How are the Fender American Special Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by somanyteles, Jul 5, 2016.

1. somanyteles

somanyteles TDPRI Member

Hi all. Ok, I just ordered a brand new Fender American Special Telecaster in Vintage Maple Blonde with Texas Special Pickups, and Maple Fretboard, from Musician's friend for a flat $849.99 because of the 4th of July 15% off coupon and no tax with free shipping, regularly priced at $999.99. It won't ship till the 15th of July, so I won't be able to play it for a few weeks. They had the sunburst model in stock and ready to ship, but I went ahead and got the Vintage Blonde model, which wasn't immediately available.

What do some here that have one, or played one, think about this particular guitar? Did I get an at least ok deal on this guitar? Which color do you prefer?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Marln864 and jannodude like this.
  2. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Quality seems to be high. For me, the issue with these has always been the jumbo frets. You either like 'em or you don't. Actually, there's also the possibility that you could get used to them. I think they're a good opportunity to get MIA quality at the lowest new price, if the specs work for you.

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They are a good tele- you won't have any worries IMO. I have an Olympic white one and it hold its own with my other American teles. I like the neck.

JayFreddy and somanyteles like this.
  4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I don't mind the jumbo frets (that seem to be the biggest complaint for many on this model) and while the neck isn't my favorite, it's still absolutely fine.

The build quality of the three or four I've played has been very good.

You got a good deal on that one.

somanyteles likes this.
  5. somanyteles

somanyteles TDPRI Member

Thanks for the responses guys. The jumbo frets will definitely not be an issue for me as I do prefer them!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member

I've had a few Teles over the years-MIM, American Standard, American Deluxe, Custom Shop, and most recently a Vintage Blonde American Special (plus I still have a semi-hollow G&L ASAT Special). Out of all of those guitars, the American Special is my hands down favorite. I love the neck, the frets, the bridge, plus it's a very back friendly 7.2#s. At some point I would entertain the idea of switching out pups, but that is simply preference & curiosity, not mandatory.

fender68, Ripradiant and somanyteles like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, the Guard is Changing.

Once, these frets would've been too large for most players. More and more new players prefer them and others are adapting to them - sometimes just to be staying on the leading edge. And I'm getting left behind since they're not right for me.

fender68 and somanyteles like this.
  8. somanyteles

somanyteles TDPRI Member

Yea, more than likely the pickups will stay. I want to try to keep everything stock.

Pcaluaru likes this.
  9. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Congrats the new Axe

fender68 and somanyteles like this.
  10. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Congrats! I have a Highway 1 which is pretty similar and love it dearly!

somanyteles likes this.
  11. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

You are getting a nice guitar. It may need a set up like most new guitars do, but it is a workhorse guitar. The pickups aren't as twangy as some, but still twangy enough and real meaty. Nice choice my friend. :)

somanyteles likes this.
  12. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

I like mine, I did change over to Fralins, B & W B-Bender

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    somanyteles likes this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! I bought a special early this year, but couldn't get on with the jumbo frets in the end, so traded on it. I had the LPB special, it was beautiful, but...ah, well it's gone now....

somanyteles likes this.
  14. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

I have an American Special Tele (the one in my avatar pic) that I bought used and it may well be my favorite guitar of the handful that I own. As far as jumbo frets go, I have never understood the complaints against them. In fact I didn't even know that mine had jumbo frets until I read about it after the fact and after playing it for a few days. I have guitars with all of the various ranges of fret sizes and when going from playing one to the next I take no notice at all of the frets and their effect on playability.

I can't speak to the Tex pickups because the former owner had installed Fender N3 noiseless pups in mine. (the same ones that come in the Tele Deluxe). I'm sure that I'd have been happy with the stock ones but I do enjoy the N3's.

The Am Special is a very nicely made, classy Telecaster. And, you've made a great color choice in the blond. Report back after you've received yours and had a little time with it.

somanyteles likes this.
  15. somanyteles

somanyteles TDPRI Member

Lol, I was just about to post that. I am suprised that some don't like Jumbos. I find it easier to bend.

16. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

I have a couple. They have wider necks than some teles. Love the jumbo frets, although 40 years ago they would of been called perhaps medium or medium jumbo.

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, not sure on the jumbo frets thing, I can't really put my finger on it (no pun intended), it's probably just about feeling right, and jumbos just don't do it for me. I've had a couple of American special Strat's too, same thing. I suppose there's definitely a comfort issue.

18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

You got a good price on a new one. I paid just about that much for mine 2 years ago, right before the big price hike. If you are used to playing medium-jumbo frets like on the American Standard Tele's and Strats (and others ), you should have no problem adapting to the jumbo frets. A wise decision to wait for the blonde to be available.

19. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

Great guitars...just got a used blond after letting one get away ...the frets are a non issue IMO in fact there are no issues ..as another pointed out the pickups are something that can be changed if you need more of this or less of that ...in a word these guitars are truly "Special" july 5 006.jpg

Marln864 and Ripradiant like this.
  20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have one in LPB, and its nice. The frets take a little getting used to, but they're fine. Like someone above said, they make it very easy to bend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.