How about the new Tonemaster amps in BLONDE!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rjtwangs, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

gridlock likes this.
  2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

But aren't Kemper and Fractal etc. in a lil' diff sonic league than the TM series?

3. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

If they would make this a table top with no speaker and just a headphone output, I could practice at night happily anywhere. I'd love a version in a princeton size, too. One can hope. But this is a great step. Can't wait to try/hear these.

ataylor likes this.
  4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I own 6 good tube amps, 2 good multi-voice modeling amps, and a TMTR. The TMTR goes with the tube amps for tone and responsiveness. It beats all but the AC4 and Valve Junior for portability. What I want is a Tone Master version of a tweed Bassman 4X10 combo.

5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

The Orange Terror Stamp is tempting for stuff like that.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'd say ignore what you see and focus on what your hear. We have the free will to do that.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Those who can't keep up with technology will not be the future of any kind of technology, including guitar amplifiers.

And you don't need a PC to operate digital amplifiers.

Ignatius likes this.
  8. Steerforth

Fender pulled the plug on FUSE. Did they mention that as a possibility when they marketed the amps? There seem to be a lot of posts by a lot of disgruntled customers around the Internet that suggest to me that maybe they didn’t mention that as a possible outcome.

I’m aware that modeling amps are steadily improving. But if I have to worry about them doing things like that, I’ll pass. I don’t want the amplifier equivalent of disposable diapers. The landfills are full enough.

Not all technological advances are good news. If they quit pulling things like the FUSE trick, I’ll think about it. Until then, I know quite a few people who can build or repair a tube amp. But I don’t know anybody who can build a digital modeling amp.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The Tone Masters don't use any external software. They are plug and play just like the tube versions. Their firmware can be upgraded if and when improvements are made. That is it.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Not to mention the TMs are far lighter than their predecessors, and have power scaling. There is no good reason for Fender to make any other TM blackface models from a business and manufacturing standpoint.

Steerforth likes this.
  11. Steerforth

If that’s the case, I might be interested in taking a look. How do they sound compared to an original?

If they’re like 95%, it might be worth it for the weight reduction alone.

pugnax likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

That’s pretty much the general consensus. If I were gigging regularly and/or relying on playing for income, I would buy a TMTR and never look back. But I’m just a hobby noodler with a nostalgic bent. So I prefer vintage tube amps for my mancave charity concerts for crickets.

scelestus, PBO Blues and Steerforth like this.
  13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Man, I thought that exact same thing as soon as I opened the link! "Why not go with the wheat grill?!" But good--I'd be tempted to buy one otherwise.

14. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

There are enough nice-sounding guitars and amps out there at every price point that I don’t feel the need to ignore what I see. Maybe I’m weird, but playing guitar is a multi-sensory experience for me.

I expect to enjoy the look, feel, and tone of an instrument, and that applies to an amplifier as much as it does to an acoustic or electric guitar.

Fair to say that I also have the “free will” to pass on something that doesn’t check those boxes for me?

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I would guess they are of a more advanced technology. The post I was responding to just asked why certain well known players that he listed didn't use 'digital' as evidence that tube amps are superior. He didn't specify Tone Master. He just said 'digital' so I listed some well known players who do use digital. And again, my preference is tube amps. I just thought his 'evidence' was weak.

16. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I've played a TM Twin in the store once and I liked what I heard coming out of that amp. If I did not already have a killer SS amp that is arguably more versatile (Yamaha THR100HD) I'd give the TM Twin a fair shake.

17. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but they don't play da mojo blooz....

boneyguy likes this.
  18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Yep, just like your car has been for a decade or two now.

Based on some responses and attitudes here though, I can only surmise that a fair number of posters are driving 60's automobiles.

unixfish likes this.
  19. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

@stilwel is also a member here on TDPRI:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...uxe-and-tonemaster-twin.2063724/post-31010977

Alamo, Ignatius and PBO Blues like this.
  20. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Death. I think we all have that one

Ignatius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.