How about that Samick Greg Bennette AVION(Thrift Shop Find)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Platefire, May 5, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine whose wife is learning guitar showed this to me yesterday that he had picked up in a thrift shop with a nice padded gig bag for $50. Wasn't but two strings still on it, in good shape, just dusty, plastic protective covering still on the back cover plates. The thing is really like new and don't think it ever been actually played.
    I told him I would take it home, clean it up, re-string it and set it up.

I cleaned it up with some Stu Mac Preservation Polish, installed a new set of Earnie Ball Super Slinky's and put it in tune. It's obviously a copy of a Les Paul Custom(pearl white), with Grover tuners, Duncan Design Humbuckers, Mahogany neck & Body with Maple cap. Everything works fine, neck is straight with strings tunes up and even the intonation is pretty much right on except the D string was a little flat in the 12 fret octave.

After the strings stretched I ran it through the paces with my JamMan back up tracks and Man! this thing plays great and sounds great. This one was made in Indonesia and appears on every hand----quality made! I'm not always a big fan of Duncan Design pickups but these are sounding excellent to me. I think they are HB101 and HB102 are the pickup models. The only problem I see is the weight in true LP fashion at 8 pounds which will be tough for his small petite wife. Oh yeah, one more problem---I'm starting to like this guitar way to much. What a deal! Platefire
    Samick LP.jpg

2. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Great score! Samicks are highly underrated. Enjoy!

3. Platefire

Har! You must not have read my post:)

Not mine, setting up for a friend and recognise it's quality and the great deal
    They made. Platefire

4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Half my collection is $50 +/- goodies, the other half I paid for by cleaning/setting up and selling such finds.

I have never had that particular model but several of the GB Malibu S-types and one of the Silvertone S-type that is the Samick "budget' line.

All were well made with decent F&F and played well, always fun to get a castoff going again, and give it new life w/ an appreciative owner.

Southpole, BB and bender66 like this.
  5. Platefire

Well one thing I have been noticing is even the cheapest of guitars made these days are adjustable or can be modded to play well by a good set up man. In my younger days the cheap guitars were made so badly there was almost nothing you could do to improve them. So guitar making technology has come a long way even with cheapest of materials.

That's just a general statement about rebuilding cast away finds and has nothing to do with the Avion which I would probably trade my Epiphone LP for if given the chance. This is my first experience with working on and trying out a Samick. Platefire

kookaburra and BB like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

7. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Samick made Some Epis back in the late 90s. I have some Epi Lp Jr P90 bolt ons which were made by Samick and some Korean companies. I prefer the Samicks

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have those very Dunc Designed pickups in a stock Squier S73 (SG). I'd previously yanked a set out of a Schecter XXX thinking they were meant to be replaced automatically. Surprisingly good pickups meant to mimic the JB/59 pair i think?

When the weight gets to her maybe they'll offer it up?

The import stuff of late is really good build quality. People shouldn't dismiss this stuff so easily.

Hope she enjoys it.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Samick ghost builds something like 80% of the import guitars for all the low on up to the fancy brands. Before they sold Greg Bennett house brand they used Artist Series for their own sales.

refin likes this.
  10. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

My Samick Avion 3 played clean over a B T . I'm very fond of this guitar and it is bone stock ..

Kenny

Hiker, MonkeyJefferson and Marcelo R like this.
  11. Platefire

Hay Thanks Kenny, great playing and tone! Does BT=Blackface Twin? Good demo for the Avion. I will have my eye out for a stray one of these in the future.

I delivered the ax to the customer this afternoon and she was so happy! She played it and sang some with it unplugged and she amazed me--much better than my best guess. I told her to get the widest strap she could find and it would help distribute the weight. Platefire

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  12. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

That is my Favorite guitar line ever. And Samick nailed it. The Greg Bennett line was not popular at all. Why I do not know? I visit the Greg Bennett site often. Congrats.

13. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I love these Greg Bennett.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

emisilly and Marcelo R like this.
  14. Platefire

Thanks for showing some of the different models. So the secret is out!
    Greg Bennette Samick's are good quality guitars wherever you can find them.
    As I understand it, they haven't been made in a while. However there are some on eBay marked as new? Don't know if those are NOS or not? Platefire

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  15. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

Hey Platefire ,

BT in this case means backing track ..
    I have a Blackface 1966 Vibroluxe Reverb yet, I used something else on the tune / vid I posted.

Speaking of Greg Bennett Samick guitars , here's my JZ 4 in action .

Acoustic recording

Electric recording

I'm very glad your friend is happy with the guitar you dialed in .

Kenny

MonkeyJefferson and kookaburra like this.
  16. Platefire

Amazing playing Kenny! The Lord has blessed you with great ability. That's the kind of jazz playing I always admired where one man and one guitar could sow cords and notes together in that way that sounds great without any other accompaniment. Also regarding the JZ 4, the guitar is producing some great Jazz tones. Can't help but wonder if there is a Polytone Mini Brute in there somewhere:>)
    Thanks, Platefire

kookaburra likes this.
  17. Platefire

I stopped off at my favorite Pawn Shop today while out shopping. Lo and behold a Samick Greg Bennette Interceptor. Basically a Metal guitar with a Floyd Rose type trem. All but two of the strings were missing, trem bar missing and the top part of locking nut was missing. It looks like some Metal want to be had his way with it. They had $150 on it. Not for me. I got rid of all my Floyd Rose types years ago.

Not discouraged though, I'll be looking for a GB one more my speed. Platefire

18. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I always wondered about Greg Bennett guitars. Didn’t know they were a Samick brand. Tried to have a look at his website but couldn’t load it for some reason. Was Bennett a well known luthier or something?

19. iamjethro

iamjethro TDPRI Member

mine. Seymour Duncan Vintage stack set is about the only change I made. GB FA1 1R.jpg

Mincer and Pickcity like this.
  20. Platefire

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is Greg Bennette talking about his guitars?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.