddle pins on both the low and high E strings of the bridge needed to be filed down. They stuck up to high (it was an easy fix with a file) Later I changed the saddles to Rutters stainless steels ONLY because by other Tele's already had brass...and I wanted a little bit of additional difference in tone.

The guitar is great stock right out of the box. Really doesn't need any mods

somanyteles likes this.
  8. Allan 65

Allan 65 TDPRI Member

I had a one and sold it to get a MIA Standard, I didn't like the Texas Special Pickups, but its a personal thing really.

boris bubbanov and somanyteles like this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I got an Am. Special Strat a couple years ago, it's a great guitar; zero complaints.

Marln864 likes this.
  10. Marln864

Marln864 TDPRI Member

I have one & I love it. I put a white p/g on mine.

jannodude likes this.
  11. billiemorini

billiemorini Tele-Meister

Well...they are special...

12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Good choice, if I DO say so myself!

I LOVE mine:

[​IMG]

13. Marlin B

Marlin B Tele-Meister

I have a MIM Nashvegas, was really content, (as I mainly play acoustic), got a deal on an old tube amp, playing more, wasnt shopping, a friend had a few years old Special, needed cash for a banjo, I gave him 5 bills,(2 tiny dings, but I buy 'em to play, not to look at) cant stop playing it. Taking today for proper set up. The Special and Nashvegas make a nice duo.

14. somanyteles

somanyteles TDPRI Member

Awesome to hear all this good stuff about American Special! I still have to wait till August 10 to get the Vintage Blonde model, but that is the color I want, though the sunburst one does look nice.

jannodude likes this.
  15. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I have a 2015 American Special in Vintage Blonde and like it very much. One small concern was that both E strings felt perilously close to the fretboard edge in comparison with my MIM FSR Deluxe Ash neck. Soon got used to the different feel though, and I really like the jumbo frets; big bends feel luxuriously smooth and slinky-like something out of the Victoria's Secret catalogue...:)

16. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

My american special is my favourite. Love the vintage look. Great pickups imho.

17. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I'm an AV Tele guy, but if I weren't, the American Special would probably be the Tele I'd be playing. They are a gem in the Fender line. It seems like Fender put some product/market fit into these. What I mean by that is there isn't anything gimmicky about them; they are a player's guitar. The aesthetic is that of a 70's Tele that is in reality probably a lot nicer than the original 70's Teles.

Great if you play rock or blues. Those are the kind of players who most appreciate the flat radius/jumbo frets/hot-pickups/three-barrel-bridge combination.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    farmcaster likes this.
  18. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

"Vintage"/original frets, 7.25" board: more comfortable if you play a lot of chords or play long gigs

Jumbo frets, 9.5" radius board: easier to bend up or down, more appealing to blues and hard rock players

19. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

Did we get an NGD post for this with photos. Remember, No Photo, it didn't happen

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I guess. But this exact color choice has been the focus of at least a dozen NGD threads on this model.

What makes it better than the Am. Standard? Better bridge arrangement (you can't "fix" the Standard with the 5 screw mount), and the unnecessary Tilt feature is not there; better colors. But the real advantage is over the Highway One - the Highway had probably the worst pickups a USA Tele ever had and these Specials have some of the best.

I have 5 of these Highways (the preceding model). Every pickup (except the neck pickup in one) is replaced, and every Highway has a neck borrowed from someplace else. Every once in a while I bolt up one of these Special style necks with the huge fretwire and it stays on there a couple weeks then it comes back off again. I'm making something of an effort to acclimate to them. Not making much progress.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.