How accurate is the black Fender 5 hole Pure Vintage pickguard?

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
I bought a well worn in 1998 52 AVRI Telecaster that has the 3 pickup JBE Barden pickup set in it. Would like to revert it back to 2 single coil Fender spec. That means a new pickguard. I'm kind of a stickler for accuracy when replacing something, and also try to use Fender parts. The Pure Vintage pickguard seems ideal, but from a few of the sales sites it's list as celluloid, and the old blackguards had lacquered bakelite guards. Do Fender make a bakelite pickguard, or is aftermarket the best/only option? Callaham has a nice one, but pricey.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Are you shooting for accuracy with regards to a 1998 52 AVRI or a 1952 Telecaster?

I understand the sentiment but beyond the expensive bakelite pickguard you'd be chasing a lot of other expensive parts to make the AVRI more perfectly accurate.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
Are you shooting for accuracy with regards to a 1998 52 AVRI or a 1952 Telecaster?

I understand the sentiment but beyond the expensive bakelite pickguard you'd be chasing a lot of other expensive parts to make the AVRI more perfectly accurate.
Not concerned about making it accurate to an AVRI. Just if I'm replacing something, I'd like to get it as close to 1952 as reasonably possible.

Also looking or something that will age in time since the guitar has some good wear to it.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
"Bakelite" from the 1950s is no longer made.
There is a sorta similar product called garolite, and some companies use that for close to bakelite repro guards.
Fender has sold Bakelite guards that were just plastic but had the edges rounded over like the old days.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Not concerned about making it accurate to an AVRI. Just if I'm replacing something, I'd like to get it as close to 1952 as reasonably possible.

Also looking or something that will age in time since the guitar has some good wear to it.
Prob get max satisfaction from a boutique maker using garolite, hand sanding, hand spraying, and charging the big bux.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
It's an interesting philosophy. Nobody would mistake an AVRI for a '52. So, wouldn't a Bakelite pickguard look out pf place on it? Wanting a Garolite pickguard on your guitar is perfectly fine in and of itself. You don't have to justify it.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
It's an interesting philosophy. Nobody would mistake an AVRI for a '52. So, wouldn't a Bakelite pickguard look out pf place on it? Wanting a Garolite pickguard on your guitar is perfectly fine in and of itself. You don't have to justify it.
Not trying to make anyone mistake it for a real 52, just trying to move it in the right direction while I have to replace something anyway. The current pickguard with the Bardens is likely bakelite and looks amazing, especially where the finger wear broke through to the fiberboard.

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
For the money, the Fender USA 5-hole pickguard for the '52 Reissue guitar is probably your best bet. It will restore your guitar to its original look and spec; and if you're looking to resell your guitar, most buyers will want to see the stock and original-style pickguard on it.

user name

Tele-Meister
I had a hard time finding one that wasn't glossy looking. I wanted a flat black single ply that looked like bakelite. I did find one, but cant remember where...

lerxst_x

TDPRI Member
I got the Pure Vintage pick guard for my Baja, I think it is some material similar to Bakelite. With the original pick guard I had static electricity sounds, the Pure Vintage guard solves that and looks better.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
For the money, the Fender USA 5-hole pickguard for the '52 Reissue guitar is probably your best bet. It will restore your guitar to its original look and spec; and if you're looking to resell your guitar, most buyers will want to see the stock and original-style pickguard on it.
This guitar has been altered and worn so much, it will never be a squeaky clean AVRI again. It's been routed (very well I may add), it's got big 6100 frets now, needs a vintage style bridge and brass saddles, the back of the neck was sanded to wood. I'll redo the pots and wiring because it's a bit of a resoldered mess. It also has a mix of honest to goodness tour wear and some relicing. But it plays fantastic, effortless, and looks like it has been through the war which I like. So I can spend a few hundred to get it back to standard tele 52-ish spec and still be well below one third of a custom shop relic.

4ZazK3A.jpg
ImvDjKk.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
This guitar has been altered and worn so much, it will never be a squeaky clean AVRI again.

Great looking tele. IMO if you want to go back to the early 50's, you should replace the knobs with domed vintage (new/relic) Fender knobs vs. the flat tops that are on there now. You could also pick up a plate with the 3 brass saddles that says Fender Pat Pend on it vs. the one that's on there now, which shouldn't run you more than 30-40 bucks. As for the rest, meh... looks good to me ;)

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
Great looking tele. IMO if you want to go back to the early 50's, you should replace the knobs with domed vintage (new/relic) Fender knobs vs. the flat tops that are on there now. You could also pick up a plate with the 3 brass saddles that says Fender Pat Pend on it vs. the one that's on there now, which shouldn't run you more than 30-40 bucks. As for the rest, meh... looks good to me ;)
Thanks! That's the plan! Thinking lightly aged Fender vintage bridge. May do the saddles myself. Might go with the angled barrel compensated type. Already ordered strap buttons and will do the domed knobs. Likely will put a set of Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups that I have in another guitar. Still pondering on that.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
When I got my Baja I was obsessed with making it as period as possible (I know I know how silly on a poly guitar)

Short of spending the big bucks I found the fender pure vintage 52 pick guard to be close enough

Has a nice matte look about it, and is made of some sort of fiber

takauya

Tele-Meister
Thanks! That's the plan! Thinking lightly aged Fender vintage bridge. May do the saddles myself. Might go with the angled barrel compensated type. Already ordered strap buttons and will do the domed knobs. Likely will put a set of Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups that I have in another guitar. Still pondering on that.
You should get the pure vintage dome knobs. Fender also sells slightly cheaper different type of dome knob set, which doesn't look as good as the pure vintage dome knobs. I have both of them. It's subtle but knurling on the PV dome knobs is heavier and easier to turn as well.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
When I got my Baja I was obsessed with making it as period as possible (I know I know how silly on a poly guitar)

Short of spending the big bucks I found the fender pure vintage 52 pick guard to be close enough

Has a nice matte look about it, and is made of some sort of fiber
Good to know. I thought it might be a smooth plastic feeling guard. And nothing silly in that if it makes the guitar the way you like. The Bajas have a great rep.