How about a review of something you’ve owned for more than say 2 years.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Sep 24, 2021.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

We all get new impressions. Which are often favourable. We’ve all seen I think a review that says ‘this might be my favourite ‘ and then 6 months later it’s been sold.

so how about something you have had for a while? Maybe you don’t love it anymore. Maybe it’s completely indispensable. No limits as to what it is except music or music related. (I know that rifle will be prised out of your cold dead hands. That’s great but let’s keep it a bit narrow Muisc or music related equipment).
    And Go!

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My pick punch?

Novelty gift, but it's been pretty good.
    Only regret - it can't make thumb picks...

:cool:

Fuelish, Fretting out and dlew919 like this.
  3. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but this is important...

What's the weirdest material you've used to make a pick out of?
    What's the thing you made a pick out of that you never thought would work in a million years, but works surprisingly well?

donrichfan and Fretting out like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

My SM58s won’t die. Believe me, I have tried to break them. They won’t die. How can a company survive if they make things that never need replacing?

5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I will start with the "Eastman" E10/ssv acoustic guitar. It's their take on a J-45. It required a newly cut nut and set up, but the shop took care of it. It's a Chinese built guitar, with all solid wood construction. It has great sustain, and is fantastic in it's playability, thanks to the short scale length (with .12s). It's a great mahogany/adi spruce guitar for the money. It's a fine choice for someone who wants to keep the price under $1,300.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No objection to hijack - but I think anybody's product review is subject to follow-up QQQs

For the punch I was given, the materials have been almost exclusively credit cards, gift cards and ID cards - varied stiffness "fwap-factor" is what I call it.

My fave material is a promo card from AARP.

Haven't tried a metal or coin or stone-based pick - wouldn't fit in this puncher.

Bruxist, donrichfan, Fuelish and 3 others like this.
  7. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I'll mention my MXR Prime Distortion pedal. I paid about $50 for it as a Guitar Center pedal a decade ago. It does what a distortion pedal should, without a lot of extraneous noise. I've never felt the need to "upgrade" it--it drives a clean amp into distortion while retaining string-to-string clarity.

Chicago Matt and dlew919 like this.
  8. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I think this is a great idea and I think it should be expanded upon. Most folks seem to present reviews of a new product within weeks or months of the original purchase. A "long term" minimum period of ownership 2 years review thread in each forum section pertaining to electric guitars, acoustic guitars, guitar amplifiers, guitar effects (pedal or rack), accessories, recording equipment, sound reinforcement, etc. would give readers a more insightful review that could include personal settings to achieve specific tonal qualities, tube or speaker upgrades that bettered the product, power supplies that work with the product, response from builders to questions about the product and / or honoring warranties, mechanical weaknesses ie. footswitch, pot, circuit flaws, neck issues, tuner instability, short lifespan / failure of the product, etc.

9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (40w 1x12 combo, made in the UK)

My particular amp is from 2007, so 14 years old now, I've owned it for about 10, I bought it used when realised that a lugging my JCM900 head and 4x12 around wasn't going to work these days and I wanted to start playing with friends again.

A lot of people don't like this amp, which is fine.... I've always liked the 2000 series and at the moment you can still buy them for not a lot of money (here in the UK away) .. for a made in UK valve/tube amp I think they are a bit of a bargain. (I paid £220 for mine and you can still find them for under £300) So a good choice if you want a UK made Marshall and don't have a lot of spare cash. A new DSL40c is £550 and no longer made in the UK and personally I don't like how they sound as much.

Unlike most Marshall amps this one has 4xEL84's for power tubes but I'm not sure that really matters, it doesn't make it sound like a Vox or anything like that.

The early manufactured models did have some sort of overheating issues I believe but I think past 2001-2002 those were sorted, mines never had any problems and I drive it pretty hard for hours at a time sometimes when the band is practicing or writing new songs.

There's obviously some cost-cutting going on with the manufacturing side... PCB mounted tube sockets etc, 'average' speaker but that's to be expected, I suppose.

It has clean and gain channels and you can crank the clean channel into mild overdrive quite easily, which I really like the sound of with my 'box of rock' running into it. It starts to compress quite a lot and you get a bit of that 'bloom' thing when you turn it up

If I want to use the amps drive then I use the 'crunch' setting on the drive channel set quite low and use the SHO side of the BOR to push it into more distortion. There's a higher gain setting on the drive channel but I don't use it.

There's a build in (digital, I presume) reverb that ok for running 'just a touch of reverb so it's not super dry' which is how I use it.

It's been reliable, it's plenty loud enough, made in the UK, inexpensive, small and light enough to deal with (just).... and sounds good to me for any kind of rock, punk, whatever. It still has the original Marshall branded valves in it too!

Does it sound like a good plexi? nope, do I care? nope.

10. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I have an SM57 that I bought in Fall 1975. Still works, the cable still works, and the plastic and foam bag still looks about new.

