How about this idea for a workbench?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DugT, Jul 17, 2019.

1. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I'm considering using a rolling tool chest as a base for a workbench. It would fit all of my hand tools with room left over for organizing misc stuff too.

This is the tool chest I like for this project. It is 22" deep, 56" wide and 42" high. If it is too high I will remove the castors and put the chest on 2x4"s. I will attatch the top to a wall to keep it from tipping over. The top will be two sheets of plywood so about 2" x 28" x 66".

Any advice or suggestions? By the way, I don't plan to make any guitars.

[​IMG]

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You don't want it move.

verb boten likes this.
  3. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Sounds like you don't want it mobile? I know several guys who did it, thick plywood top with a vise mounted and all the tools right there, they actually used them as a mobile work area, good idea.

DrPepper and DugT like this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Benches can get beat up over time, I wouldn’t want to damage that roll away chest.

verb boten likes this.
  5. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I don't need it to move. It will be in a two car home garage and I don't work on my vehicles very much. I mostly work on things at the workbench.

verb boten and Mjark like this.
  6. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Me neither. I'm just a home hobbiest and I take good care of my stuff so I think the chest would be ok. This reminds me of the saying, "They are tools, not jewels." A friend of mine told me that because he thinks I'm too cautious with my tools and toys.

verb boten likes this.
  7. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

It really depends on what you are going to use it for. As a general flat work area, I think it would be fine. Those are great tool boxes for the money, so throw a piece of plywood on top and get to it. If you need to clamp things down, or add a vise though, I'm not sure how good that would work.

DugT likes this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Those sorts of chests are built to have hammers and stuff put on top by mechanics. I don't think you will hurt it

telemnemonics and Vibrolux59 like this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

You read my mind, I have similar in mind.

DugT likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

You can put a wooden top on it to mount vises or other. As far as the movement is concerned, sometimes that could be a hindrance and sometimes it could be an asset. Solution is locking wheels.

DugT likes this.
  11. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

They also make a heavy canvas "curtain" that can be unfurled to protect the front of the drawers.

DugT likes this.
  12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I'm using a similar one now.
    Well, I recently switched over. Funny thing - the top is so small that I haven't felt like doing any work on it since I made the switch. Oftentimes, I'll grab the sawhorses and big chunk of OSB I have laying around and make a bigger table if I need it.

Mine sits beside a pegboard wall with lots of stuff hanging on it. IMO, that's the only way to make it work. Having the usual quick-reach handtools and glues and supplies sitting on the tiny bench would take up so much room that it would be unusable. Got to get them up on pegboard or in a cabinet or something.

FWIW, I like mine on rollers. Easier to clean, easier to retrieve tiny things I drop. Easier to move across the garage for a special project if needed.

DugT likes this.
  13. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

I just got here, I'm not Florida man, yet...
    Keep the wheels on it. Even if you are going to use it stationary for 99% of the time, once its loaded, you won't be able to move it, it will be too heavy. Never know when you will need to get behind or under to clean or retrieve around it.

DugT likes this.
  14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I use one for a music workbench, golf club work bench, whatever workbench. Great idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Should work great.
    Add a tall lip to the back of the plywood top to keep small stuff from falling off the back and you can screw it to the wall through that back piece. Two screws into studs will hold it firmly and you can easily move it later for whatever reason.

I have a metal drill press workbench with an 8' plywood top double thick at the front and ends for clamping and bolt on vice etc.
    Two metal shelf units screwed to the wall support it but there's a 1" gap under the front.
    If a small tool rolls underneath it may be gone forever, though usually I can sweep it out with a stick.
    Gotta put a strip of something there because it annoys me to lose stuff under the bench!

stratofortress and DugT like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, impressive organization!

NYC, hmmm, is that located in the kitchen between the shower stall and the computer desk?

scrapyardblue and Chud like this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Personally, I would pass up on that idea, but I suppose it all depends on what kind of work that you plan to do on it. If you are gonna add a vice on it, forget it, unless you can attach it to a wall. My .02

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

those harbor freight ones are cool. Put 3.4 piece of plywood on top and you are set. go for it.

DugT likes this.
  19. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Thanks for all of the good ideas and suggestions!

I'd prefer a bigger top too so my top will extend beyond the sides of the cabinet. That way it will be easier to clamp things to it. The only thing I plan to keep on the top is a vice. There already is a pegboard on the wall and tool holder rack like this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    ukepicker likes this.
  20. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Lol. Downstairs studio in Queens.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fnkmstr and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.