1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How are Builders Coping with Delays

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Collin D Plonker, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I am building an original design guitar, and I have been slowed down beyond belief by shipping delays on parts and supplies. It looks like the post office isn't getting any better post- Christmas than before. I don't have a lot of local resources. I have tried to order from Amazon where I can, but a lot of stuff on there goes through other shippers. I guess I could drive 1-1/2 hours to Philly, but I don't really want to. Any tips on getting guitar parts and supplies quicker?

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Request Fed Ex shipping?
    I just bought a pedal that was listed as free Fed Ex 2 day but the sent it USPS 4 or more day with the emphasis on more.
    A few days ago a set of Sperzels arrived that were shipped Nov 16!

MrGibbly and crazydave911 like this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I ordered lumber with FedEx shipping, but it still took quite a while, maybe 2 weeks. That could have been on the supplier end, though. Anyone else having slow FedEx shipping?

crazydave911 and telemnemonics like this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I ordered some parts to finish a build and USPS first class had here in less than a week. I think it is luck of the draw.

5. telemnemonics

Suppliers are a mess now too, my wife ordered some artists brushes and after a few weeks the supplier just canceled with no explanation.
    I noticed the spices are cleaned out at the grocery store.
    Bored folks finding fun projects at home much?
    Good plan until the wrench hits the gears!
    Nabbed some nice curly maple at HD and ordered an ebony bass fingerboard blank, but....

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

FedEx has never been as good as the other shippers. They have had great advertising though.

7. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

I ordered plenty of parts for my new Esquire build off Reverb, most came within a week. HOWEVER I bought a control plate of Guitar Parts Factory on the 4th and it's still not here, so I agree with the depends on the item, seller, and shipper.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Most dependable (speediest as well) atm:
    1) UPS
    2) FedEx
    3) USPS - which I'm avoiding atm, I've ordered too many items in the last several months that take 3-5 weeks to arrive.

I'd expect the best way to handle this for builders would be manage expectations on turnaround time if selling your stuff; if just building something for yourself... wait, or pick something else that will get the job done.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Ordered something via. FedEx California -> BC, Canada. No problems.

10. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Honestly it seems that the amount of packages being shipped has increased greatly because of the pandemic. Obviously this causes delays.

On the USPS website there is a banner saying that they are currently short handed due to covid.

I've been ordering parts and supplies for that past two months. They come mostly through USPS and UPS and it is hit or miss if anything gets to me on time. But I have noticed an improvement since after January 1st

Also have been selling stuff on Reverb via USPS (parts not guitars) and they have all been delivered in a timely fashion.

Of course I had a package shipped via UPS Red Saver on a Friday and didn't get it until the following Tuesday! Was shipped a package from Rhode Island to my house via USPS Priority and that took almost two weeks.

Sent a package via USPS from my house to Boston, a 3 hour or so drive and it took almost two weeks.

Then I ordered something from Amazon and got it the next day, on a Sunday no less via USPS.

It seems as though the issues are varied and can be tough to figure out, just need to allow extra time for delivery. I have a new build that I'm not starting until early spring, I've been gathering parts since before Christmas and keep ordering more. They are coming in, just slowly.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I don't doubt this :mad:, I got wood from Calgary, was shipped to Vancouver (wtf?) Where Customs sat on it for two weeks :eek:, then sent across the border to our customs (in San Francisco :eek:) who also sat on it for two weeks. THEN sent it across the country to my home in EAST TENNESSEE! Right before Christmas.
    Ordered parts as customary in Ontario, sent Par Avion. Was also sat on two weeks (so not just wood) . Instead of coming on puddle jumper to Buffalo as normal, came full fledged jet to Chicago :eek: , where yet again our customs sat on it two weeks. THEN put it in snail mail to me in Knoxville TN. I mean WTF? I've always had a good working relationship with Canada, almost 20 years, now this? :confused::mad::confused::mad:

John Nicholas and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

one has several choices.. You can get hyper and have a stroke.. You can bug the everlovin' cack out of the supplier, expecting them to just go "fix" the international bottle neck this plague has caused, Or you can just plow through, accommodating the suppliers you depend on.. and recognizing the angst your customers are going through..

I have a couple that are going on a year old.. it's making me friggin crazy...

I'm a "type A". I do not wait well...Not at all.. If I can handle it, so can you..

r

13. Scoops

Scoops Tele-Meister

Ordered stuff from England (I'm here in the states)England's postal service and USPS took a little over 3 weeks. Most of the time was spent in customs.

