How about the new Tonemaster amps in BLONDE!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rjtwangs, Aug 11, 2020.

1. stilwel

stilwel TDPRI Member

Enjoy! Love to hear feedback when you get it loaded up. We like the changes an awful lot.

2. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill TDPRI Member

Just installed the reverb-only patch on my Deluxe, as the ability to "jump" the Normal and Vibrato channels means that keeping the bright cap provides more options. Update completed without a hitch, and took maybe 10-15 seconds. There is definitely more sensitivity at the lower end of the dial, between 1 and 3+. You really can dial in "just a touch" of reverb a bit more subtly. Nicely done!

Edited for grammar...

rjtwangs and stilwel like this.
  3. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Andertons did a good compatison between the original and the Blonde Tone Master.

stilwel likes this.
  4. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Does the reverb patch shorten the reverb tail?

5. stilwel

stilwel TDPRI Member

No, just like on a reissue amp, it affects how much signal (send level) is driving the virtual reverb tank.

The reverb tail is affected by many things, including; input signal level, volume knob setting, reverb knob setting and the length of the springs. This is all accounted for in the Tone Master.

6. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I am a "tube only" snob.
    I tried a TM Twin.
    It recreates clean tube sound perfectly.
    Sounds as good as my '77 Twin w/JBLs, and 1/3 the weight.
    I was amazed. But I only tried it at low volume clean setting, even with the attenuator, I couldn't get it to breakup. I didn't crank it full volume, so I don't know how it will respond onstage.
    I would buy one, but with the lack of gigs due to covid..what's the point?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  7. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Modeling can emulate the sound, but not the "feel,dynamics,or touch sensitivity" of tubes.
    I think modeling amps are just the latest fad.
    But then again, I though relics were, too, back in '95.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Modeling does replicate the feel, dynamics, and touch sensitivity of tubes. 20 years ago it didn't, but today it does. I still use a tube amp sometimes, for the same reason some people my age still use turntables - nostalgia. In reality, all technology is a fad, and is eventually replaced by new technology.

Ironwolf and teleaddicted like this.
  9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not my experience with the Vox VT100X or the Tone Master Twin. Same "feel" as my tube amps. Comparing them side by side with my "real" Voxand Fender amps, and A/B/Cing the Twin with two "real" ones before purchase convinced me of that.

DrPepper likes this.
  10. PHutch

PHutch TDPRI Member

I did the Reverb Mod upgrade today in my TM DR and it's fabulous. Much more control in the range that I use.

stilwel and Alamo like this.
  11. drail

drail Tele-Meister

I did the Reverb and the No bright cap upgrade today on my TM DR, program was easy and quick. I played my tele and i love the changes it made. Great job Fender!

Ignatius and stilwel like this.
  12. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I thought I was a tube snob too. I had even started playing around with NOS/ANOS glass.

I absolutely love my Tone Master DR. Still love tube amps, but I think Fender really got it right. I just installed the new firmware to "clip" the bright cap and reduce the reverb and the amp is even better now. The DI out with the selectable IRs makes it so useful too.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Yep. And these forums are full of people who tried a $200 modeling pedal or beginner amp ten years ago, and they've concluded forever that they hate modeling. Technology changes and advances, things get better. There are countless examples. The first digital cameras didn't come close to the quality or warmth of a good film camera. And here we are today.

As I said in the post above, I love tube amps and there's still one or two on my bucket list to own/try. I'm not saying I'm a 100% modeling convert per se, but my TMDR is every bit as good as a tube amp.

If Fender comes out with a properly done TM tweed variant I will own one.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like your style Steerforth...

Steerforth and hepular like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.