How are AlNiCo covers mounted on Weber 12A125A's?

Uffepungen

TDPRI Member
Hello!

I just recieved a Weber 12A125A speaker. I strongly suspect it won't fit the amp without me removing the bell cover (I don't have the amp with me at the moment to confirm though, I hope to get it done this weekend).

No big deal of course. The speaker came with the sticker already attached to the cover. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if these speakers have a screw mounted cover, or is it a "rotate and pop" thing? I'd rather not remove the sticker just to find out there is no screw and I removed the sticker for no reason :) . Sounds stupid I know, but I'd rather keep the speaker in as good condition as I can if it turns out I don't like it and sell it.

I have a 16 year old Weber Silver bell, and the cover on that one is mounted with a screw, so I suspect this 12A125A might be as well, but since they are different models I thought I'd ask first.

Cheers :)

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
i have two of them and i pushed on each one's label and can't feel a screw underneath but it is a thick label. may want to contact weber for sure.

play music!

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Same as the other speakers with that kind of bell cover - peel off (or pierce) the label in the middle, there's a screw holding it on in the exact center of the back of the bell cover.

Uffepungen

TDPRI Member
Probably nothing to do but peeling off the sticker then to find out :)

I'll probably wait until after I've tried fitting the speaker as it is now (with cover on). But like I said I don't think it'll fit with the cover.

Intubator

Tele-Holic
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I've had both types by Weber. If its not screwed then there are three tabs on the base of the bell cover that fit into the speaker frame with spring pressure. Try using a small flat head screw driver between the cover and frame and twist to see if itll lift out. If not then its probably screwed in. This way you may be able to preserve the label, if that's important to you.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I've had both types by Weber. If its not screwed then there are three tabs on the base of the bell cover that fit into the speaker frame with spring pressure. Try using a small flat head screw driver between the cover and frame and twist to see if itll lift out. If not then its probably screwed in. This way you may be able to preserve the label, if that's important to you.

My Weber Signature was 3 tabs. BE CAREFUL. Tools punch holes in cones.

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
I traded for a couple of 12A125A's a few years ago, that came with no covers, and no Weber sticker. I suspect they had covers, but interfered with the application. No center screw hole either.
(Weber sent me a couple of stickers so they don't look completely naked!)

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I had an alnico I tried. The screw had glue on it.
Anyways even without the cover the mag would hit the
OT and no way would it fit. lesson learned.

Uffepungen

TDPRI Member
Alright everyone, thanks for your inputs! Here's an update, might be interesting for someone else wondering the same thing. My 12A125A had a screw in the middle (I had to take the cover off to fit the speaker, so in a way this thread was kind of pointless I guess :D ).

Maybe the cover mounting has changed over the years then?

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
Interesting - it looks like there are slots for the twist on type. My old ones have a plastic gasket on the rim of the cover, though it looks like yours does, too.

Uffepungen

TDPRI Member
Interesting - it looks like there are slots for the twist on type. My old ones have a plastic gasket on the rim of the cover, though it looks like yours does, too.
Yup, there are slots! Mine has four slots though as compared to the three mentioned in this thread. I love the speaker BTW

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Interesting. I have Weber 10A125s and 100s (actually P10R'S and Q's - oldies) and the all have a center screw.
Yeah, I had both those sets with the old numbers in quads many years ago, early 2000's I think. Man compared with today the prices were great!

Uffepungen

TDPRI Member
Yeah, I had both those sets with the old numbers in quads many years ago, early 2000's I think. Man compared with today the prices were great!
Man I gotta say, this speaker had a great price if it wasn't for the shipping and tax in Sweden. The cost for this was equal to an Alnico Blue here, but I already have one of those and wanted something different here. My initial thoughts are very very positive, this speaker sounds great. And from what I've heard, it will sound even better after a few hours of use :)