11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I bought this 2014 Les Paul Futura in 2018 from a store on Reverb. Someone took the robot tuners off and replaced them with Grover’s. Win,win! It has a Sidewinder noiseless p90 in the neck and a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge. Both pickups have coil split’s and there’s a 10% boost push pull also. Just a superb Les Paul and he sold it for $475, free shipping. No brainer. I have 2 other much more expensive Les Paul’s but this guy hangs in there with them. Chunky but not too fat neck, what’s not to love? 74A3AC6B-26A8-4BF4-8BCE-701AF65C7612.jpeg

Chicago Matt, Wound_Up, JL_LI and 5 others like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

No question, it is my Grote “jazz” hollow body. What a great surprise. With all of my much needed gear acquired, I thought it would be fun to just explore the P-90 world someday and then these $169 Amazon Prime deals came up and I snatched one. It is also my first thin-line hollow-body too. Well, I did have to buff out some blemishes, upgrade the output jack and pots as they started to fail quickly, but I am enjoying this guitar way more than the money spent would suggest. It really is astonishing in every way. I love what has to be a dirt cheap P-90. The neck is very stable keeping it high strung in open A for about a year and a half in a wood fired heated small house. And it is a sharp looking guitar on top of it all.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  13. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My 1964 Epiphone Pacemaker(not mine in the pic, too lazy to walk over and take a pic...) , I've owned it since 1982, recapped it, changed the tone stack, it sounds like an icepick in your eye with a Telecaster on bridge pickup plugged in, I love it!

ellhokj0x7wcwnmkoy2a.jpg

Chicago Matt, jays0n, Blister and 4 others like this.
  14. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

I've had my Larrivee acoustic for over 10 years. I bought it used at GC and I don't know the model. It has a bear claw spruce top and mahogany back and sides. It's still one of the best playing and sounding acoustics I've gotten my hands on. Sounds like a mix between a taylor and martin to me. Taylors have a high end I don't like. Sounds more lively than a Martin.

Mesa Mark V 90w. I love this amp. It has all the sounds I want. A fat clean Fender sound in channel 1. Smooth breakup like Santana Abraxas in channel 2 and channel 3 sounds like Metallica's Master of Puppets. I gigged it every weekend for over 5 years without anything more than a pre amp tube going bad in the middle of a gig and I lost channel 3. When I moved up to Chicago I was in a crappy apartment and the amp was damaged by a surge from the A/C compressor kicking on. I had it repaired but now I'm somewhat scared to play her as it was a pita to find someone to work on it up in Chicago.

Parker Fly Deluxe 1999. Bought used off ebay. This was my main guitar for a long time before I decided I want something simpler and found the awesomeness of the Tele. Still love that guitar it plays like butter. I hate it having to take a 9 volt and it has way too many knobs and switches. The trem is pretty good but doesn't flutter like a floyd or standard. You better like the pickups because if you want something else you have to get Dimarzio to custom wind you a set. The pickups don't have mounting ears and are mounted to the guitar by 2 of the pole pieces.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    dlew919 and Cali Dude like this.
  15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Larrivee makes awesome guitars. Sounds like a great axe.

dlew919 and Zoso420 like this.
  16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    EHX Soul Food… a cheap, nasty, poorly made, unreliable, nasal sounding POS.

17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Every guitar I own I've had for more than 2 years, except for the 2 Bullet Teles I got on sale from MF last summer. My two American Strats, the Performer, my avatar, and my Pro, are the two most expensive Strats I've ever had, and the two best, out of dozens of Strats I've had over five decades. They just keep getting better all the time. I love both the necks and both the pickups, although they're quite different, with the Performer neck being a bit more modern, and the V-Mod pcikups on the Pro being a bit more modern. I honestly can't say which one I like more, because they are both so awesome playing and sounding.

dlew919 and Cali Dude like this.
  18. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

I love this guitar. I just don't play it much because it's a big bastard.

upload_2021-9-25_17-50-51.png

It plays especially well even when it's not plugged in.

19. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’m coming up on a year with my profile pic guitar, that’s a major milestone in itself for my insane GAS I’m trying to tame.

So, with that said, I’ll review my lowly Lexicon Alpha interface. I’ve had it for about 12 years now. It’s been used for hundreds of recordings. You can find one for $30-40 on Reverb right now. It’s dead simple for what I do, which is all direct guitar sounds into various software sims.

At one point I tried a Focusrite interface, and I couldn’t justify keeping it. For what I do, the Lexicon was just as good to my ears. I’m sure mic pres are better on others and yada yada, but for a simple affordable direct guitar solution, you really can’t go wrong.
    D246AF9D-89B5-482D-8541-D1F2F5AA9E36.jpeg

20. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Reinhardt 18w 1x12 Marshall clone.
    I had been reading about Bob’s amps for quite a while and was on another forum with him. He was hinting about hiring someone to help him build. I decided I wanted one

When I picked it up from the PO I was impressed with the packaging for shipping. Got it home, unpacked, setup on the dining table, installed the tubes, grabbed my strobo stomp, 2 cables, my SG & tele.
    From the first E7 chord I was in love. The sound I’ve heard in my head forever. No, not the voices!

This is the best amp I’ve ever owned. It does everything I need and I have no idea what I would replace it with if I needed to

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.