1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How are Builders Coping with Delays

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Collin D Plonker, Jan 16, 2021.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

When I got into this game (in the Triassic) I had to mail forms (which you requested by mail) and send to CF Martin 1833 shop (which then was a shop). You had send payment (checks were ok) and calculate your own shipping (with a handy table they gave you) then wait the 3 to 4 weeks a decent sized order took. No internet but you could do phone orders by long distance charge.
    Today is nothing like then, things seem to go where they can handle the load ATM. I have gotten letters from the main post office and packages from whoever HAD (past tense) an agreement with USPS. This didn't happen UNTIL the virus BS so I don't think it's just because we changed presidents

Dave

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

FedEx has never been as good as the other shippers. They have had great advertising though.
    This postis favorite.jpg

crazydave911 and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  3. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

standard waiting period for me is 2 - 3 months. takes about 4 weeks to reach our shores but then get stuck in customs. Get over it if you're just waiting a few weeks

It's a first world problem

crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As far as ordering stuff, I've just accepted that I'll get it when I get it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have to say PLS did a great job of communicating with me when my package was hung up in November and December.

But I also have some good news. I placed another order in January and got it in right days. But that was a small padded mailer (regular envelope size), so don't get your hopes up.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It's the reality of living in the middle of a pandemic.

Sick or quarantined employees, massive increase in mailed packages.

It may very well get worse before it begins to improve.

One of my favorite suppliers is PLS.

PLS is in Pennsylvania, a state that borders the one I live in.

I placed an order that was shipped 12 days ago - rumor has it that it may arrive today, but I'm not holding my breath.

I could have walked to Philly and back by now, walking just 8 hours a day and resting on weekends :).

I try to do my best to accept it for what it is. They say patience is a virtue. I'm probably not quite as virtuous as I could be ;).

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Yes, it sure is :).

When we are so exceptional and pampered, it's just not fair to have to wait ;).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

:lol::lol::lol:

old wrench likes this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A good friend (and woodworker) of mine in Arkansas sent a package of goodies to our older daughter for Christmas. It was sent priority mail and there was a sticker on the box indicating that the expected delivery date was 21 December 2020. We received it...yesterday. It bounced back and forth between the terribly overburdened Philadelphia distribution facility and Jacksonville Florida. Twice. Needless to say, those cookies are not going to be edible.

OTOH, I bought a Festool CSX drill/driver from another member of the sawmillcreek dot org community that he had won in a raffle the other day. I wanted a second for "two fisted" assembly work without having to use a heavier tool for one process. He sent it UPS. I got it two days later...from much farther than Arkansas. LOL

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  10. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

That's a great story about the cookies!!

Helmut and his wife sent us cookies as well for Christmas. Sent weeks before in order to arrive on time, if my memory serves correctly it took 5 weeks to get to us. Just an FYI, they live less than 60 miles from us!

Another fun story about shipping. I ordered a new Bass guitar from Thomann located in Germany. I placed the order on January 18th, they didn't ship until the 20th and I received the bass on January 22nd! From Germany!!

It arrived via UPS... but I'm not sure how it was shipped originally, but the shipping cost was about $25.00 less than a guitar I shipped to California via UPS Ground about a week ago!

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

The UPS tracking on my package shows it's been sitting in Cincinnati for 11 days.

John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  12. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

If I ever need a implant chip for an infant, they will be my first choice.

Lowerleftcoast and crazydave911 like this.
  13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yea...I figured he wasn't all that far as I've been having a conversation with him for something.

The IRS still hasn't cashed a check I mailed to them on 30 December that was due 6 January...Philadelphia to Amherst isn't all that far and it was handed to a postal worker, too. I can't wait until they try to claim I paid it late. :) :D

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  14. boop

boop Tele-Holic

I simultaneously mailed some stuff to both Nebraska and Connecticut (35 miles away). The Nebraska stuff got delivered in days, the CT stuff took weeks, going back and forth on i-91.

I like Sam Adams for coping, but I also found a nice Tempranillo if you like reds

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.