How and why to patch unused holes in chassis?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
If there is an unused hole in an amp chassis (in an unseen location), is it important to patch it? Does it matter if it's a large hole (like the size of a dime or a nickel) vs a small hole just for mounting screws?

For large holes, when patching it, should you use something electrically conductive? Can you just solder on a piece of sheet metal?

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
If the chassis is exposed I would see it as a safety issue with no impacts on the amps performance. If there is the slightest chance you or someone else (e.g. children) could poke their finger in there even when the amp is off I would patch it up by bolting a sheet of steel or aluminium over it (whatever metal the chassis is made of).

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
If someone else is going to touch it, then it should be patched. There are several reasons to keep other peoples fingers out of your amps surplus holes: Cuts and electrocution come to mind.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
My hardware store small-bits section has chrome hole plugs in 3/8" and ½" sizes, and I'm sure you can find other sizes on the web. For socket holes, Doug Hoffman and others sell blank covers that mount to socket mounting holes.

An unused PT cutout is a good place to hide your bitcoin lock code....

Jon Snell

Tele-Afflicted
If your amplifier chassis is in a box with a back on, most if not all are, why fill the blanks?
Safety is not compromised and anyone taking the amplifier out of the box knows the risks or they should not do it.
You are just making work for yourself to no advantage.

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Nope!!!
1641400747336.png

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
I like those too.

Unused holes are an attractive nuisance for dust incursion and curious fingers. View attachment 937450
This is one thing I was wondering about. How much should you worry about dust getting into the amp over time? What kind of problems can it cause, or is it likely to cause. The other main thing I'd be worried about is if, with enough, and large enough holes, the shielding effect of the chassis would be reduced.