USPS took a couple extra days to deliver a piece of walnut, so this was a tad late

Ordered from Amazon with mixed results. One order took 3 weeks, another order got to my house in 2 days. The 3 week order was sort of funny. I ordered 10 bass string trees. The vendor placed each individual string tree in it own bubble wrap. So yes, I got 10 packages. Somebody lost money.
    Amazon example: Ordered 3 bottles of CA yesterday. Shipping notice says I'll get it today

Ordered other items shipped via FedEx. All about a day or 2 late, as usual

One outstanding order is vendor direct, and a custom part. That was 3 weeks ago, and I'm told it will be another 3. This is to be expected.

So I guess I'm seeing just a small slow down here

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I always have too many things to do, it seems, so I always have what's needed to do one of them.

I am just about out of lumber, though. I usually just go down to Home Depot for the planed, dry stuff, but I'm isolating pretty thoroughly for the Covid. Once a year I usually go to a local sawmill for a trailer-load of rough hemlock/fir, but he was closed this year, hiding from the virus, I guess. I usually do some carpentry stuff during the winter, but I won't get very far without a little lumber.

So I'm gonna put together a light bar w/ four little led spots - two pointing forward, two pointing aft - and u-bolt it to the roll bar on my tractor. That way, if I wanna shove stuff around in the middle of the night, I'm good.

Sounds like a rock-solid, sound, commonsensical thing to do, eh? (Besides, I already have the parts.)

15. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The largest USPS distribution center in the country is in Philadelphia and they are totally hosed by both the volume they experienced and because of so many folks being out with COVID-19 diagnosis or exposure/quarantine. There are boxes to the rafters. So I agree with the suggestion that it may be wise to pay a little more for shipping and insure that a package will remain with FedEX or UPS all the way to your door, rather than being handed off to USPS for the final mile. I had a package from Philadelphia Luther Supply that was delayed two extra days...and I live about 35 minutes from where their warehouse is. They don't have pickup; ship only, but they did call the postmaster on my behalf to find out why my package was delayed even though it showed as "delivered". Good folks.

16. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

I was talking with our mail carrier just before Christmas about a package that was lost in transit somehow. He said the post office was a mess every where. He said they had a truck drive down from Rochester to the philly distribution center. When the driver got there, they told him it would be 24 hours at least before they could unload his truck. He turned around and drove back to Rochester .

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  17. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

That's a little strange. AFAIK Canadian Customs do not look at packages exiting the country, only coming into the country. Probably sitting at Vancouver for US Customs? But then it should not have been held up a second time.

You may want to blame Trump for that. Changes in the NAFTA and tarrifs on things like softwood lumber, steel, and dairy products have upped the "due diligence" on parcels going both ways. This started pre-covid and hopefully will end soon.

Cheers Peter.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

Waiting well, yeah that's maybe a hard wired part of human nature; we have it or we don't.

My MIL bought me a pile o' spendy T shirts from American Giant for Christmas.
    Early enough in normal times but not for 2020 defunded USPS/ stuck at home shopping/ no Christmas travel etc.
    So she started harassing the brand while having those imaginary coronary events.
    After many assaults she got an email to the CEO who sent another bag o' T's I guess overnight!
    A couple days after Christmas the first bag arrived and I got ten T's for her hundred bucks.

Struggled a bit and thought I should send back one bag?
    IDK, times are tough and I always give my postal workers some love.
    Job gave a small Christmas bonus and some staff were irate.
    "We kept your business running and saved your butts!!!"
    "My kids won't get Christmas without that bonus!!!"
    (Shoulda saved yer summer earnings and not had all those $12 breakfasts and $50 dinners?)

I get it, many got no bonus, we all gotta wait for our just desserts.

RIP Lovepedal and Classic Tone.

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  19. telemnemonics

Gets harder and harder to buy gifts for my wife as she has no room for more stuff.
    Took a risk and bought her a NWT hand made demo sample negligee dress thing that I knew she at one time wanted, but it was in Canada.
    Dumb move on my part, right?
    Seller negotiated cheap or in the end more expensive private shipping, but with Canadian shipper tracking.
    Of course it arrived at customs and sat for IIRC weeks.
    Suddenly just in time it arrives before Christmas!

Kind of blew my mind plus it fit and she loved it.
    Seriously grateful for what I got and not too upset about what I'm waiting for.
    A few things are maybe a little bothersome...

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Just got a notice that my new custom truss rod was going to be shipped, since it shipped from Vermont on the 19th, and since Vermont borders New York, I figured the package would get here today or tomorrow at the latest....

Turns out that it's on a tour of the USA!

Check out where is was yesterday at 6:30pm!

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 7.59.05 AM.png

I wonder when I will get the package??

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.